Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Irenadler
    Options
    That's fantastic Skinty, you are almost there with your bedroom, it sounds beautiful... :) I have found a low odour paint in the past, but, from what I remember it's not the cheapest one, worth it though, to avoid fumes.
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Thankfully it was only 2 skirtings painted so should soon wear off. Had a letter through the door from the neighbour who politely declined (have lived here over 20 years & our kids grew up playing together & he’s a carpenter) & so I will have to ask someone else to chop the bottom off the door 😕 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Today sounds exciting and busy.

Sorry to hear the neighbour declined. One possibility is a saw although the old way was using a plane, both are cheaper.
    It will take a little bit of time, requires a steady hand and a lot of checking to make sure you're on track still. Remember, power tools are a 'new' thing and people worked without them for years.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2020 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Lovely day in town. Had lunch in the Chinese tea bar £6.10. Got lovely new slippers & the last bottle of nik wax. 

Have put the bedroom door over the arms of the dog arm chair. If I stand beside the door edge I can hold it still with my legs pushing it into the chair. I’ve chopped half of the bottom off with a hand saw. It’s straight following the line so far. My hands neck & shoulders are burning but if I do a bit at a time I should finish by tomorrow night & get the bottom sanded & get it hung back up before the dog gets back! 😁 Who needs men & power tools 😆
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well done you! Definitely feels good to be independent and find alternative ways of doing things 🤗
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I am regretting being an independent (too proud to keep asking for help) woman today! Can hardly move. 😕 codeine is my friend 😆 Am hoping a warm shower & gentle stretches will help as I am off for my flu jab at 9am. Will get my heated neck pad out later if needed. 

Door is chopped. Just needs sanding but looks ok. DS got in from work at 5am so I will have to be quiet till later. Then he will help me hang the door. I’m off to the tip at lunch time and am glad my friend is coming to help! 

Apart from that I will be resting. This week has flown past as usual when I am off work. Back to normal tomorrow, dog will be back late tonight & I will walk her in the morning before working from home. 

Right, time to get up & get moving ...

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Had my flu jab which was fine. Was offered tetanus which I declined as I had to have one the end of August after stubbed my toe on a rusty screw. Also had MMR which they are routinely giving although I’m sure I had them as a child but probably separate injections back then in the 60’s / 70’s. That one was agony! The nurse said they have to give it cold straight from the fridge so it’s more painful! My arm was shaking afterwards, not sure if it was the muscle protesting when it was already tight & sore from sawing. If I’d known it was going to be that bad I would have had it in my other arm! 

So I’ve been sat here feeling sorry for myself. Had mashed sardines in tomato sauce on toast for breakfast. Have taken braised pork steak in onion gravy out of the freezer to defrost for dinner later. Was going to weigh myself this morning but when I tried the battery was flat 😆 so I must remember to find the spare & replace it. 

Have just been totting up this weeks spends 
    Carpet & gripper   £104
    carpet fitters           £40
    Silk flowers             £3.79
    Throw for bed.       £6.99
    Paintbrushes/roller £5.99
    mcd                        £4.97
    slippers.        £6.99
    nik wax.         £8.99
    lunch out.      £6.10
    ice cream       £1.95
    pepsi max.     £1 
    b&m photo frame £3
    Screwfix fuses £5.49
    screwfix light bulbs £7.19

Blimey! It looks a lot but should be covered by my budget / savings. Food/drink is covered by entertainment fund. Everything else will be covered by annual bills/household fund. I have spent £10 on petrol but I budgeted £40. 

Next holiday is 2 weeks off at Christmas & I am not planning any painting / household jobs! 😁

Living off savings diary
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Nothing like a good workout to force you to rest!
    I'm really proud of you doing it. Sometimes you just have to get stuck in and worry about the pain afterwards. 

I've heard MMR and tetanus jabs are being given to us mature ones. You've really sold it me 😶 

Your spends are good as a lot are tangible items and you've things to show for it. I bet your bedroom looks wonderful and dreamy 🤗

Enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ouch to the sawing, Skinty! Thank goodness it's done, though, and you can enjoy the efforts of your labours. Maybe console yourself that you've saved on labour costs? We never know what we can do until we try... :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am so impressed at your decorating. The pic looks amazing. I am sure your home is too. The money you spent was really worth it. You deserved the meal out. All those jabs sound painful after decorating. Glad you are protected though. Wishing you a good week. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure