NST: Sailing into September

Options

Comments

• Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dizzy so I take it going back hasn't miraculously become easier this year?

Spendy day today as needed to buy a few more book boxes for my classroom and bought some chocolate to console myself. Worked about 7 hours today so tomorrow shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system! Also got my gran's funeral in the afternoon so will be a busy and sad day.

Night all
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • The_Only_Girl
    Options
    Welcome back TOG. If your son needs any tips/info about Dundee (it's where I live), PM me.

Hi thrifty many thanks for the offer, we just came back from Dundee sans DS1. We were smitten by your city and having met some fantastic people, we are confident leaving him there. He seems to be coping really well. I just hope I could contain my nerves and hope things are as positive as they look.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • The_Only_Girl
    The_Only_Girl Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 September 2016 at 10:51PM
    Options
    Hello fellow turtles.

1. Spends
    Finally after a long wait and quite unexpectedly, I managed to bag NSD1. We were in Dundee the whole weekend so having NSD's when you're not in your home is quite difficult and it was also quite hectic getting DS1 settled in his new environment, it was a delightful trip. We even had a wombled free lunch for the whole family. We attended church there to introduce my son to the congregation and they have been so welcoming, they invited us for lunch yesterday. We had to buy dinner last night though but we managed to do it quite cheaply so not the end of the world.

Speaking of wombles, DS1 managed to bag a few bits and pieces for his flat for free. The chaplaincy dept in the university gave away stuff (household etc) left by former students to be reused by incoming new students. The freshmen were allowed to take 6 big items and a few small items. DS1 got a laundry hamper, a Teflon frying pan, a Teflon pot, a colander, clothes airer, Pyrex baking dish, mugs, glasses, cutleries, grater, knives. All for free.

2. Eating
    This morning, before we checked out of the hotel, we made sure we had a super full breakfast (included in our booking) so we didn't have to have lunch. We had a few snacks in the car and that has kept the peckishness at bay during the trip back home. DS2 wanted us to stop over for some burgers on the way but hubby and I were so keen to get home early and when we did I rustled up a vegetarian pasta of some sort, using up stores (mushrooms, leeks, red pepper, all ys bought last week all for 9p and the only pasta sauce in the cupboard which is dolm** lasagne sauce.). It was weird but very tasty, DS2 had 3 platefuls (either it's really yummy or it's just teenage appetite or having not eaten all day).

3. Presents. None today. In the long term, I am planning to put my love of sewing to good use by making/sewing most of my presents for Christmas. It will be a very narrowed down list - only the nearest and dearest.

4. Time I am a lucky girl in that my hubby always makes sure I have a me time. After dinner he ran a hot bath for me so I could soak my worries away. He even instructed ds2 never to disturb me.

5. Empty. Last week I started on de-cluttering our bedroom drawers. I have managed to get rid of a lot of stuff (I was very ruthless - anything I haven't used for the last 6 months and won't be using again for the unforeseeable future had been chucked away.). Good news I found a £10 note amongst the mess. Lucky find! I still have a few paper bits to go through, then I'll move on to the wardrobe to sort unworn, outgrown or unwanted clothes and could be sold or donated, and then the mightiest task of all, getting DS1's room cleaned and converted to either my sewing room and DS2's room. A friend of ours asked if we could have her youngest daughter as our lodger but she wanted to move in two weeks ago when we were away on camping and DS1 was still here. I might ask her again in a couple of weeks to see if they are still interested as it will be big boost to the emergency fund.

I'll work on the rest of the rules as the week goes by. For now I am so knackered and I'm going to go have my beauty sleep. Back to work again tomorrow. I hope you all had a nice weekend. Goodnight
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • The_Only_Girl
    Options
    Hugs Fmess.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thinking of you today, fmess. Hope it is a peaceful time.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • dizzyblnd
    Options
    Fmess wrote: »
    dizzy so I take it going back hasn't miraculously become easier this year?

Nope, every September I wonder how the summer went by so quickly.
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Sorry, yesterday ran away with me. DH's head was really bad so he slept on and off all day while I ran around like a headless chicken!!

Ramblehan – Never too late to join. Welcome!! Hope DD is still on the mend

Ljaneyr – Me time does not mean housework!!!

Toni’sfriend – great find on the gift card. I thought I did well when I found a Waitrose one with £3 on!!!

Pepperoni – wow a day of Me time!! Hope you made the most of it!

Dolly84 – great idea for a weekly challenge for us I think!!

Crazy_cat_lady – glad to see you have had Me time before the madness of work starts. I am jealous that you were in your nightie at 4pm – I dream of the days I can do that. I am waiting for the nights to get dark at 4pm and then at weekends I can walk the dogs and lock the animals up at 4pm and be home ready for PJ’s!!

WelshKitty85 – Excellent work on those scooters!! It pays to be organised!

Mothernerd - £680 for a bed!?!?!? Mine cost about £150 from ebay. Too be fair though I bet it is a gorgeous one

Lauralozzle – glad you are a feeling a bit better. Make sure you rest.

Nannygladys – local fayres are the best aren’t they?

Swimminginaseaofdebt – you don’t have to do something towards the goals every day so please don’t feel bad. We can all achieve the goals by the end of the month, some will do it faster than others but as long as we get there it doesn’t matter how fast we did it.

Fmess – hope the funeral goes as well as funerals can.

The Only Girl – lovely to see the Uni reusing items instead of just chucking it away. I knew clearing out drawers and cupboards would throw up some money for people!!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Managed a NSD yesterday but did buy a Xmas present for my sister from those book people that go into work places/sheltered accommodation - this was during my visit to a relative. So up to 2 NSD's now. Am hoping most of this week will be NSD's but need to get DS' GF a present as it's her birthday this week.

Managed to read quite a bit of my book on Saturday night and a small amount last night.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Dolly84 has signed up to Zero Waste Week so I thought we could all join in too.

This is the link if you want to sign up, make a pledge and get daily emails - http://www.zerowasteweek.co.uk/

If you don't want to sign up then you can just make your pledge on here.

Feel free to post any of your own hints and tips for us all.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    HI everyone

4th September

Wasn't an NSD today. Used Tesco voucher to buy 4 tins of soup (already on special offer) so got all 4 fo £1.00 – these are used for son's packed lunch. Also bought some things in Iceland reduced by 50% which are now in the freezer for use later and some biscuits which were on special offer too. Got another item for food bank.

Dinner coming from freezer again.

Card shop was empty so bought a pack of nice but inexpensive cards. Added to what was left from last year now have enough for coming Christmas.

C and I had a long walk through the park and the nice part of town with all the big houses and beautiful gardens.

Few more pots done. Tomorrow should see that finished.

Didn't tidy anthing inside but it was Sunday after all.

Phoned my other brother and had very brief conversation with him. He never phones anyone or goes out much now but seems happy with that. I had a long catch up chat with my sister in law. Must make a point of doing this on a more regular basis.

Had a long shower and gave my aching feet some TLC – think the're protesting at all this walking. As usual had pot of tea and read a bit of book in bed.

Enjoy your day.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport