New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Get a grip !

edited 25 November 2018 at 7:52AM in How much have you saved?
2.5K replies 179K views

Replies

• Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have made a stew in my slow cooker. Felt ill around lunch time so had to finish work. Blinding headache & earache & sinus pain. Had some pills & a lie down & fell asleep until 4pm! Still feeling rough. Had some stew & an early night is on the cards. 

Opened a new savings account and set up standing order for £50 from 1 October. The 3% is up to £1000 couldn’t quite work out if I withdraw funds once at £1000 do you still get 3% on the next £50 a month up to the next £1000. 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you feel better soon.
    My understanding is you can add / withdrawn whenever you like, you just need to keep it at no more than £1k and no more than £50 in a month.
    It's not like the £10k account where the balance has to be higher than the month before; assuming we are talking about the same bank 😉
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a head cold / ear ache & nose & right eye leaking. Have just been out with dog & had on my jumper, winter waterproof thermal fur lined regatta jacket, scarf & gloves 🥶 but the sun is shining ☀️ 

Not much planned for the weekend. DS & gf are going away with the dog for a few days so I will have some rest from dog walking. Hopefully I will feel better by Sunday & I will paint the bottom half of kitchen wall below the dado rail in the zingy lime to match the dining area. It’s only a small bit to paint so I won’t be overdoing it & I need the dog to be out. I also need to paint 2 radiators but would have to go out & get radiator paint & more brushes & I don’t feel up to it. Will leave that for another time. 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    523 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry to read you are feeling so rough, Skinty, I hope you manage to get some rest. Hate that head-cold feeling. A nice hot toddy and a snuggle up in a cosy throw sound like they should be on your schedule tonight...

Hope you feel well enough to finish the kitchen wall. You've got so much done already, and think of the fun you will have shopping around for the best value paint for the rads!  :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £50!
    Stash cash= £12.60
    Savings: £0
    Prolific Academic = £13.25
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you feel better soon, wrap up, keep drinking warm liquids. Do you have any honey and lemon juice you can sip?

As you've a while before doing the radiators, maybe a cheeky look online to see if you can have what you need delivered and save money.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 26 September at 6:55PM
    savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 September at 6:55PM
    Hello my lovely, oh no about your cold bug. I hope it goes fast. drink warm drinks and rest I cannot believe you were painting earlier. I hope it is done. If it's any consolation I'm not seeing my parents either as we are back at work and  I dont want to spread any risk to them at all and hope to see them in the Spring when i am hoping this mess will all be over. I hope you are ok being in the house with doggie for company. It is definitely colder i can feel it. I hope it is warmer by you and the cold goes v quickly.
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • edited 27 September at 6:47AM
    Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 September at 6:47AM
    Have just had a cup of tea & a couple of paracetamol and now back in bed as the dog has gone on holiday no walk today 😁

plans for later - 
    -clean cutlery drawer
    -Run some vinegar through the empty dishwasher on a hot wash to clean it- not tried this before  
    -paint kitchen wall
    -check online banking 
    -check meals in freezer 
    -all food from stores till payday
    -order some consumer fuses- blew a fuse in the fuse box the other night & used my last spare fuse, so I need to get another spare 5a & a 30a, not much cheaper online so may click & collect & pick up from local screw fix. Will pay from household bills account 
    -pour boiling water on weeds in patio & front forecourt 
    -wash towels & bedding 

I didn’t do anything yesterday apart from walk the dog. Started watching a series on sky catch up Manifest so may watch a few more episodes this afternoon/ evening 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    523 posts
    ✭✭
    You are still doing a lot, so, don't over-do it else you will be back in bed nursing that cold again.... :o

If its any help, I sometimes pour cheap salt on patio weeds, which is as effective as weed killer, but, doesn't harm anything... Its just making the soil not habitable for the plant! And helps with icy conditions too....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £50!
    Stash cash= £12.60
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ren. I use salt & boiling water on weeds the dog can’t get at as she licks the floor & eats dandelions. Don’t want her licking up salt. 😳

The patio is the width of the house & enclosed by a picket fence and gate so she doesn’t pee on the grass! We have a drain in the corner where the kitchen / washing machine/ dishwasher water goes so I regularly wash down the patio. I just use boiling water on any weeds (usually dandelions) that come up between the patio slabs  
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    523 posts
    ✭✭
    Ah, I tend to use it on the drive mostly, where the dog can't get at it... Good tip though, I could use it in boiled water on the back patio! And when I had a lawn, used the bucket of water trick to try and stop the little brown pee stains from the dog, don't think that worked!
    Emergency fund = £50!
    Stash cash= £12.60