We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

1…788789791793794…813

Comments

  • flyBobfly
    flyBobfly Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Sky customer for 30+ years bar a break when I moved to a flat and we couldn't get any thing til about 4 years later, so 21 years continuously. I moved from SkyQ to Stream because we had to pay "rental" to our landlord for the satellite dish. I had Sky Ultimate + Ad Skipping. I didn't renew when my contract ended a while ago as I was thinking of getting an Aura or Manhattan device. Suddenly my subscription was going to hit £44. Called to cancel and was offered £3 off. New customers would pay £30 for the same package. I had Disney+ via a deal site for only £50 for a year, and it's the ad free version.

    I was expecting a call back, an email, something in my account over the next 31 days. Nothing. The service ended last week and I'm waiting for the box to post the puck back.

    In the meantime I upgraded my Amazon Firestick to their fastest one. I'm now used to the interface and I prefer not getting the big splash screen Sky forced on everyone. I can get all the programs I used to watch on Sky via here, plus more like Pluto, Rakutan (free video rental from Vitality Health) and MarqueTV. If I want I could subscribe to ITVx+ and All4+ to skip ads. If I want anything that is only on Sky, I'll activate Now for a month and binge watch those shows. The one annoying thing is the delay between live broadcasts and the Firestick. I was watching the Eurovision semifinals and final while text a mate in Australia and he was getting to see things before me. Turned over to my TV signal and it felt like it was 45 seconds to a minute behind. I may look at a Freely box to see if they have less of a lag.

    So I'll be interested to see if Sky come back, but it will have to a really good offer to rejoin. I did use the free cinema screenings a couple of times and other items in their freebie package, but I think I will save money by not subscribing with Sky again. I've unconnected my apps from the puck and reset it to factory settings now. Just waiting for the box to send it back!

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    The delay on the Firestick would have been the same on the Sky Stream box, it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid and Freely (which is through the internet as well, not that you get much if any sport there) will be no different. Mute your phone and don't look at it ;)

  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 9,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Thought the Stream puck was " yours" - do Sky actually reuse them for new customers ?

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    They're 'loaned' only and have to go back once the service is finished. They get refurbished and reused I beleive.

  • flyBobfly
    flyBobfly Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Interesting point. Before I cancelled, I went through my sky account and it under equipment it said "customers own". On my cancellation call they told me they would send a box to send it back, but I'm still waiting. We'll see. Perhaps they're hoping I'll cave and call in and they will reactivate it. As each day passes, the more I get comfortable with my Amazon Firestick. I also discovered my 14 year old tv can record live TV onto as USB stick. This is only the Freesat channels of course, and not via the Firestick.

  • Detail_Merchant
    Detail_Merchant Posts: 504 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    When Sky first launched Sky Stream (October 2022) they did sell the pucks to customers, but they changed to loaning them instead (and requiring them to be sent back when stopping Sky TV) at the end of February 2023.

  • KneadtheDough
    KneadtheDough Posts: 501 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    "I also discovered my 14 year old tv can record live TV onto as USB stick. This is only the Freesat channels of course"

    How did you do that, please? (My 'smart' TV is roughly the same age…)

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Not all Smart TVs are equal so we'd have to know the make & model of yours. Be aware that this usually means recording the channel being watched and frequently without any schedulling. It's generally of no use whatsoever.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Be very careful when adding something like Sky Cinema, as the Sky droids are prone to renew your whole contract. I had this earlier this year, when I just wanted Sky Cinema for 1 month, and specifically stated that. It was a nightmare trying to get all my existing discounts back. They basically told me first that they couldnt reverse anything and I was stuck with a new 2 year contract . Next time I will just NowTV if I want Cinema for a month.

  • KneadtheDough
    KneadtheDough Posts: 501 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Ah, not as old as I thought — just over 6.5 years old:

    Samsung UE40MU6120 HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 40" with TVPlus

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.