NST: Sailing into September

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Here is your post from September 14:

Thanks for finding this. So I've not quite achieved debt freedom but have a much more realistic approach to it. I have sensible repayment plan in place and save enough to avoid borrowing for things we need to do for instance in the house. One and a half years till i hit 40, and this is my ultimate target for debt freedom and a good financial cushion.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • dizzyblnd
    dizzyblnd Posts: 449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Eager what a fantastic first post. Well done for such an informative and motivational post. I'm totally in if u'll have me? Summer holidays have been amazing but now it's back to the daily grind. Aiming for 14 nsd's and I'll get my Christmas list started tomorrow.
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Please can I join again? I haven't made it to the end of a challenge but will keep on keeping on!

Spends – I will aim to stick to my budgets this month instead of NSDs. My food budget is always blown so will concentrate on this in particular.

Eating – evening meal menu plan has been done for September. I get a lunch allowance but will ensure DH takes lunch to work each day (he's a work in progress!)

Presents – list done. Mum decided to stop buying gifts for the grown ups last year but I still like to get her a little something. Mine, DH and DS budget has been cut. I have enough cards but will need kid’s paper and family cards.

Time – I never get time to pamper myself so will make sure I keep my toenails painted, nails neat and body moisturised.

Empty – I have 3 drawers in the new dresser we bought in June which are already full of stuff so will concentrate on these this month.

Meet – planning a meet up with family in a couple of weeks and will arrange to see brother and sister too. They are coming to me so will share a feast.

Bed– DS room needs getting ready for winter as has flimsy curtains and a laminate floor and is not cosy as its quite a big room. Will order carpet and blinds this month. This spend is budgeted for. DH also needs to tidy the garden.

Exercise – I’m running a half marathon this month and will also be having at least 2 PT sessions a week.

Reading – Just started reading a thriller DH picked up on holiday.

Were you a NST last year? So what did you want to happen in 12 months -has it happened?

I have just reviewed my 2016 goals on my MFW diary. My biggest goal was to move to our dream location which we achieved. We did not expect to be in our forever home though, we thought we would be in the house before that. I have more debt than I planned and have got back into running.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Hi EE, please include me this month, I'm on holiday for a week later on but will join in the other three weeks.

I need to work out a menu and food budget so will get back to you later on that one.

Hope to manage the 14nsd, the down time and a bit of exercise, and as I have a garden and allotment I seem to spend a lot of time in one or the other (love it)

Anyway I'll tune in tomorrow, or today now.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have already done all my budgets for September as my month runs from 26th-25th of each month.

S
    pends – I don't do NSD's, my main aim is just to keep within all budgets which I usually do.

Eating – I always menu plan and I work from home so lunch is no problem, DH takes his lunch to work.

Presents – I only really buy for my own children with token gifts for my mum, MIL and FIL. We are scaling back our kids gifts this year, DD has her birthday in December and DS his in January, they have been forewarned that they will be getting less stuff.

Time – no problem.

Empty –I did 5 very messy drawers in August and they are still tidy, may tackle DH's dumping ground - the garage - instead.

Meet will try.

Bed– This will be cutting back in the garden.

Exercise – As soon as the kids go back to school my exercise will increase.

Reading – I've been borrowing books from the library since I was very, very small and go every few weeks. I am currently reading The Husband by Dean Koontz.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • evkizzy
    evkizzy Posts: 128 Forumite
    Count me in!
    Some of this got started in August but I'm determined to do better!
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • The_Only_Girl
    The_Only_Girl Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 September 2016 at 8:44AM
    Hello all, I'm back after a long absence. I missed you all. During the time I was away from this forum, I felt like I was back to financial auto-piloting and I've lost my focus. DS1 will go to uni soon (soon and very soon - we will drop him off to Dundee tomorrow) and money will be very, very tight so I need the moral boost, support and encouragement this lovely group offers. So please add me in. There are at least 3 trips planned for this month including tomorrow's trip (I'll tell you more about the others later) so I'll try to squeeze in as many NSDs as possible. It also a bit hectic at the moment trying to organise my son's move to Dundee so I will go back to the first posts and catch up with everybody.

Off to work now with my first LTW of the month. Not NSD today as we have a family farewell meal booked tonight.

Have a nice day turtles!

Oh thanks for this great challenge, EE!
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • thriftylass
    Hello all, I'm back after a long absence. I missed you all. During the time I was away from this forum, I felt like I was back to financial auto-piloting and I've lost my focus. DS1 will go to uni soon (soon and very soon - we will drop him off to Dundee tomorrow) and money will be very, very tight so I need the moral boost, support and encouragement this lovely group offers. So please add me in. There are at least 3 trips planned for this month including tomorrow's trip (I'll tell you more about the others later) so I'll try to squeeze in as many NSDs as possible. It also a bit hectic at the moment trying to organise my son's move to Dundee so I will go back to the first posts and catch up with everybody.

Off to work now with my first LTW of the month. Not NSD today as we have a family farewell meal booked tonight.

Have a nice day turtles!

Oh thanks for this great challenge, EE!

Welcome back TOG. If your son needs any tips/info about Dundee (it's where I live), PM me.
  • thriftylass
    edited 1 September 2016 at 9:38AM
    Good morning,

another productive evening yesterday. DH got the last of the hedge trimming to the dump and realised too that he felt held back by the kids, making them an excuse for not getting anything done (just meaning they can quite happily entertain themselves for half an hour than needing our constant attention, if that makes sense). Whereas if you break up a big project into half an hour slots a night it can be done quite easily. So hopefully we can keep this momentum going and get 2-3 projects done by christmas.

With Friday coming up and Friday SM trips being my fall down, I will do a food audit tonight. It seems like we have loads of food in fridge, freezer and cupboards left. I also noticed a difference in fruit and snack consumption (much lower) since DS started school and both kids now get their lunch.

As OH is out tonight and I don't have to worry about our dinner, I decided to have a fast day to reset my digestive system. Just been eating too much rubbish pretending it's ok as I have muesli and salad etc for the main meals. But been feeling quite sluggish and bloated. Back to a healthy balanced diet tomorrow.
    Till later
  • evkizzy
    evkizzy Posts: 128 Forumite
    Spends- should achieve 14 NSDs.
    Eating- I meal plan weekly but I want to try and use up the more unusual ingredients (rice paper, nori, vegan eggmix) at my Supper Club.
    Presents - I have a huge immediate family. So I'm not spending more than £5 p/head aiming for a value of around £10. I've already bought a few bits (£8 wine for £3.56 thanks to Jordan Cox) and Animal Kingdom colouring book (reduced in Debenhams from £9.99-£2.99).
    Time - me time or "self care" is something I'm always trying to strive for. May make this "us" time ad my SO and I have been busy working and doing separate things that we've not been doing any "couple" things lately.
    Empty I did a huge house clear out in August so I plan to sort out the cupboard under the stairs and the recyling room/outhouse thing.
    Meet - arrange a trip to P'Bro to visit a friend who moved away and a planned shopping trip out with my other friend who lives in Manchester.
    Bed my garden is now looking like a "wildlife sanctuary" so I definitely need to cut the grass and cut back the shrubs for winter.
    Exercise I'm not good at this. Will try harder. Really want to go ice skating at some point.
    Reading going to start the Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gamen as I've been wanting to read the series for ages.

Budget... I have a plan. After seeing a cb ank manager about my debts I'll be discussing swapping money about to get me some interest free goodness so my repaymts will actually start making a dent!

I run a supper club every month where I cook a 3 course meal and people pay a donation. I think I should only take the deposits this month and make it a "free" event for the regulars. (My harvest/giving back).
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business