Escape to the country & living off savings

Options
Copied over from my old diary

Hello again from Yorkshire 😁 The move from the south coast went well but it has been hectic since I got here. Spending has been budgeted for 

van hire £250
diesel £90
train fare for DS to get home £30
new boiler £3600
living room light £32
kettle & toaster £40
New bath towels (sale) £6
Living room paint 2 for £22
white paint ceilings & skirtings & sandpaper/ brushes £53.93
Misc tool station & bnq 116.65 includes new loo seat
emergency eye exam £30 (gel detachment) - all ok 

Roofer is booked to come mid March £2750 including scaffolding. I’m just pricing up & choosing a new bathroom & wallpaper for the bedroom. 

I got refunds from council tax, car insurance and breakdown cover after changing my address. I also told the car insurance I have retired as I am not working or claiming benefits and I am living off my savings until my pension starts. I may look for a little part time job when things settle down after 6 months or so. I am not going to have another pet as I don’t want the tie. I do miss puppy dog though 🐶 

Im not sure what to do about this diary as I’m not going to be saving any more. I will always try to save on items bought using deals and vouchers. The majority of my remaining equity is now invested in 1 and 2 year bonds. I’m not sure how much I will be paid for February as I had to pay back some annual leave. New household bills are coming in for the new house. I have just paid car tax which was budgeted for. I have kept £10000 for next 12 months living expenses & £10000 for 12 months after and £12000 for house (boiler/repairs/ new bathroom) in an instant access account. 
0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2023 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Final wage £511.83. Remaining balance in current account £785.92 total £1297.75 so I shouldn’t need to draw down any savings for March. 

Bills to pay 
    council tax £150.40 (up to March then new bill will be over 10 months) 
    tv license £13.37
    Still waiting for the new water bill. 
    Credit card = £353.82 for car tax & van hire 

Gas & Electric £33.47 remaining credit £239.79
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds as though everything is falling into place beautifully.  So happy for you.   XXXX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Happy new diary!

Perhaps pay the TVL in full, so it's not a niggling little bill each month. 

How's it feel to be MF and not having to pay that 😁

Hope you're slotting in rest and not just doing your new home up. Can't wait for the next update, it's so exciting 🍷
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2023 at 4:39AM
    Options
    Thanks Chrystal & MF 😊

Its great to be mortgage free. I am very lucky. DS & his gf completed on my house back in October and I stayed with them until my purchase completed. It meant I could save the mortgage money and I just continued to pay them a third of the utility/ council tax bills, the same as they did when I owned the house. 
    This week we have stripped 4 layers of wallpaper off my bedroom & sanded and painted the skirtings. Next week will be putting up new wallpaper & cleaning the carpets with the machine borrowed from my niece. I just had to buy the carpet shampoo £10. 

The additional savings have been spent this week (as planned)

new divan bed & mattress £240
    new headboard £79
    new tv £199 reduced from £229
    new oak tv stand £188.30 reduced from £269
    Freeview recorder £120

My school friend is taking me to done elm so I can get curtains for my bedroom and the living room. 

Virgin media has been cancelled saving £62 a month. I will watch / record things on the freeview box which allows you to rewind/ pause & record 2 programmes at once up to 300 hours. 

My P45 has appeared online on my tax account so I have applied for a tax refund for the rest of this years tax allowance up to April. 

Once my bedroom is finished I will move in. I have still been sleeping at DF’s. Everything still feels a bit unreal as if I am here on holiday and I will be going back soon. I think once I move in it will feel real. 

Living off savings diary
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    You're making headway and turning it into your home.  Tell us about colours, patterns and things so we can visualise everything.

The holiday feeling will last quite a while yet as there's no alarm in the mornings, traipsing off and sitting at a desk, heck you even pay yourself. It's a wonderful position you've achieved 🍾
  • MoneyWorry
    MoneyWorry Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You’ve a while yet. I still feel a bit as though I’m on holiday and it’s been 3 months. 
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds as though you've been busy, and got yourself some bargains. Remember you've now got all the time in the world (retired!) :mrgreen: so don't feel the need to rush things. 
    Your Dad sounds like a real gem bless him  :)
    The weather hasn't been nice near me either.  I'm hoping it's now gone on it's way and doesn't come back till next year! XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Do you know anyone with a sewing machine who could shorten the curtains?

Sounds like you'll have proper seasons in your new location. For now set your heating to come on an hour before getting up as it's all about figuring out how long it needs to be on, how many times a day and you'll have a better idea for next winter; don't forget you've been spoilt in the south and will adjust. Perhaps look at your wardrobe and add a few items to account for the northern temperatures.

Spends are fantastic and you're coming across as a lot happier, although very busy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback