Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

in Phones & TV
4.4K replies 825.5K views

Replies

• dinglebertdinglebert Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone able to update on the current process of getting best deal.  I have been through this every year/18 months for the past umteen years but the process for getting best deal does change over the years.

I am out of contract 4th December.  Current costs for full package plus netflix is going to be £78.

Thats  signature, ultimate, hd, ultra hd, sports, movies, netflix

I have no intention of paying that and will walk and go back to my humax box if necessary.

I did a tentative phone call yesterday but best offer was £76!

It is my intention to phone again 31 days before 4th December (can't be bothered to work that one out right now) and see whats on offer.  Will go through to retentions or whatever they now call it.  I have not found that their price will be the best price, so its a matter of giving notice.

This is where I am currently unclear.  In previous years the best price has either been one of the TV screen rather than on the PC or I have had a phonecall from Sky pretending to be asking about the cancellation process but in reality they have offered me the best deal at that point.

Any current experiences of the process?
  • tv_dealer7tv_dealer7 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Anyone able to update on the current process of getting best deal.  I have been through this every year/18 months for the past umteen years but the process for getting best deal does change over the years.

I am out of contract 4th December.  Current costs for full package plus netflix is going to be £78.

I have no intention of paying that and will walk and go back to my humax box if necessary.

It is my intention to phone again 31 days before 4th December (can't be bothered to work that one out right now) and see whats on offer.  Will go through to retentions or whatever they now call it.  I have not found that their price will be the best price, so its a matter of giving notice.

This is where I am currently unclear.  In previous years the best price has either been one of the TV screen rather than on the PC or I have had a phonecall from Sky pretending to be asking about the cancellation process but in reality they have offered me the best deal at that point.

If you actually cancel (eg give notice - which you can do before the 31 day period starts, so now for 4 Dec) then you should be pretty much immediately be offered via email the package above for £51/m. You can cancel via the app / chat if don’t want to do charade with someone over phone. Plus £11 for multiroom. May well be possible to get cheaper as others on here have shown, but I’d benchmark that as maximum you should pay on 18 month contract. 
  • edited 18 October at 12:24PM
    dinglebertdinglebert Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 18 October at 12:24PM

If you actually cancel (eg give notice - which you can do before the 31 day period starts, so now for 4 Dec) then you should be pretty much immediately be offered via email the package above for £51/m. You can cancel via the app / chat if don’t want to do charade with someone over phone. Plus £11 for multiroom. May well be possible to get cheaper as others on here have shown, but I’d benchmark that as maximum you should pay on 18 month contract. 

Have waiting over an hour twice for  a human to contact me on the app.  Was doing other work so it was open on the pc.  Dreadful lack of service.

Finally got a human.  Thats me cancelled for 4th December.  Their final offer was £64 today.  Will wait to see what happens next.
  • paulst78paulst78 Forumite
    8 Posts
    First Post First Anniversary

Have waiting over an hour twice for  a human to contact me on the app.  Was doing other work so it was open on the pc.  Dreadful lack of service.

Finally got a human.  Thats me cancelled for 4th December.  Their final offer was £64 today.  Will wait to see what happens next.
    Going from personal experience, don't do anything till at least the 5th of December, allow the service to completely go off then contact them on sky.com/comeback10 (this is chat, it works best on a mobile).

Doing this I got full package with multi room and Netflix top package with UHD for £47 a month. 
  • TigXCTigXC Forumite
    12 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Epic fail....

Our current (soon to end) Sky package is just a basic one of

Sky Signature @ £18.00
    Multiscreen @ £9.50
    & Superfast (yes really - just 36Mbps) @ £28.00 including the usual landline, talk shield and pay as you use calls.

So was in total £55.50.  Not the best but bearable.

Now as our current contract ends in four weeks time I received a very vague email from them claiming how much I was soon to be saving on the next 18 months (no actual monthly price shown) so I look in on my online account to see future bills would be rising to a total of £62.00. Nice (?) no actual real saving TBH but hey-ho.

And so I contacted them via the online chat Pop-Up getting through eventually to one of their advisors who after doing the usual dance .... (BTW we've been with Sky for the past 20 years - chopping and changing as you do, but with a big shake up of our account removing cinema, HD and moving over to Sky Q we're only showing on their system as being with them for four years ... how does that work eh?)  ... for this advisor to come back quite quickly with the following:-

Sky Signature @ £21.00
    Multiscreen @ £12.00
    & Superfast Broadband @ £23.00    = £56.00 a month  (I guess a bit better than the £62.00 as listed on my Future Bill but still an increase never the less!)   Oh.....

& Plus an Admin fee of £20.00

Well, doing as everyone on here suggests ... I tried to haggle, being as polite as possible. Pointing out offers from other suppliers etc and BAM ... this advisor who was obviously having a bad day just kept shutting me down telling me how lucky I was to not only be receiving the DEAL that he was offering me but spent more and more time trying to put down the offerings of their rivals!

After a while and realizing I was getting nowhere fast, I then suggested that if he could reduce the multiscreen cost at least due to the fact I've already paid for the little box several times over with my previous subscription ... nothing!

I then asked if the could match my previous Sky Signature price - I'd happily stay. But NO ... again nothing. The prices he'd quoted where the best he could offer and (again) I should be pleased to have received them!

Lastly I bought up the Admin Fee of £20. A fee for basically nothing, a charge for simply allowing me to keep things going with no change at all and again... nothing. The fee is fixed by his system and has to be paid. Like it or not.

So with this I simply gave up and said I'd like to continue with my 31 Day notice period and he was like a dog with two tails and before I could type another word he'd sent me line after line of their standard cancellation spiel finishing off with how much I'd be charged if I did not return their equipment!

NICE!

Moving on....

My online account is showing nothing in the offers section ... I've just had three generic emails confirming my cancellation - all containing that heart felt sentence ''we're sorry to see you leave us'' [NOT]. And I'll soon be without home broadband or TV!

So what next?

[Oh, BTW we do also have Sky Mobiles - both out of contract now with just the basic SIM package so calls and simple internet will still be available within our 2GB a month plan]

Any thoughts on what to do next? Was I too greedy or unappreciative to not accept their £56 offer for the three services I get?

And sorry for the long post [being bed-bound & disabled has it's downside]

Tig

1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭

That didn't take long.  Got a phonecall tonight.

My current package is

Signature
    HD
    UHD
    Movies
    Sport
    Kids
    Netflix Ultimate

I was paying £56 they wanted £78 at end of current contract.

After call my new price for next 18 months is £50 for exact same package.  I am happy with that.  I know I probably could have held off for a slightly lower price.  There was a £20 service charge mentioned which was reduced to £10 on asking.

Pleasant member of staff.
  • LondonjoeLondonjoe Forumite
    9 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hey there, just need some advice on the best strategy to use to get a better deal on my existing broadband and tv package.

I phoned Sky yesterday and spoke to someone in retentions. Unfortunately, the discount offered was not great and so decided to play the 'cancel' tactic. They advised that i should not cancel broadband as i'd be left without a service for two weeks and that i should instead ask my new provider to take it over. I was tempted to cancel both but just cancelled the TV package. Is this the best tactic or should i have cancelled both?

1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Londonjoe said:
    Hey there, just need some advice on the best strategy to use to get a better deal on my existing broadband and tv package.

I phoned Sky yesterday and spoke to someone in retentions. Unfortunately, the discount offered was not great and so decided to play the 'cancel' tactic. They advised that i should not cancel broadband as i'd be left without a service for two weeks and that i should instead ask my new provider to take it over. I was tempted to cancel both but just cancelled the TV package. Is this the best tactic or should i have cancelled both?

I would say you did the best for your current situation.  When they get in contact then highlight its too expensive but your happy with the service etc.  Let them know you are going to move broadband provider as well and they should come up with package for both broadband and TV
  • julianlandeaujulianlandeau Forumite
    4 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi I've just gone through the usual cancellation. just been offered;

sky signature-£18
    Sky ultimate TV bundle -£6
    kids-£1
    HD -£3
    Complete sports-£6
    cinema-£11
    Multiscreen-10
    UHD free with the multiscreen.
    £55 /month total.
    18months £10admin fee

what do you think? is there a bit more available?
  • J292J292 Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    For anyone's contract expiring in the next month or so might be worth holding out for black friday deals in november sky tend to release them early