Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

in Phones & TV
4.7K replies 873.8K views

Replies

• Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    12K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I messaged them via text to 07860 015589
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our 30 day notice period was due to expire today, just contacted Sky today and got the Sky Signature package with a Sky Q 1TB box (we did have a Sky+ box) for £16 pcm on an 18 month contract, they wanted to charge a £10 admin fee but they waived that with a bit of a push. Prior to giving notice we were paying £23 pcm so a saving of £7 a month, I'm happy with that.  I hope this helps someone else.
    Does that include HD ??
  • DeleteriousDeleterious Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I gave them notice to leave on the 20th September after a derisory offer from retentions and the follow up call team. I contacted them the following Friday on the chat link and the offer was ok although still over priced when compared to their competitors, sports aside.

Signature: 18
    HD:3
    Multiroom: 11
    Sky sports: 9
    uhd: free

I had a meeting so had to leave the chat but when I contacted them later that day they increased sky sports to 14 and wouldn't acknowledge the previous offer. Left it at that. Contacted them again yesterday and the offer remains the same. Their strategy yesterday was one of hubris and arrogance. The advisor was literally telling me that people will pay full price even under contract because sky are the best and that I should feel privileged to have any 'offer' at all. The advisor kept on mentioning '200 channels' and '300 box sets'. I told him that I'd been priced out and would have to continue my cancellation. Next step is to wait it out until I'm disconnected then go with BT TV or plusnet and freeview recorder (unfortunately virgin media isnt available where i live). 
  • DeleteriousDeleterious Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Forgot to mention that they offered Netflix for 6 pounds
  • PZ19PZ19 Forumite
    320 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I gave them notice to leave on the 20th September after a derisory offer from retentions and the follow up call team. I contacted them the following Friday on the chat link and the offer was ok although still over priced when compared to their competitors, sports aside.

Signature: 18
    HD:3
    Multiroom: 11
    Sky sports: 9
    uhd: free

I had a meeting so had to leave the chat but when I contacted them later that day they increased sky sports to 14 and wouldn't acknowledge the previous offer. Left it at that. Contacted them again yesterday and the offer remains the same. Their strategy yesterday was one of hubris and arrogance. The advisor was literally telling me that people will pay full price even under contract because sky are the best and that I should feel privileged to have any 'offer' at all. The advisor kept on mentioning '200 channels' and '300 box sets'. I told him that I'd been priced out and would have to continue my cancellation. Next step is to wait it out until I'm disconnected then go with BT TV or plusnet and freeview recorder (unfortunately virgin media isnt available where i live). 
    That seems a good offer to me, not sure what people get charged multiroom maybe lose the hd fee, but £30 for sports and uhd seems decent 
  • MrJamezMrJamez Forumite
    54 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    This is what my dad is paying at the minute.. assume he is getting ripped off? Contract is up next month.

• Del_IIIDel_III Forumite
    16 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    nickmack said:

They sent me a text, so I went back on chat today.  I told them I'm not paying for HD, as pretty much every programme has been filmed in at least HD for the last decade and this is just an Admin charge, poorly disguised as an HD fee.
    I'm surprised they don't have a fee for colour programmes. :D
  • PZ19PZ19 Forumite
    320 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    MrJamez said:
    This is what my dad is paying at the minute.. assume he is getting ripped off? Contract is up next month.

Yes plenty of room there for big savings..I would give them call with month to go to see what they can do, as it’s way too high and if don’t come down enough put cancellation in and wait to see what offers they can do for you. Have quick look through this forum to see what others are getting charged.  That price can come down massively
  • tv_dealer7tv_dealer7 Forumite
    7 Posts
    First Post
    PZ19 said:
    MrJamez said:

Yes plenty of room there for big savings..I would give them call with month to go to see what they can do, as it’s way too high and if don’t come down enough put cancellation in and wait to see what offers they can do for you. Have quick look through this forum to see what others are getting charged.  That price can come down massively
    For comparison having cancelled I’ve just been offered in an email:
    £18 signature 
    £5 Netflix (ultimate)
    £14 sport
    £6 cinema 
    £3 HD 
    £5 UHD
    £11 multiroom 
    And £10 “admin’ fee. My current deal isn’t up for couple of months so I’ll probably wait until then to decide what to do.  
  • edited 7 October 2021 at 10:39AM
    WeaveWeave Forumite
    142 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2021 at 10:39AM
    We currently have sky + with one box with the following and out of contract:
    Sky entertainment £24
    Sky box sets £2
    Sky kids £2
    Sky Cinema £13
    Sky HD £4

Total cost now is £45

I want to add another box to the kitchen so contacted Sky chat to upgrade and was offered on 06-10-2021:

Sky Q with extra mini box -

No Sky Q setup fee (actual cost £99)
    No Sky mini setup fee (actual cost £50)
    No One time admin fee (actual cost £20)

Sky Signature (includes box sets) for £21 a month for 18 months contract. (Actual cost £31)
    Sky HD for free (Actual cost £7 a month)
    Sky Kids for £5 a month
    Sky Cinema for £11 a month for 18 months contract. (Actual cost £19)
    Sky Q multi screen for £15 a month for 18 months contract. (Actual cost £15)

I would pay £52 a month for 18 months, this was after haggling. I tried to get them down to £50 a month but they would not do it so I left it.

Am I asking for too much discount?
    Would you wait until Black Friday?
    I have not cancelled so I guess there is no incentive for them as I am still paying £45, should I cancel?