NST: Sailing into September

Welcome to September’s Ninja Saving Turtles challenge – it is the start of Autumn on 22nd September when we have the Autumn Equinox and on 29th September we have Michaelmas Day to celebrate the end of harvest.

Also on 29th September Horatio Nelson was born – Wikipedia says this about him ‘He was noted for his inspirational leadership, superb grasp of strategy, and unconventional tactics, all of which resulted in a number of decisive naval victories.’.
I believe that all us Turtles are Nelson, we are inspirational and we are taking the lead in our own households, we are very good at strategy – just look at our challenges each month and most of all we may be seen by others as unconventional but really we are making the most of what we have and planning for our futures with victories along the way.
Everyone needs to be more like Nelson!!!
Rules:

Spends – aim for at least 14 NSD’s.

Eating – menu plan for September. Can you start using up bits in the freezer ready to make room for Christmas food? Make sure you take lunch to work every day.

Presents – make your Christmas lists. Who needs a present and who will just have a card? Can you reduce any of the people you ‘have’ to get presents for? Could you make any presents - we have plenty of time to prepare things? Do you need sellotape/wrapping paper/bows etc? What are you doing/where are you going for Xmas this year? Can you start buying food ready – remember a lot of meat goes up in price from the end of November so get it early while you can. (This might be controversial but anything you buy from your Xmas list this month will not count towards a spend day unless you buy other stuff as well – I want everyone to be well underway for Xmas by the end of September)

Time – make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

Empty – pick a drawer or cupboard to empty and sort through. If it’s the junk drawer what can you do to stop it becoming a junk drawer? Keep on top of this drawer/cupboard all month so nothing that shouldn’t be there goes in.

Meet meet up with a friend/family member who you have not seen for ages but keep meaning to. Ring/email/text them now and arrange something for this month.

Bed– either start bedding down the garden for winter or you will start making the bedroom suitable for the cooler weather.
In the garden, start sorting out the pots – do they need a wash before being stored for winter? Does the garden furniture need any oil/paint before it gets put away for winter? Do any flowers/bushes need cutting back yet?
In the bedroom, do you need to put the winter duvet on? Do any duvets need washing? Can you have a clear out – clean under the bed, wash down the bedside tables?

Exercise – do as much exercise as possible, aim for every 2 days as a minimum. Can you make the most of these evenings before it gets dark at 5pm? For those like me who have dogs, can you walk them a different route or for longer?

Reading – the first public lending library opened on 6th September 1852. If you have not yet joined your local library could you join it? Everyone will read a book during this month and report back with comments – hopefully it will encourage others to try new books. Books can be either fiction or non-fiction.

• The challenge will run from 1st September 00:01 until 30th September 00:00.
  • Everyone is to budget their income for the month and remember to pay your debts first.
  • To celebrate Michaelmas Day I would like you all to donate to a food bank or to host a share meal with friends/family. I used to love the Harvest Festivals when I was a child; everyone would bring in a tin of food to be donated to the local food bank and the local vicar would do a lovely service all about harvest. Could this tie in with the Meet part of our challenge?
  • Were you a NST last year? 12 months ago applemuncher asked:
    12 months from now, you will be one year older.
    But will you be one year better?
    If you want to change where you are in your life, it is up to YOU and you alone.
    Where do you want to be in 12 months’ time?
    Plan for your future.
    So what did you want to happen in 12 months -has it happened?

Here is a link to Sept 2014 – find your post and report back:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5314988&highlight=nst+september
So who would like to join me for September?

Replies

• edited 14 September 2016 at 7:35PM
    Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2016 at 7:35PM
    Reserved for Turtles....

1. Eager_Elephant
    2. thriftylass
    3. Bobarella
    4. Pepperoni
    5. Fmess
    6. dolly84
    7. mothernerd
    8. apple muncher
    9. Lauralozzle
    10. clippy_girl
    11. Determined2Save
    12. smallholdingsister
    13. swimminginaseaofdebt
    14. misstara
    15. Florence J
    16. crazy_cat_lady
    17. Geldsparerin
    18. greent
    19. Buffythedebtslayer
    20. luckystarr
    21. juliejim
    22. FurryBeastOz
    23. Calling14
    24. SpekySquarehead
    25. Toni'sfriend
    26. Karmacat
    27. lego mum
    28. dizzyblnd
    29. XSpender
    30. nannygladys
    31. evkizzy
    32. The Only Girl
    33. WelshKitty85
    34. 364ab
    35. SpekySquarehead
  • thriftylassthriftylass Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thank you fro the new challenge. Third month I said now I'll stick around properly till the end of the month. Let's hope it's 3rd time lucky. Will print out the rules and comment on Thursday.
    DEBT 01/23: CC 4637 4318 Family 1380 0 , Extra money earnt £15, NSDs 3/20, sober 2/15
  • BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes please EE sign me up :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PepperoniPepperoni Forumite
    461 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi,

Could I join in this month too please :D

Thank you
    • [STRIKE]Credit Card: £2,989 / £2,989[/STRIKE]
    • Bank Loan: £12,000 / £14,000
  • FmessFmess Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Count me in please :) Love you challenge ideas :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread EE, I'm in.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Count me in please EE. Will try harder to keep up this month (setting myself SMART goals on a few things).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Loving the challenge - count me in please!
    NST Jan best #2; NSD ; Ex 1 MFWDate: very soonish. I hope...
  • LauralozzleLauralozzle Forumite
    719 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh, count me in!!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Count me in!

I'm obviously psychic as yesterday I gave my room a really good clean and got rid of everything under my bed.

This afternoon I chopped back my butterfly bush and text a friend to arrange meeting next weekend :)

I will def be working on my 'junk drawer'!

I am going to research some Christmas present ideas. Traditionally I've only bought for family but I now have a new group of friends who buy for each other and whilst they don't expect anything back it would be nice to give a homemade gift I think.

I'm planning on flavoured gin or vodka and some editable treats. Have any of you tried nigella's chocolate cookies (think they are Xmas ones, they have 100's &1000's on). I am planning on some of those :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Glitch hits Nectar bonzana

Did you miss out on bonus points?

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals