We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can A Girl Ask A Man Out on a Date.

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Have we? Don't remember you in that thread.

On this thread we have had the time machine conversation already.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tesuhoha
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Hang on... Friend and Bloke are supposed to be meeting for the afternoon only because Friend and Chloe are meeting for the evening. Bloke comes for one drink before the evening but then Chloe abandons the evening? Yet Friend and Bloke got no further?

OK. Chloe definitely should ask Friend first - in case the response is "he turned out to be a complete nutter/ sex pest/ whatever". If the response is "go for it - it just didn't work for me" then Good Luck Chloe...

She saw the friend last night. Before she could say anything the friend suggested that aforementioned guy and Chloe were better suited as they got on so well and they should meet up. Friend said she is going to find a way to word a message to see if he would like to do that.

He is just not her type and she is not looking for a serious relationship, nothing sinister.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tesuhoha
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    The problem with the ones who love the chase is that they get bored when the chase is over and they start looking for the next exciting prospect.

They like a challenge.

• martinnathalie9
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    This can't be for real?!

But to answer your question - yes, a woman can ask a man out. She can also ask a woman out, change a tyre, run a company, run a country, vote, etc.

Not sure where you've been for the last few centuries.

Amen!! I could not agree more. Why should we have to wait for good things to come to as rather than taking the opportunity ourselves!
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Really? For both of them? Always?

I think what the PP was referring to is there's this notion certain posters have that the "asker" should always pay for the date. They don't say the "man" because of course that would be sexist and they don't want to appear as sexist, oh no, especially when they rant on about sexism in other contexts. That would make them a hypocrite. So they pretend it's about who does the asking not about gender.

Sorry a bit OT from your point. This thread is surprisingly unanimous in opinions for a change.

ETA: spoke too soon!

What I meant was she always offers to pay half. A lot of men don't expect to pay for the whole date, even if they do the asking. Also, would a man's pride allow a woman to pay for him. I am not talking 1957 here but a lot of men also do like to pay for a woman.

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    From my experience, the more a bloke chases a woman the less likely he is to succeed. It might work in the movies but is rarely successful in real life.

Indeed, the woman will do the chasing for you. Albeit in subtle ways which are telling you "let's meet up" without actually doing the asking.
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    From my experience, the more a bloke chases a woman the less likely he is to succeed. It might work in the movies but is rarely successful in real life.

Indeed, the woman will do the chasing for you. Albeit in subtle ways which are telling you "let's meet up" without actually doing the asking.

That is probably because if a woman likes a man then he won't need to chase her too much and will give signs of encouragement. If a woman does not like the man then no amount of chasing will make a difference, in my experience anyway. Sometimes rarely, someone will grow on you.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    What I meant was she always offers to pay half. A lot of men don't expect to pay for the whole date, even if they do the asking. Also, would a man's pride allow a woman to pay for him. I am not talking 1957 here but a lot of men also do like to pay for a woman.
    Personally, I find this statement very old-fashioned based on my own experiences.

When I started work aged 17, it was a reasonably paid job.
    A lot of the lads I went out with were apprentices and weren't paid very well, with the exception of the guys who worked down the mines who had loads of money.

I always paid my way, bought drinks in rounds and offered to pay half for a meal out. I was taken up on it often too.

I'm talking early 1970s here.
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Personally, I find this statement very old-fashioned based on my own experiences.

When I started work aged 17, it was a reasonably paid job.
    A lot of the lads I went out with were apprentices and weren't paid very well, with the exception of the guys who worked down the mines who had loads of money.

I always paid my way, bought drinks in rounds and offered to pay half for a meal out. I was taken up on it often too.

I'm talking early 1970s here.

Well when I was young I was willing to pay too but when I met my husband he always wanted to pay. Of course I have contributed to everything we own but initially he wanted to pay and I think that is often the case. Its not me being old fashioned. Its what I have observed.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Well when I was young I was willing to pay too but when I met my husband he always wanted to pay. Of course I have contributed to everything we own but initially he wanted to pay and I think that is often the case. Its not me being old fashioned. Its what I have observed.
    I meant the notion that a bloke pays for a woman is old-fashioned to me because as soon as I started working, I saw myself as equal to a man.

Maybe that was because I earned a good wage and worked for a company that paid women the same wage as men at the same grade and gave equal opportunity for promotion to both sexes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport