Can A Girl Ask A Man Out on a Date.

Options
tesuhoha
tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
Long story short. Someone I know (not me) went for a drink with her female friend and they were joined by a man the friend met on a dating app. This girl, I will call her Chloe was really attracted to her friend's date but accepted that he was not for her.

However, it turns out that Chloe's friend is not wanting a serious relationship and doesn't intend to see this man again as she finds him boring. I suggested to Chloe that she ask her friend for his number and ask him out for a date. Chloe is not very confident about her ability to attract men and says it will be a bit desperate.

I've looked up advice on the internet and most of it says its a no no. Is this really the case?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]
The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, women can ask men out.

It does not result in plagues of locusts or the universe being swallowed up by black holes. It either results in a date, or a rejection.
  • davetrousers
    Options
    No, it's 1957 after all.

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    This can't be for real?!

But to answer your question - yes, a woman can ask a man out. She can also ask a woman out, change a tyre, run a company, run a country, vote, etc.

Not sure where you've been for the last few centuries.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    of course its ok, im a man, and ive never ever asked a woman out in my life, and ive done pretty well on the dating front over the years.

why let an opportunity in life slip away because its not seen as "the done thing" tell your friend to go for it.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    God yes!!....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Only is she is a complete harlot. :)
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Of course a woman can do the asking. Don't understand the thinking that they can't, if I'm honest.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • emmatthews
    Options
    It's 2017, pretty sure it's okay.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yes it is for real and I am the one saying she should ask. Its her who is doubtful. This is someone who has had a lot of rejection from men over the past few years and she has never asked anyone out before so you might mock but its not that easy for her.

This is also someone who she has only met once but was very attracted to.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Yes it is for real and I am the one saying she should ask. Its her who is doubtful. This is someone who has had a lot of rejection from men over the past few years and she has never asked anyone out before so you might mock but its not that easy for her.

There's a big difference between "I'd like to ask someone out but I'm a bit shy / had a few confidence knocks" and "I'd like to ask someone out but I'm not sure my gender is allowed to so I'll check the internet first".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure