New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Get a grip !

edited 25 November 2018 at 8:52AM in How much have you saved?
2.5K replies 178.8K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pear and apple squash sounds good too.
    I'm getting loads of flying spiders at the moment 😬 the normal house spiders seem to have been bumped off by the cat. Do let me know if the conkers help.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have just found out that conkers and peppermint oil are highly TOXIC for dogs. 😱 She hasn’t shown any interest in conkers on the floor outside but if I will have to have a rethink in the house. 

0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bills money has finally come through from DS & his gf. Plus DS has paid me the rest of the vet money £80. I have moved money into savings & paid my credit card. 

Account balances 
    Long term savings £2103.60
    emergency fund £1000
    Carpet fund £500
    birthdays / Xmas £180
    car fund service/mot etc £550
    dog food fund £45
    annual bills £225

That leaves me £42.51 until payday. I’m going out for lunch on Monday so that should be under £10 leaving £32.51 for shopping next week. 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew plug in air fresheners cause problems for animals, wasn't aware conkers were poisonous. Maybe you could put them up high so PD can't get them?
    Savings look good 🤗
  • riotladyriotlady Forumite
    194 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks Riotlady. Still feeling a bit down today but trying to stay positive & not to think about it.

I don’t have a recipe for garlic cheese pasta it’s just something I made up a few years back. Fry bacon and/or sometimes chicken, onions, mushrooms, add cooked broccoli & 1/2 pack of garlic soft cheese spread  (philli or similar, I use the Aldi version). Warm through & add cooked pasta. Add a little drop of milk if you need to thin the sauce or a drop of the pasta water. You could use whatever veg you want/have, maybe peas or baby corn etc. 
    Sounds lovely! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best- my Granny has always made her "special" bacon pasta, which all of her grandchild request any time they stay with her. I found out a couple of years ago it's literally just chopped up fried bacon, onions, and tomato puree xD
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had an email from pay pal & sports direct last night confirming a full refund on the leaky shoes including the original postage 🤗 Only problem is I paid my credit card in full yesterday. I will probably buy my shopping on my credit card next week to use up the refund that will now be on the account. 

Riotlady, there is something about granny’s cooking that somehow makes even basic food taste lovely 😊 Must be the granny’s love mixed in 👵🏻☺️

MF this is the first morning we have had flying spiders or daddy long legs as we always called them when we were kids. They come in the autumn cool mornings and bask in the morning sun at the front of the house warming themselves on the UPVC windows & doors. I can cope with them outside but they terrify me when they fly at me or get in the house 😱
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    496 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Skinty! Fantastic to finally get the refund, I hope you treat yourself to something nice and indulgent. :D

Wish I could say my relative's cooking brought happy memories, sadly it mostly brought indigestion and revulsion - either it was heavily cremated so you could bang it on your plate, boiled almost beyond recognition or so under-cooked that it could give you the trots! :s You are lucky....

Ah, I had one of those daddy-long legs, but because I had indorexed the place, it landed gently on the carpet and keeled over, poor thing....quickly turfed out so the dog didn't scarf it down....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £zilch!
    Stash cash= £12.36
    Savings: £0
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least the refund is coming!

I call them flying spiders so people know which ones I mean. There's loads in the communal hall / stairwell at the moment.
    Then there's the big skinny ones which casually walk around. Had a normal house spider walking along the wall and I heard it fall on the floor the other day, partly expected to hear the tap tap on the floor as it walked around 😂

Childhood food? My favourite was a stewing steak and veg steam pudding.
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can’t really remember my granny’s cooking but I remember my grandad used to cook a big pan of corned beef hash, like a big pan of stew. I can’t remember the last time I had corned beef. We used to have it as kids I remember the key on the side to open the tin 😆

I made a batch of chilli and shepherds pie this afternoon. Half a pack of mince with mushrooms, onions, carrots, broccoli & peas in gravy topped with cheesy mash made from half normal potatoes & half sweet potatoes. Half a pack of mince with onions, courgettes, peppers, tinned sweetcorn, tin tomatoes, half tin baked beans, 1/3 tin kidney beans, chilli powder & a bit of sweet chilli sauce. 6 portions for the freezer. Leftover kidney beans 2 portions for the freezer. 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • riotladyriotlady Forumite
    194 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, I think that special granny magic makes all the difference! Mind you, my GREAT granny's cooking was horrendous. Never met a piece of meat she couldn't turn into leather xD 
    Flying spiders are the worst, hope you don't get too many this Autumn.