We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NST October Finding Your Inner ferret

Options

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2016 at 10:59AM
    Options
    Hello,

ok, I've had enough. I'll be having a super frugal November and will just not give in anymore. I need to pay this debt off and we need a new kitchen. Everytime Dh askes for money now and or wants to get sth special for the weekend (drinks, food) I'll put my foot down and will say "NO, I'm paying off debt and saving for a kitchen, fell free to join me".

He had the cheek to ask me if I will have money for christmas (for us and presents etc I guess). I just saved and paid for the front door (400), the Oct holiday (300) and the ferry to Germany for after christmas (400). Oh, he'll put fuel in the car and pay for the service (wow, really). He earns more than me but I guess only spends 60% max on family stuff, bills and then still has to borrow money from me. whereas 93% of my income goes on debt, saving, bills etc. Originally we did it that way so he's got money left to climb out of his overdraft but that is obviously not working. I think we need to have a chat again and I need to stop enabling him.

I'll also start setting targets for surveys etc. to hopefully get enough vouchers to cover most of christmas.

Sorry for the rambling rant.

Off to do some work and then some money spreadsheets and a meal plan/shopping list etc

SFD, healthy lunch, and gym today.
    DEBT 06/24: CC 6347 5120 £2350 £2000, OD £500, Other £3100 £2650 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thrifty Lass We have agree to have a super frugal November too for similar reasons to yourself. I also have a DH who does not have the same mentality as me towards saving and paying off debt and who has spent £500 of our money on himself this month and I have allowed him to do so. :o

I am off this week and DS is at DPIL today so I have spent all morning poring over YNAB seeing where I can cut back and will be doing a food stocktake and batch cooking this afternoon ready for my frugal fast next month.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • thriftylass
    edited 24 October 2016 at 4:39PM
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Thrifty Lass We have agree to have a super frugal November too for similar reasons to yourself. I also have a DH who does not have the same mentality as me towards saving and paying off debt and who has spent £500 of our money on himself this month and I have allowed him to do so. :o

I am off this week and DS is at DPIL today so I have spent all morning poring over YNAB seeing where I can cut back and will be doing a food stocktake and batch cooking this afternoon ready for my frugal fast next month.

Yes, sorry, actually meant write this as a response to your previous post about OH and him spending £500 :eek: etc.
    The not pulling his weight gets me too. Same here, both work full time and I do the majority. However, mine is getting better at that side of things.

Let's have a NOvember style challenge again like THE original one :eek: and batten down the hatches :D. I'll also be doing the no drinking and no smoking bit (well, stop the last two rollies a day).
    DEBT 06/24: CC 6347 5120 £2350 £2000, OD £500, Other £3100 £2650 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

I've lost track a bit over the last week or so as it's been so full-on at work. I think we're up to 8 NSDs and are still doing well with the healthy eating.

New bed arrived this morning and looks lovely now DH has put it together :T Now just need to sort out the rest of the room :eek:

x_raphael_xx what a fab pumpkin!

seasidegal58 fantastic news for your sister and her OH :)

Another one here with a DH who spends loads of money :mad:

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Week Four Mini Challenge

Next weekend the clocks go back. In the following week there will be more road traffic accidents than in any other week in the year. If you or your children walk or ride to school make sure that they are visible and that everything (lights, brakes) is in working order. If you are in a car, prepare for a breakdown - torch, extra coat, emergency glovebox phone. Think about what is appropriate in your circumstances, be aware of other road users, take care, make preparations and most of all be safe.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • mothernerd
    Options
    I will catch up with all your news later (new babies woohoo). Did not check in last night as laptop decided to be very poorly. Got more done yesterday, doesn't sound like much but worked myself to breathlessness several times.

Went to mini Arseda late on. I was expecting it to be difficult and it was. Not physically beyond me, wasn't pulling my arms out of my sockets, but had to sit on the church wall to rest and then split the load when I reached the top of the backs - put the bags down, took the rucksack as far as the bins then into the yard as I couldn't get it up the last four inches to leave it on top of the bin, stood by the bags for more minutes before carrying them back, then put the ice cream away and sat down for a while before continuing.

Broken my food budget and know I spent over the odds on some things (not going to fret as clearly getting to any other shop would be way beyond me) but so glad to have bananas, lots of sandwich supplies and things to help a sore throat (yoghurt, ice cream and pickles) + the multivitamins.

For yesterday I am grateful for getting some crafting done - 6 cards mounted on Saturday night, about a dozen more paired up last night (not yet completed as several are 'best fit' (not perfect) and will need careful trimming/ bigger apertures etc. Lovely easy food (looking forward to roast beef buns - bought the soft 50/50 ones rather than usual wholegrain seeded loaf) and for presevering with several difficult tasks (very slow and frustrating progress but must just keep slogging on and doing what I can). I think I can, I know I can (the little engine that could).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thrifty - I've already forewarned my family that there will be no unnecessary spending in November so I'm in with you.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • thriftylass
    Options
    Who's running November? Do we already have a vontunteer?
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    seasidegal yay for the adoption :)

mothernerd you are so motivational

Today was a SFD :) Nearly caved to a Maccy Ds as had £5 left over and payday tomorrow but quickly sent it to the debt to reduce the temptation. Did school work all day which was slow, arduous and depressing and I could feel my anxiety levels increasing even though I was on the sofa in my pjs (don't think I'm going to last many more years in this profession!) This evening something has upset my eye and the white has become swollen. Called my doctors and the usually defensive receptionists refused to give me an appointment. Called 111 and they suggested A&E which seemed extreme, so I've googled and self diagnosed and will visit the doctors tomorrow if it gets worse.

Anyway night all
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Fmess and ccl it's so disappointing when the tests are all clear. I know I felt much better after losing 3 stone (very strict diet self-imposed after my diabetes diagnosis) and through not being strict enough I have now put 2 stone back. My own triumvirate of woe is depression, far too much weight and being poor (although no longer in debt). Hard to work on without making at least one of them worse. Though not impossible, just have to try, try and try again.

nannyg the Christmas cushions sound great. I want a Snowman and the Snowdog one. I tracked down the pattern (saw it advertised in the back of another magazine and I had to travel 8 miles and nearly take apart the display rack to find the shop's only copy). It keeps being put off because it's 'only for me' (and possible future grandchildren).

misstara yay for extra pennies.

EE love the poorly smilie.

Hugs and sympathy for all those with 'not on board' OHs.

x_raphael_xx lovely pumpkin.

Seasidegal wonderful news.

Fmess enjoy your longer walks.

I'm up for the frugal November. There are still some things to be used up in the freezer. The only exception is that I want to buy a proper quilt for DS3's bed when his beloved moves in + a cover if they find one they both like (DS3 just says 'purple' and not many around). This would be their main Christmas present and the only large/ expensive present I will be buying - DS3 did ask last week how long he would be getting real presents from me as in, when does he get demoted to a pair of socks.

Read through Kat's original challenge. It could easily be adapted. There isn't an exercise target in it (I need to up my excercise and lose the lbs). I would have trouble knocking £20 off my food bill as I am working my way down to spending £50 per month by December (failing atm) but I could work with Kat's £80 (luxury) and 25 NSDs is extremely tough but tough is what I need right now.

Feeling better today. I stood up to clear a whole load of washing up and spent about 1/4 of an hour tackling rubbish and weeds (entangled together) in the backs - could only do 5 minutes yesterday. Used a chair to sit on/ hold on to.

Today I am grateful for laughing a lot (mainly at my own feebleness), for my lovely wrap around cardigan and for water (don't know what I would do without it - well I'd die, wouldn't I. stop being silly mothernerd).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family