New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Get a grip !

edited 25 November 2018 at 8:52AM in How much have you saved?
2.5K replies 178.8K views

Replies

• Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have fed the dog and she has gone back to bed with DS’s gf. DS has just gone to work. I woke up at 3.30am and now have a cup of tea and am back in bed hoping to get a bit more sleep. Thank goodness it’s the weekend! 

Will walk the dog later. We have some rain forecast for this afternoon. DS’s gf has offered to help me get some stuff out of the spare room & into the loft. Once the stuff is gone I can empty my bedroom into the spare room ready to decorate my room when I have a week off in October. I will also start looking at a new bedroom carpet then & get the boiler man in to service the boiler which is in my bedroom. I have been saving birthday & christmas money gifted to me and have £500 to do my room. 

I also want a new bed & was thinking of going down to a queen size with storage drawers underneath. I usually buy silent night in the argos sale around christmas time as they have some good deals & their mattresses are great for my back. I will start to look on their website for deals. 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    496 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sounds like hard work, but, it must be exciting as well to have a lovely revamp. Have you any colours in mind? Or, any themes? Like French boudoir, shabby chic, minimalist Swedish? OR something really different? Do love to hear about decorating, dunno why, I don't get out much! Lol... :D

I changed from a King to a Double years back, as I found larger/different sizes worked out more expensive than a regular size, for bedding replacement and laundry, and sheer wrestling the darned fitted sheet on and off, if that's any help? Also, probably over-thinking, but I was also thinking about future struggles with a king size duvet as that was easier with two.... :/
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £zilch!
    Stash cash= £12.36
    Savings: £0
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    All this talk of food is making me hungry!
    New bed sounds good. Having a function to it makes a huge difference to your room.
    I accidentally purchased a double instead of king when I kitted the rental out 🙈 it is a nice bed though and probably a good job it was the double due to the size of our bedroom.
    Have you decided on a colour scheme for your bedroom? 
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it’s not called a queen size. I think it’s a “small double” I was thinking of, but they are only 6 inch narrower and I would have to buy new sheets so I will stick to a double. 

The room is half decorated. I papered the chimney breast with antique cream french calligraphy wallpaper & painted the cast iron fireplace in antique cream. The alcoves either side are chocolate brown. The other walls are antique cream. The skirtings are still blue. 😆 The boiler cupboard needs another coat of antique cream. 

My bedding is cream with a lovely “quilted” section across the top in light creamy brown satin type fabric. I have a creamy brown throw & curtains all bought in the sale at B&M. The carpet is green 😆

It was originally my sons bedroom but when DS’s gf moved in I let them have my room which is big enough to get in 2 wardrobes & 2 chests of drawers. The room I am in now is not much smaller but without the bay window & has the boiler cupboard in. Big enough for me with 1 wardrobe and 1 chest of drawers & tallboy and I love the little cast iron fireplace. There isn’t one in the larger room. 

I got my pine bedside table for free on gumtree. Someone had it in their shed & had painted it pink! I sanded it down & painted it antique cream, apart from the top which they hadn’t painted and so I left it stripped pine. I got my pine tallboy fairly local on eBay £30. My wardrobe & chest of drawers are pine. I bought a pine “top box” which is like a little cupboard with doors but no base & sits on top of the wardrobe, which has all the spare bedding in and my winter quilt. 

I do need more storage for shoes / handbags / jeans & summer cut off trousers, hence the reason for getting drawers in any new bed I buy. My mattress is still ok so I may just buy a new divan base as my old base was only a cheap occasional use one £99 from sainsbobs & has now started creaking after several years of everyday use. I turned it round over a year ago but now the other side is creaking too so it’s time to go! It depends on price. Argos usually do some half price deals in their sale around Christmas time so it may work out cheaper to get a new bed & mattress. 

So it’s just a case of empty the room, pull up the old carpet & check if I need new underlay, paint all the wood / skirting & get new carpet fitted. 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's going to be lovely when finished Skinty.
    Don't rule out 1k3a for beds as they have some with built-in storage too. BHF have new beds / mattress and they deliver.

Have you got many other rooms to do after?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never thought about ikea I will have a look 😊

I still have to finish the kitchen / diner. I am going to repaint the top above the dado rail a lighter colour so the mismatch is not so obvious. I never thought about the same tin of paint looking 2 different shades on the same wall above / below the dado rail! Also need to do the hall, stairs & landing. I couldn’t afford to repaper so I painted the paper. It looked good but must be about 5 years ago so it’s scuffed & ready for doing again. The living room is ok I did that about 4 years ago & used up the leftover paint in my bedroom (chocolate brown / cream). 😆
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • edited 19 September at 5:26PM
    Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 September at 5:26PM
    Have put my hoover back together after cleaning all the filters and brush roll etc last week and still no suction 🙁

Spent 2 hours with DS’s gf help unblocking the hose of dog hair. Fully working again so I hoovered the dog carpet 😃 halfway through the hoover cut out 😕 The hose is blocked with dog hair again 🙁 

I’ve unplugged it & will look at it again tomorrow. Hoping if I can unblock the clogged hair in the bend of the handle & clean it the hoover will come on again 

We put 2 shelf units, 2 bags & 2 boxes into the loft. Still lots to do but too tired now. At least we can get into the spare room now to sort the rest! 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woke up at 5.15 & fed the dog. Have not managed to get back to sleep. Plans for today 

- walk the dog. DS & gf still do the evening walks. 

- Scrub the patio with disinfectant 

- wash the patio doors inside & out 

- take the hoover handle apart (Following instructions from DF on phone last night - he was an electrician) to remove clogged dog hair & clean. Hoping once clean & dry & have polished the bend in the handle the dog hair will not get stuck. I’ve had this shark for 3 years and it has never got stuck before. Hopefully it will then turn back on, the Instruction manual says it has an automatic cut out if it detects a clog. If not I have instructions from DF to change the fuse & hopefully that will do it! 

Food plans today 
    B- bacon, scrambled egg & mushrooms
    L - curry noodles 
    D - Home made shepherds pie 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    496 posts
    ✭✭
    Maybe it’s not called a queen size. I think it’s a “small double” I was thinking of, but they are only 6 inch narrower and I would have to buy new sheets so I will stick to a double. 

The room is half decorated. I papered the chimney breast with antique cream french calligraphy wallpaper & painted the cast iron fireplace in antique cream. The alcoves either side are chocolate brown. The other walls are antique cream. The skirtings are still blue. 😆 The boiler cupboard needs another coat of antique cream. 

My bedding is cream with a lovely “quilted” section across the top in light creamy brown satin type fabric. I have a creamy brown throw & curtains all bought in the sale at B&M. The carpet is green 😆

It was originally my sons bedroom but when DS’s gf moved in I let them have my room which is big enough to get in 2 wardrobes & 2 chests of drawers. The room I am in now is not much smaller but without the bay window & has the boiler cupboard in. Big enough for me with 1 wardrobe and 1 chest of drawers & tallboy and I love the little cast iron fireplace. There isn’t one in the larger room. 

I got my pine bedside table for free on gumtree. Someone had it in their shed & had painted it pink! I sanded it down & painted it antique cream, apart from the top which they hadn’t painted and so I left it stripped pine. I got my pine tallboy fairly local on eBay £30. My wardrobe & chest of drawers are pine. I bought a pine “top box” which is like a little cupboard with doors but no base & sits on top of the wardrobe, which has all the spare bedding in and my winter quilt. 

I do need more storage for shoes / handbags / jeans & summer cut off trousers, hence the reason for getting drawers in any new bed I buy. My mattress is still ok so I may just buy a new divan base as my old base was only a cheap occasional use one £99 from sainsbobs & has now started creaking after several years of everyday use. I turned it round over a year ago but now the other side is creaking too so it’s time to go! It depends on price. Argos usually do some half price deals in their sale around Christmas time so it may work out cheaper to get a new bed & mattress. 

So it’s just a case of empty the room, pull up the old carpet & check if I need new underlay, paint all the wood / skirting & get new carpet fitted. 
    Your bedroom sounds gorgeous, such relaxing colours, and nearly there with the decorating! The soft cream colour must bounce around the light in there. My old bedroom furniture is pine too, and I have bought duck egg furniture paint for it all, although yet to get head in gear to start. Bed storage sounds like the ideal solution - my double is a divan, and I only use it to store bedding though...
    I like your description 'just' empty the room, etc.! It sounds like hard graft ahead but it will be so worth it. Good luck!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £zilch!
    Stash cash= £12.36
    496 posts
    ✭✭
    Have put my hoover back together after cleaning all the filters and brush roll etc last week and still no suction 🙁

Spent 2 hours with DS’s gf help unblocking the hose of dog hair. Fully working again so I hoovered the dog carpet 😃 halfway through the hoover cut out 😕 The hose is blocked with dog hair again 🙁 

I’ve unplugged it & will look at it again tomorrow. Hoping if I can unblock the clogged hair in the bend of the handle & clean it the hoover will come on again 

We put 2 shelf units, 2 bags & 2 boxes into the loft. Still lots to do but too tired now. At least we can get into the spare room now to sort the rest! 
    Oh no! Might be quicker to shave the dog! :D I know what you mean though, about the never-ending shedding, and hoovering. I have a relative who does have the 'pet' version of dyson, but gets on her hands and knees with sponge or damp rag and rubs the dog hair off all her carpets getting an incredible 'ball' of fluff off, then hoovers and still gets dog hairs up. And the dog she has is regularly groomed and clipped.... Just one of those things, having a pet, that you don't think about until you get your lovable fluff ball.  :o

I sometimes mutter to myself that there must be more hair in the carpet than actually on the dog, but, know damn well I would miss it when she's not around any more... I am seriously thinking of reducing the amount of carpet (because of the dog having allergies as much as anything), to help reduce the cleaning time, so it can be quickly mopped over instead....

And think of the cost of electricity I could save!
    Emergency fund = £zilch!
    Stash cash= £12.36