Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• ScifiDevote
    ScifiDevote Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi All 👋 ,

I've given my 31 days notice a couple of days ago and received a call from them yesterday offering the following
    package (sorry no breakdown as I asked them to call back today after I had considered it - upto now no call 🤨!)

Sky Signature
    Sky Sports - Complete Pack
    Sky Cinema
    Netflix (With Ads)
    Multiroom
    See it First
    3D (I Know must be one of the last few still diggin the 3D)
    HD & UHD for everything except Netflix

I was paying £59.50 (before the price increase - without netflix) offered £60.50.

Doesn't seem bad given other posts, might try to get them to up the Netflix if they ring back.

What do you think ?

Thanks

• smithers1981
    smithers1981 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’d be happy with that price was there an Admin Fee? I want same package cinema would be a nice bonus also want better Netflix price is in a good ballpark figure imo 
  • ScifiDevote
    First Post
    Options
    I’d be happy with that price was there an Admin Fee? I want same package cinema would be a nice bonus also want better Netflix price is in a good ballpark figure imo 
    Hi,

Never mentioned any admin fee, there again he never rang back so I will give them 
    until Monday and then ring them and see what happens. He did say he was leaving
    notes on my account so hopefully if I have to ring it won't be back to the start 🤞
  • Detail_Merchant
    Detail_Merchant Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TL;DR - Got Signature on Sky+ for £18.50

Last started an 18 months contract with Sky in December 2021 - £24 = £16 signature + £5 cinema + £3 hd
    Of course in April 2022 each part of the deal went up a bit  - £27 = £17 signature + £6 cinema + £4 hd
    Early 2023 dropped hd, but then April price rise came again  - £25 = £19 signature + £6 cinema
    June 2023, 18m ends, 12m lower discount, dropped cinema      - £21 = £21 signature (cinema going to £8)
    April 2024, lower discount ending, signature going up to £36.50!

Tried asking for a better deal last month, but they tried offering £26.50, and the lowest they went was £23.50, so I gave my 31 days notice.
    During the 31 days I did get a couple of texts and an email trying to get me to stay, but with no specific price offer, just trying to get me to talk to them, which I didn't want to do.
    Then, once the 31 days were up, and my Sky+ started having restrictions (could play back an earlier downloaded program), I tried calling Sky, but the person I spoke to didn't offer anything better than a month before.
    Later I tried this link https://www.sky.com/help/articles/comeback - and that got me through to someone more helpful, who offered signature for £18.50 straight off.
    There was some complication re a £10 one-off fee, but after asking they agreed that they will credit that off, and also they had to do it as a Sky Q deal, but then cancel the Sky Q installation.
    I was a little concerned with that, but I had it in writing that I wouldn't had to actually take Sky Q, and I've seen since on my account that the Sky Q install is cancelled.

Overall I'm happy to get the price down to a more reasonable level. If we hadn't been able to then we would have just had to get used to using our Freeview PVR, and using streaming services.
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 April at 5:56PM
    Options
    My contract runs out in July but as I had a bit of time today I thought I would try and see what I could get.  I have Sky Signature, Sky Sports HD, Sky Cinema (Paramount Free), Netflix add on and HD.  Agree with others that in this day and age you shouldn't pay for HD. Been paying £55 for 18 months.  Was paying £56 in 2022, £49 prior to that. In June my bill jumps to £65.79, assume that's price rises or something then after contract finishes it's showing as £101.50, which I certainly want to avoid paying!

I think around a month ago I tried and the lowest they offered was £78 pm.  Today I just asked what my cancellation date was and he opened with an offer of £71 a month   After a while he offered £67 
    but I think that was only by lowering what I would pay for Netflix Standard to the price you would pay Netflix direct for their Standard with ad's package which is £4.99pm.  I said if he waived the £20 admin fee and offered £60pm I would sign up but even though he did waive the admin fee he never went lower than £67 so I declined and got my cancellation date.  They aren't as easy to negotiate with as they used to be. 

Even though it would be £5 more I would take £60 pm to be honest.  I'd probably take £65 but you know there will be yearly price hikes coming in early next year so reluctant as I know it will end up closer to £70.  Still got a month or two before I have to cancel so I might get more luck closer to the time or when I actually do.  If they offer £67 again I may just take off Sky Cinema which saves a tenner as I don't watch that much now especially when you have Netflix and Prime.  

One bit that was worth advising though was asking if the Admin Fee ca be removed.  They give you the old "I'll ask my manager" but it was quite easy to get that off.  Pity about the rest of it!¬
  • smithers1981
    Options
    Mine refused point bland to get rid of £20 admin fee this led to me cancelling I’m now in limbo waiting though I had a missed call from them yesterday when I was at footy 
  • antuk
    antuk Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine refused point bland to get rid of £20 admin fee this led to me cancelling I’m now in limbo waiting though I had a missed call from them yesterday when I was at footy 
    Yeah I had that problem too, I just got them to reduce the price of one of the other things by £1 - save £18 over the 18 month contract to make the admin fee effectively £2
  • markt01
    markt01 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

tried to haggle this morning on chat. 

114 down to 108

he passed me on to retentions the guy basically harassed me to take broad band ( which actually was a good deal) and the sky TV was reduced to 88 if I took the broad band

I said no and the tv element was then increased to 98

again I said no

I will try again in the week and cancel

• smithers1981
    Options
    Signature is normally £36.50, but you'll pay £22.50 (with an 18-month contract) 

Sky Sports in HD is normally £39, but you'll pay £14 (with an 18-month contract) 

Sky Cinema is normally £13, but you'll pay £9 with sports

Sky HD is normally £9, but you'll pay £5 

Netflix Premium without ads is £15.50, but you'll pay £7.50

Sky (Q) Multiscreen is normally £15, but you'll pay £12 (with an 18-month contract) 

Paramount+ normally £6.99 but it's included with Sky Cinema at no extra cost

It brings your total to £70 

wouldnt waive £20 admin instead gave £1 a month off so more palatable.
  • ScifiDevote
    First Post
    Options
    Well, Called sky today as they had not called back. The 
    lady I spoke to went through the breakdown as follows:

Signature: £21.50
    HD: £4
    Netflix: £4.5
    Sports: £19
    Ultra HD: 2
    See it first: Free
    3D: Free
    Multiroom: £9.5

I immediately commented that they had not mentioned Cinema
    which she confirmed was not included !, I said that the previous
    caller had said it was the same as I had but included Netflix. She
    checked and confirmed that Cinema would be £4.5 = £65 total.

I said I was not interested and would continue the cancellation.

I might try again at the beginning of next month just before the
    actual cancellation to see if they improve the offer or do you think
    it is best to let it cancel and then try before I send the kit back ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback