We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can A Girl Ask A Man Out on a Date.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I meant the notion that a bloke pays for a woman is old-fashioned to me because as soon as I started working, I saw myself as equal to a man.

Maybe that was because I earned a good wage and worked for a company that paid women the same wage as men at the same grade and gave equal opportunity for promotion to both sexes.

I haven't had the same employment prospects but I have never felt unequal to men. I just think its rather nice of them to offer to pay. Its not about equality to me but about whether they are a generous person or not. I am generous in my own way too. If both people are willing to pay for the other then it is pleasant. I have bought men drinks plenty of times and paid for dinner too. I just think it is mean to quibble over who pays for what. Who cares really.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    I haven't had the same employment prospects but I have never felt unequal to men. I just think its rather nice of them to offer to pay. Its not about equality to me but about whether they are a generous person or not. I am generous in my own way too. If both people are willing to pay for the other then it is pleasant. I have bought men drinks plenty of times and paid for dinner too. I just think it is mean to quibble over who pays for what. Who cares really.
    Aren't you making yourself less equal to a man by allowing him to pay for you?

Your comments above are slanted towards a relationship that has history.

My points were from the perspective of a new relationship.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 15 February 2017 at 7:02PM
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    On this thread we have had the time machine conversation already.
    I was referring to the previous thread discussing who pays. Please don't resurrect that here!
  • Huwbert
    Huwbert Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be flattered if a lass asked me out on a date, that would break the ice brilliantly!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    I was referring to the previous thread discussing who pays. Please don't resurrect that here!
    My lips are :silenced: on the subject of who pays on a date from here on in. ;)
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »

I don't think that I did.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tesuhoha
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Aren't you making yourself less equal to a man by allowing him to pay for you?

Your comments above are slanted towards a relationship that has history.

My points were from the perspective of a new relationship.

My last answer to that I don't think so if you offer and a man insists. I would not get into an argument over it. I was talking about when I first went out with my husband. He would just say 'I'll get that.' and it seemed rather petty to always argue over it. It was easier to book the cinema and pay for that or cook dinner.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure