Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• Vestraun
    Vestraun Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cancelled my sky last month as my package of TV, HD/UHD and Netflix Premium was increase above £40 which is just far too much to justify given we mostly watch Netflix and free tv channels - however don’t mind paying a bit for some of the extra sky channels and the ease of use of Sky Q. 

Anyway, I was offered various “deals” at time of cancelling and while in notice period, but they were all quite poor, £1 off hear and there and some offers more expensive than what I was originally paying. 

My sky ended the other week and I had a call from a nice chap who offered my the same like for like package (did initially try to take the Netflix down to a more basic package but I insisted I wanted exactly the same as I had before) and they offered £37 which I was happy with. 

My sky has been reactivated but they have not included the HD/UHD. I feel I have been done over as if this is added back in I will be paying more than what my previous contract was going up to without now entering into a new contract. I’m furious with the amount of time I’ve wasted speaking to them. I emailed into complain and had a very poorly written response saying they are sorry but I will just need to call up to “make changes” to my package. Does anyone know if this is grounds for complaint and how to get sky to take a complaint seriously? My opinion this is mis-selling of some sort! 

As a side note, it’s ridiculous we need to pay more for UHD never mind HD! It’s 2024 FGS!
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    @Vestraun You'll be in your cooling off period so can cancel. You can try complaining although this doesn't work as well as it used to with Sky, they seem to have outsourced a lot of staff and have an Indian call centre they use. The best thing to do would be try calling, if you get the crappy call centre just email telling them you want to cancel, if they want to charge you extra the full price for HD alone is £9 which is ridiculous.
    My Sky cancelled recently, I'm watching fta freesat through my TV and paying Netflix directly. I don't miss Sky at all. 
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    mits999 said:
    Have you actually cancelled and given your 31 day notice for tv?

maybe consider switching broadband to Vodafone they are a lot cheaper 
    Not quite there yet, I'll keep trying and then if no decent offers will cancel.  Re broadband I'm with BT till 2025 and it's over £200 to cancel.  BT are fine to be honest, when Sky broadband and mobile went down the other day in yet another outage my Sky mobile was down for hours but broadband fine as it was with BT.  Think I've had one day in 25 years when BT broadband went down.  Been three or four with sky mobile since I left o2 a few years back.
  • mits999
    mits999 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Max68 said:
    mits999 said:
    Have you actually cancelled and given your 31 day notice for tv?

maybe consider switching broadband to Vodafone they are a lot cheaper 
    Not quite there yet, I'll keep trying and then if no decent offers will cancel.  Re broadband I'm with BT till 2025 and it's over £200 to cancel.  BT are fine to be honest, when Sky broadband and mobile went down the other day in yet another outage my Sky mobile was down for hours but broadband fine as it was with BT.  Think I've had one day in 25 years when BT broadband went down.  Been three or four with sky mobile since I left o2 a few years back.
    BT Broadband generally is the best for reliability as they control and maintain the network through openreach 
  • newdriver101
    newdriver101 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cancelled my Sky contract and have a week or so to go. 
    I currently only have Sky Signature for £36 (used to have Sky broadband but moved + Sky couldn't support my new location).

Was hoping to add Sky Sports (just because - annoyingly - all the tennis has moved there + apparently you can't get the Sky Tennis channel on its own).

Received the "sorry to see you go" message + contacted Sky on the chat and was offered:
    Signature = £23.50
    Sky Sports = £20.00
    Total £43.50 PLUS £10 admin fee.

I think I might have to let the contract run to the end and contact them again.
    Anyone know if it's better to speak to a person?
    Update:
    I was offered a deal of £34 for both Sky Signature and Sky Sports (including April price hike) + £10 admin fee. couldn't remove the admin fee.
    Thought this was a good deal and accepted but a day later was told there would be a JUNE price hike(!!) so have emailed cancelling.
    Not sure if I'll get another deal but thought this June hike after offering me a new deal was really cheeky + bad customer service so will see what happens...
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ccdorset said:
    I just cancelled Sky Stream, intending to move back to Sky Q.

The agent cancelled down Sky Stream and gave me prices for Sky Q, but said I had to wait 31 days until Sky Stream was completely cancelled before I could order Q. Seems a bit strange as I'll be without Sky for some time, as I'll have to wait for an engineer appointment once I order in a month's time.

He gave me the following prices for Q (though I can't order at the moment):

Sky Signature £24.50
    Netflix without Ads £10.5
    HD £5
    Ultra £2
    Cinema £10

I'll be getting rid of Cinema and Ultra HD anyway, but looks like the prices for the rest are still too high compared to other offers. Not sure how it will work for me though, as I guess effectively I will be a new Sky Q customer again, so I don't know if I'll be able to get win back offers etc.

I phoned Sky again, as I read that I should have been able to cancel Sky Stream with immediate effect and order Sky Q on the same call. Managed to get through to someone far more helpful who did this for me and I have my Sky Q install booked for Thursday this week.

The deal he offered was:

Sky Signature £23
    Netflix without Ads £10.5
    HD £6

Total £39.50 a month

Probably not the best deal out there, but I think my options were quite limited when moving from Stream to Q.

• chocolatepennyfarthing
    Options
    Have Signature package and am on 30 days notice that finishes 18/04/24.  Price increasing from £17.00 to £22.50.  Just wondering what the best price people have been offered.  I don't have sports/films etc ,  not sure what my options are going forward as have no aeriel, do I need to buy a plug in device ?(TV about 9 years old).  Is there another option to watch basic channel live tv or be able to record?  Advice appreciated.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • Andyjm15
    Andyjm15 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Have Signature package and am on 30 days notice that finishes 18/04/24.  Price increasing from £17.00 to £22.50.  Just wondering what the best price people have been offered.  I don't have sports/films etc ,  not sure what my options are going forward as have no aeriel, do I need to buy a plug in device ?(TV about 9 years old).  Is there another option to watch basic channel live tv or be able to record?  Advice appreciated.
    Sky Essentials might work for you. 
    With TV Essentials, you‘ll be able to Record, Pause and Rewind Free to air channels and make use of BBC and ITV catch up services as well as Channel 4 and Channel 5 catch up content in SD
    I was quoted £15 a month, but others are getting for £10 or less.
    Give Sky a call and ask.
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    Andyjm15 said:
    Sky Essentials might work for you. 
    With TV Essentials, you‘ll be able to Record, Pause and Rewind Free to air channels and make use of BBC and ITV catch up services as well as Channel 4 and Channel 5 catch up content in SD
    I was quoted £15 a month, but others are getting for £10 or less.
    Give Sky a call and ask.
    Yep that's what I am looking at if I get no decent deal.  Like Andyjm15 my aerial hasn't worked since I've lived here so rely on the box although I can get a few channel's through my TV or Chromecast.  Only problem is sport as with Essentials they won't add anything to it.  It's Signature that's the issue as it's compulsory with a package it seems.   
  • mits999
    mits999 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April at 5:06PM
    Options
    Let the tv fully disconnect then they will offer signature for £17.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure