We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can A Girl Ask A Man Out on a Date.

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I can't see why asking on Valentine's Day would get more sympathetic responses.
    I think most people were just gob-smacked at the question rather than deliberately mocking.

Experts at Lovepanky? :rotfl:
    What an awful website.

I posted earlier before I read your later posts.
    This sounds so sad.

Your thread title says 'girl' - is she really a girl?

Is there anything you and Chloe's friend can do to try to build up her confidence?
    Make-over?

I hope he says 'yes'.
    She ought to have a plan for the date when she asks him e.g. cinema, coffee shop, pub, restaurant etc.

To answer your question she is young adult. She has had a massive makeover with new clothes recently.

Someone has just sent her a bunch of very expensive flowers (to her office) and she has no idea who they are from. Probably not the man in question.

I think it will just be a drink to add to the casualness of it.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Linked from that site -
    http://www.lovepanky.com/women/attracting-and-dating-men/can-a-girl-ask-a-guy-out

So depressing! I'd hate to see any teenagers in my family taking this rubbish on board. :(
    Depressing is right. Aside from part of the final paragraph, bascially nothing in that article is true.

I have had a female friend initiate a romantic relationship with me - I was so happy I thought my heart would burst with it. Did I run off and tell my friends? No, most of my friends are women anyway and doubtless able to form their own opinions of how attractive or not I am without me going on about "scoring". The article reads like it's been written by someone that's formed their opinions on relationships by watching too many US high school movies.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    To answer your question she is young adult. She has had a massive makeover with new clothes recently.

Someone has just sent her a bunch of very expensive flowers (to her office) and she has no idea who they are from. Probably not the man in question.

I think it will just be a drink to add to the casualness of it.
    Now that's how Valentine's Day is supposed to work! :T
  • jamiehelsinki
    Options
    It would be nice if more women did make the first move, it's usually the bloke who's got to do it.

She should go for it, if she knows the dating app, she could even message him on there.
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    uberalles wrote: »
    I had a woman ask me out for a drink today and did not even click that it was Valentine's day.

In reality does that mean that I have just been proposed to and am about to get married? Eeeekk!!

Why shouldn't women make the first move, I think it's great, it displays confidence which is very alluring.

Basically, I just wanted to know what men thought about it. Sounds like you all think its a good thing.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    I don't think she would ask her friend.

I would've thought that this was far more of an issue than a woman asking a man out. Is she sure that her friend isn't going to have a problem with Chloe asking out someone she's previously dated?
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Don't see why not ! she can only ask:)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    I would've thought that this was far more of an issue than a woman asking a man out. Is she sure that her friend isn't going to have a problem with Chloe asking out someone she's previously dated?
    I thought that this was the issue on first scanning of the thread, asking out a bloke her friend had dated (even though the friend wasn't keen on the bloke).
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »

We have just had this discussion. I say - if the friend doesn't want him then why should she object? They only had the one date and Chloe was with them for part of the time. The friend then dated someone else the following day who she liked better.

Chloe is going to have a chat with her friend tonight to see if she wants to see him again and she will back off if this is the case. If not, she is going to ask her if she is okay about her messaging him on the dating app.

• tesuhoha
    edited 14 February 2017 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I thought that this was the issue on first scanning of the thread, asking out a bloke her friend had dated (even though the friend wasn't keen on the bloke).

But why would she mind after one date and then deciding he wasn't her cup of tea. They didn't jump into bed together or anything like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure