PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What are you making for dinner?

Options

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,223 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    @C_J   Gold star for you! Are you local ?
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not any more, but back in my teens I lived in Cheltenham and had school friends in Worcestershire!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 May at 3:13PM
    Options
    Had to rub my eyes in Aldi when olive oil was 5.99 from 2.99 😫 I used to buy in 5 litre cartons from a Greek producer but that has skyrocketed too at over 55 from 30 🫣

have a few packs of minced beef in the freezer, so will make Mongolian minced beef with ginger, garlic, spring onions - over rice for him, bean sprouts for me
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,772 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Had to rub my eyes in Aldi when olive oil was 5.99 from 2.99 😫 I used to buy in 5 litre cartons from a Greek producer but that has skyrocketed too at over 55 from 30 🫣

have a few packs of minced beef in the freezer, so will make Mongolian minced beef with ginger, garlic, spring onions - over rice for him, bean sprouts for me
    That'd be the bad olive harvest then!!

Meanwhile at Chez Brie someone has bought pasties and plans on having beans with them.  I've agreed even though I'm not found of beans with dinners like this and especially as they're sugar reduced beans which means they've got sweeteners in them instead.  

And today at the foodbank there was another excess of bread so I brough home 2 loaves.  One a crusty white and the other appears to be one with olives and tomatoes in it.  And then just as I was leaving I was asked if I could clear the fridge of the left overs from Wednesday night (community supper).  I said no to the shepherds pie (rather regretting that now) but did grudginly agree to take 3 pieces of homemade cheesecake.  I've some straw&raspberries in the fridge here so they'll top that off nicely.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    It’s Friday so Hubby cooks, or should I say provides dinner 🤣

fingers crossed for a sunny bank holiday weekend 🤞😊

£300/£130
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,772 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    fish and chips for tonight.  with mushies.  OH will have a buttered roll and potentially make a chip butty as well.

He's also bought a gammon roast from our meat guy and suggested that's for Sunday.  I snuck off to Lidl to get my 10% off worth and bought some lamb leg steaks, pita and dips so if it's sunny enough maybe we'll sit out and have that instead.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

I finally got around to making these fritters which were surprisingly easy and quick although the oil does spit like nobody's business.

Eaten with massive fridge raid salad dressed with last bit of dressing I made earlier in the week followed by sliced pineapple and banana and a decaf coffee.

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
  • Islandmaid
    edited 25 May at 8:32AM
    Options
    Suns out already, blackbirds are belting out their song, coffee in hand - perfect 😍 

OH is going to clear an area of the garden that started as vegetable beds, but now it’s just the 2 of us we don’t need all of it, so half of it will become a rose bed with interspersed lilies, alliums etc - we’re starting with climbing roses at the back - Gertrude Jekyll for anyone interested 😉

To the food, I’ll make a caramelised onion and goats cheese tart with thyme and honey, not nuts as I cannot be bothered with the shopping part…. Potato salad and green salad, might make some bread to have for lunch.   For some odd reason I have a fancy for cheese and onion rolls, if I have enough cheddar I might make some - I’m carb craving 🫣

Edit: On checking fridge, found a pack of feta that needs using, so feta and spinach parcels instead 🙌

£300/£130
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I picked up lots of broccoli, whole milk, wholewheat pasta, and panko breadcrumbs (amongst other things) at the Community Fridge yesterday so am making a broccoli pasta cheese bake for tonight. There’ll be enough for two days’ meals which is a slight problem because Mister CJ says he’s gone off broccoli! I’ll zhuzh it up by adding some diced shallot and red chilli, so hopefully that’ll make it more acceptable 😂
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    @C_J we toss cut up Broccoli in a little olive oil and grated Parmesan and bake till crispy at the edges makes a nice change 😊 ps use nutritional yeast flakes when the vegan visits 👋

£300/£130
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family