Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had the "good news" email from Sky. My discounted deal ends on 20th June ( ~ 43% discount on "standard price") but they have generously continued my offers for 12 months - except they haven't - the offer equates to ~ 34% by my maths ! I'm currently paying £48.50 for Signature plus Sports all in HD and it'll go to £55.50 pm.
    They try to make it look good by stressing the " ££savings" over the 12 months
    The only positive thing is that there is no minimum term!
    I'm still going to play the game in a couple of weeks - I'm going to look for £50pm or better - wish me luck !!
  • jpwjpw
    jpwjpw Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May at 1:50PM
    Options
    Cancelled on Monday, got a call back on Wed:

Sky Signature: £36.50 £18.50
    Ultimate TV Pack (Netflix with Ads): £4.50
    Sky Sports Complete: £33 £12
    Sky Cinema: £13
    Sky Sports HD: £6 £2
    Multiscreen: £15 £5

£55 in total for an 18 month contract

Looks like I lost Sky HD in the process, but I don't care too much about that - I only really need it for sports. I didn't really need Cinema, but it was part of the package to get the discounts.

£20 admin fee, but £20 credit given to cancel that out.

I could get it slightly cheaper with Virgin but their customer services is the absolute worst and I'd need more cabling installed.
  • Wongus
    Wongus Posts: 53 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nova1307 said:

Wongus said:
    Struck a deal for:

Signature £22.50 
    Sky Sports in HD £14 
    Sky Cinema £10 
    Sky HD £5

£51.50 total, they would not budge on the £20 admin fee for heaven or earth. 
    Nice work. Was that done via the online chat link shared a couple of pages back or over the telephone?
    I submitted a cancellation request, then I received an email about the offer, they were calling almost everyday too, I eventually spoke to them via chat.
  • Ratinthekitchen
    Ratinthekitchen Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's been a week since I gave my notice. Not a sniff. No emails, no calls. I'm sure the retentions person I spoke to (who didn't even try and make me stay) has put a note on my account saying don't give him anything lol
  • marchesini46
    marchesini46 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's been a week since I gave my notice. Not a sniff. No emails, no calls. I'm sure the retentions person I spoke to (who didn't even try and make me stay) has put a note on my account saying don't give him anything lol
    I've not yet cancelled as I still have a few weeks left on my contract but I wonder if there's some correlation between how many years you've been with them v how likely you are to leave.  

For example, if you've only been a customer for 3 years (2 contracts), then it's likely that you would actually leave as you're a serial switcher whose decisions are based on the best price, whereas if you've been a customer for over 20 years, then. the likelihood of you leaving is less as you've never followed through and can't be bothered with the hassle of switching.  

This is just a theory of course but I've been a customer for over 10 years and don't recall getting anything like the deals that others are posting on here in the past and I wonder if there is some truth in my theory?

That said, I hope you manage to get a good deal but as others have said, sometimes you actually have to follow through and be disconnected for a few days to get the best deal.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been with sky since 2012 and have Netflix add on, cinema and entertainment. It was costing me £37 a month. I'm out of contract as of 19 May and it was due to rise to £63 a month. I called to cancel and the best they could offer me was £45 a month so I went through with the cancellation. Thus far I have heard nothing from sky trying to keep my custom. I would have recontracted if they had offered me the same deal that they are offering sign ups to sky stream (£31 a month for entertainment, movies and netflix basic), but they weren't prepared to. So it looks like I'll be going to Now TV for entertainment and cinema for £13.99 and netflix for £4.99 a month.
  • jpwjpw
    jpwjpw Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 May at 2:55PM
    Options
    Are you opted out of all marketing calls? That could be why possibly?

I've not yet cancelled as I still have a few weeks left on my contract but I wonder if there's some correlation between how many years you've been with them v how likely you are to leave.  

For example, if you've only been a customer for 3 years (2 contracts), then it's likely that you would actually leave as you're a serial switcher whose decisions are based on the best price, whereas if you've been a customer for over 20 years, then. the likelihood of you leaving is less as you've never followed through and can't be bothered with the hassle of switching.  

This is just a theory of course but I've been a customer for over 10 years and don't recall getting anything like the deals that others are posting on here in the past and I wonder if there is some truth in my theory?

That said, I hope you manage to get a good deal but as others have said, sometimes you actually have to follow through and be disconnected for a few days to get the best deal.
    I've been with them 8 years and have still got a deal on every renewal so far. I am firm though, I don't believe the product is worth anywhere near the list price. With rights to TV shows and sports being so fragmented now, the actual value of the Sky packages has decreased whilst the price has gone way up!
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been with sky since 2012 and have Netflix add on, cinema and entertainment. It was costing me £37 a month. I'm out of contract as of 19 May and it was due to rise to £63 a month. I called to cancel and the best they could offer me was £45 a month so I went through with the cancellation. Thus far I have heard nothing from sky trying to keep my custom. I would have recontracted if they had offered me the same deal that they are offering sign ups to sky stream (£31 a month for entertainment, movies and netflix basic), but they weren't prepared to. So it looks like I'll be going to Now TV for entertainment and cinema for £13.99 and netflix for £4.99 a month.
    If you have Q and wanted to keep it then there's no chance of them matching the Stream offer, they're trying to move people off Q on to Stream. Of course if you wanted to try Stream then there's no reason you couldn't get the same deal as new customers.

If you are considering Stream then you may want to check out Virgin Stream as well although you do need Virgin broadband. It's a £35 activation fee initially and then you can add and remove various rolling monthly subscriptions. There are a few free channels, mainly all the BBC, ITV etc ones and they're all in HD.
  • NotCalledJohn
    NotCalledJohn Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    If you have Q and wanted to keep it then there's no chance of them matching the Stream offer, they're trying to move people off Q on to Stream. Of course if you wanted to try Stream then there's no reason you couldn't get the same deal as new customers.
    I explicitly put this to cancellations (moving from Q to Stream for the cost of a new customer offer) and was told it wouldn't be possible.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I explicitly put this to cancellations (moving from Q to Stream for the cost of a new customer offer) and was told it wouldn't be possible.
    Wow, have you tried the complaints route?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback