NST: Sailing into September

Options

Comments

• Lauralozzle
    Options
    Yesterday was a NSD so that's 1/14 sorted. Budgets are set - they're tight this month but hopefully doable.

Not planning on a shop until Sunday so hopefully today and tomorrow will also be NSD! We'll see! I have next week off work so rally hoping to get house sorted then :)
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Buffy - hugs to your friend.

Greent - what has caused your wooziness? Hope it improves.

nannygladys - yay to 1000 posts!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Morning everyone

How I did yesterday

Didn't manage NSD as we needed some essentials. Also bought a free range chicken for Sunday lunch but it was reduced by 30%. Think I'll have to ban partner (Can I call him C from now on?) from shops – packet of apples pies and two packets of crisps mysteriously appeared at checkout.

Apple Muncher

Thanks for the advice about train fares. They've been a regular expense from beginning of the year so I've done as you've suggested.

Have planned menus for lunch and dinner for next seven days. Everything (appart from aforementioned chicken) is coming from stock of food in freezer. Should only need some veg and milk and some fruit for son's packed lunch.

Have made present and card list. Will need some more cards and wrapping paper but not too much. Am going to start buying stamps for those that need posting. If I remember correctly it cost an absolute fortune last year.

Didn't manage to spend time just on my own but had a lovely ninety minute walk with C through the park.

Cleared the junk drawer in living room. We are now takeaway menu free and the bus and train timetables are actually the current ones.

Contacted my lovely cousin and am going for lunch with her next Thusday.

Started tidying flower pots(There are a lot of them!)

Haven't been to library yet but library ticket is now in my purse ready for use.

Bought my first little item for food bank.

Have a lovely day
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Quick update.

I did it Yes I finally after a year of procastinating I cleared out under the sink yesterday, moths were flying out of there. Don't need to ever by cleaning products again, stored some in garage so much of it. Found bit off my window cleaner tool looked for ages for. As my gas meter is under the sink will save embarrassment when someone comes to read it.

Spent yesterday under 8 pounds, fruit and more veg. Plan to make nice carrot and corrainder soup later.

Nothing planned for weekend as not wanting to spend at all.

After making. payments to my credit cards yesterday now stands at 370.00 higher than end July. Total debt now stands at 4057.00.
    Set up payments for 207 out of next week wages and hope to get down to 3.5k at end of the month. Being debt free by Xmas isn't going to happen.

Will make pressie lists over weekend. |Had a nice chilled out 30 mins with iced coffee (homemade) and local newspaper yesterday.
    Library still not got there yet.

Fed my lawn with moss killer last night. Tidying up planned in garden over weekend.

Have a great one everyone.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, can I join please?

We are in the middle of a renovation project and have recently moved back in. Things are still fairly chaotic, our initial budget ran out a while ago and we are spending a lot. Also, I'm a teacher and could do with something else to focus on and keep me sane over the next few weeks!

I'm going to copy the rules and have a ponder over how they relate to us,

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Pepperoni
    Options
    Spends – aim for at least 14 NSD’s -
    Going for this! Definitely. Amongst whittering away money, my biggest spends are on groceries and clothes for my children - I've separately signed up to two challenges to help keep this in line.

Eating – menu plan for September -
    I do weekly meal plans so will continue with this. I'm on maternity leave so tend to use a lot of our freezer supplies for lunches but will try even harder to use all the cupboards generally.

Presents – make your Christmas lists.
    I know who I want to buy for but do need to decide exact amounts and what I'm going to buy them. Would love to do some homemade stuff but rubbish at that - will keep an eye on the Oldstyle board for inspiration.

Time – make time for yourself this month.
    Need to make more of an effort with this one.

Empty.
    Dedicating this to my sons room! He's in with us still but will be going into his own room soon, so I need to clear it and keep it clear for him.

Meet –
    Got a few things planned involving faces I haven't seen for a while this month.

Bed–
    Our garden is a state so I'm dedicating this one to sorting that a bit. I need to paint the fence, and need to get husband to sort the 'play area' he's doing and possibly clear out our tip of a garage too.

Exercise –
    Will pull my fitbit out and start doing 10,000 steps again.

Reading –
    Going to twist this to suit - need to read some Annabel Karmel books and get up to speed on weaning. Did babyled last time where as I want to do more traditional route this time.

Budget for the month is done... bonus is that my husband is starting a new job in the middle of the month. No more commute! Which means that he will be doing as many miles over four weeks as he has been doing in one week... hello petrol money savings!

Will definitely donate to food bank this month.

Good luck everyone - oh and on track for my first NSD of the month! :) Didn't manage it yesterday as had a soft play session and petrol to pay for.
    • [STRIKE]Credit Card: £2,989 / £2,989[/STRIKE]
    • Bank Loan: £12,000 / £14,000
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spends – aim for at least 14 NSD’s.

A lot of our things were ready for the skip when we moved out six months ago and some of our things were ruined in storage so we have a long list of things to buy for the house. We are also still buying building materials so I think NSDs will be few and far between! I may still record if any do happen so I have something to beat next month.

Eating – menu plan for September.

I am just about to do a September menu plan but our cupboards and freezer are almost empty and need stocking up!

Presents – make your Christmas lists.

I would like to get on top of this early. We are having Christmas at our house this year (if it is ready) and it will be expensive. I have suggested everyone helps with a dish and also that we do £10 a present for immediate family.

Time – make time for yourself this month.

This one will be important (and near impossible) as I go back to work this month! Also need to encourage DH to do this as he works full time then works on our own house in the evenings and weekends

Empty – pick a drawer or cupboard to empty and sort through.

As I said earlier, we have very little 'stuff' around the place (apart from tools etc). I am trying to sort through things as we unpack and make sure everything is well organised. We still have a lot of bin bags and things in storage that we have nowhere to put yet. There is always building stuff to tidy, organise and throw away!

Meet – meet up with a friend/family member who you have not seen for ages but keep meaning to.

I'm feeling a bit isolated from some of my friends at the moment so I need to make a real effort here. I have a couple of friends who understand and one I've been promising to meet up with.

Bed– either start bedding down the garden for winter or you will start making the bedroom suitable for the cooler weather.

Bed - our bedroom only has three walls and no flooring so I feel very uninspired in this area! I have no idea what duvet is on the bed at the moment and a new bed is on the list to buy. Our old divan and mattress went mouldy in storage

Garden - looks like a rubbish tip at the moment. I need to keep on top of the weeds and our neighbours trees that grow over the fence.

Exercise – do as much exercise as possible, aim for every 2 days as a minimum.

Need to walk the dogs at least 5 days a week and go to all of my pilates classes as I pay in advance.

Reading –

Our local library is under threat of closure I finished a book last night and have two books ready. Dominion by CJ Sansom and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith.

Everyone is to budget their income for the month and remember to pay your debts first.
    Where do you want to be in 12 months’ time?
    Plan for your future.
    So what did you want to happen in 12 months -has it happened?

12 months ago I wasn't a member but I was recently-ish married and we were at the start of the building work. A lot has happened since then, including losing my dear FIL suddenly. I'm feeling more positive about the next 12 months.

In 12 months time I would love to be pregnant!!! But I'm not very hopeful about this (please prove me wrong!)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spent yesterday but all budgeted for:

£12.90 takeaway (pay day monthly treat)
    £0.57 bananas
    £32.00 to repay MIL who had bought DS some clothing items at DH request

DH forgot his lunch today so not a good start to this target :o

We will spend on some beers for DH tonight and DS has Karate tomorrow and I need to pay for his class and last week's grading (£28:eek:).

Weekends are when we tend to do most of our spending so will keep a careful eye this weekend. We do need to do a food shop as DH will need stuff for lunches next week and we are out of fresh stuff.

I applied for shop and scan when we moved and have been accepted so will send the first test off today to get my £10 :) Also claimed £11.90 from top cash back. I am hoping to top up my savings as we are having some work done in our kitchen.

I spotted some interesting Christmas gift ideas for my friends daughter's and a game for DS in B&M this week but need to think a bit more about what I want to get them before I buy.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Just got back from tosco and spent £15.61 so not too bad. Before that called in to a friend I haven't seen for a while and stopped for a coffee and cake, good catch up.

Dinner on stove, mostly home grown and having an ice Lolly for afters. May get back in later

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well my plan to do a tesco pick up order to avoid the shops on a Friday won't happen as they now charge £3 for same day orders. So we will pop into Tesco after work for the bare essentials and I will do a sensible Aldi shop on Sat or Sun.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure