Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• aliriddle
    aliriddle Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    aliriddle said:

This was my previous contract. Over the years ive been using sky less and less, so have cancelled my contract.

Is this still seen as a good deal if they offered the same again going forward? Im in a sort of take it or leave it mood, due to reliance on Netflix and Disney over sky.  In reality I watch some Freeview channels, Football and F1.  

Signature
    Sports
    HD
    UHD

Two weeks into cooldown have been offered £50.50 for Signature, Sports and UHD

Still seems a lot, thoughts?
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why is Netflix without ads so expensive? Is Netflix basic with ads free with Q like it is with stream?
    Yes looks like Netflix Standard with Ads is included with Q. However the next package up without Ads (Netflix Standard) is £10.50 a month.

It does seem expensive, as when going to Netflix direct, Standard with Ads is £4.99, Standard without Ads is £10.99. So if with Ads is included as standard, I would have thought Standard without Ads should just be £6 more. Guess it doesn't work like that with Sky though.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ccdorset said:
    Why is Netflix without ads so expensive? Is Netflix basic with ads free with Q like it is with stream?
    Yes looks like Netflix Standard with Ads is included with Q. However the next package up without Ads (Netflix Standard) is £10.50 a month.

It does seem expensive, as when going to Netflix direct, Standard with Ads is £4.99, Standard without Ads is £10.99. So if with Ads is included as standard, I would have thought Standard without Ads should just be £6 more. Guess it doesn't work like that with Sky though.
    As with Disney+ I suspect that Sky have no say over pricing of Netflix.
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 206 Forumite
    edited 10 April at 1:59PM
    Options
    aliriddle said:
    aliriddle said:

This was my previous contract. Over the years ive been using sky less and less, so have cancelled my contract.

Is this still seen as a good deal if they offered the same again going forward? Im in a sort of take it or leave it mood, due to reliance on Netflix and Disney over sky.  In reality I watch some Freeview channels, Football and F1.  

Signature
    Sports
    HD
    UHD

Two weeks into cooldown have been offered £50.50 for Signature, Sports and UHD

Still seems a lot, thoughts?
    Put it this way I am currently paying £55 for Signature, Sky Sports - Complete Pack, Sky Sports HD, Cinema (Paramount included free), Sky HD and Netflix (no ads) along with Sky Go Extra and the best I have been offered for same so far is £67 for next contract which I have passed on.  If they offered £60 I'd take it.  I think the days of them offering same price or less are long gone unless you get very lucky.

Have never seen Netflix with ads but there was a big hoo-hah about Amazon Prime adding ads or you had to pay £2 extra for the ads free pack.  Many said they were cancelling but to be honest it isn't that bad.  It tends to be a 30 second ad at the start and either one or two 30 second ads at some stage during the programme/film.  Not like You Tube when it seems like every two minutes!  Looked into You Tube Premium and that's about £15.99 a month so £4.99 for Netflix with ads doesn't seem too bad if they are rare such as Prime.

**PS Tried another haggle but this time rather than £67 lowest they could do was £72.  Sure they make it up as they go along!
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    mits999 said:
    Just to bring insight to people who intend to cancel

1)value team is the first team you speak to there offering is very expensive everything is nearly full price and charge £20 admin fee

2)retention team is the team you speak to when you ask to cancel they offer marginal discount + £10 admin fee

3) pending cancel team is when you have cancelled and in 31 day notice period to cut off, example signature £22.50 hd £5 kids £4.50 sky sports hd £12 + £10 fee

4)Winback team  is the team you speak to when you have fully cancelled and tv is off example is signature £18, hd £4, kids £3 sky sports hd £10 + they waive £10 admin fee + at their discretion can apply up to £100 account credit 
    Quite handy that thank you.  I assume l you can't get through to the win back team first?

Wondering if someone may be able t5o answer this.  I assumed Government legislation was coming in to prevent companies charging loyal customers more than new customers?  I believe this is part of the reason why all insurances has gone up, so maybe the legislation was only aimed at the insurance market.  Anyone up to speed with that?
  • antuk
    antuk Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Max68 said:
    mits999 said:

1)value team is the first team you speak to there offering is very expensive everything is nearly full price and charge £20 admin fee

2)retention team is the team you speak to when you ask to cancel they offer marginal discount + £10 admin fee

3) pending cancel team is when you have cancelled and in 31 day notice period to cut off, example signature £22.50 hd £5 kids £4.50 sky sports hd £12 + £10 fee

4)Winback team  is the team you speak to when you have fully cancelled and tv is off example is signature £18, hd £4, kids £3 sky sports hd £10 + they waive £10 admin fee + at their discretion can apply up to £100 account credit 
    Quite handy that thank you.  I assume l you can't get through to the win back team first?

Wondering if someone may be able t5o answer this.  I assumed Government legislation was coming in to prevent companies charging loyal customers more than new customers?  I believe this is part of the reason why all insurances has gone up, so maybe the legislation was only aimed at the insurance market.  Anyone up to speed with that?
    That only applies to FCA regulated firms so insurance/finance etc, and its not worked how people expected. Instead of prices coming down, new customer prices went up.
  • mits999
    mits999 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April at 8:35PM
    Options
    Max68 said:
    mits999 said:

Sky are a very corrupt company unfortunately you have to play their silly game to get to Winback 

the main reason they do this is try and filter out customers, some customers will pay the max other customers will pay the least depends how desparate the customer is and what stage they will accept a deal based on my 4 step analogy 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was  paying  £30 p m on contract.

Contract  has now finished

I can continue with current arrangement for £30 pm with no contract or I can enter into an 18 month  contract for the same arrangement for... wait for it...£53 p m.

Guess what I chose!. 
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Mine cancelled recently and I contacted them after it had switched off. I was put through to the so called winback team which turned out to be a call centre in India and they offered me a 'deal' that was even more than the rubbish ones they'd previously emailed me. I did cancel with the intention of letting it go through though if I didn't get a decent new contract. Sky don't seem to offer good deals anymore, customers need to be prepared to pay more than they were before for a new contract or cancel and go elsewhere. I don't understand people who pay Sky a lot just for Signature and the ability to record (presuming they have good BB) as so much is available on streaming, catch up and fta. Also the Netflix prices via Sky aren't much less than paying Netflix directly being easily able to cancel when needed. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback