Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

in Phones & TV
4.4K replies 825.5K views

Replies

• edited 24 October at 8:07PM
    Birdman2015Birdman2015 Forumite
    184 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    edited 24 October at 8:07PM
    Went on chat to look for a better deal today, was offered the figures below.

Sky Signature at £19
    Sky Ultimate TV bundle at £6 
    HD at £3
    UHD at £0
    Sky Q Multiscreen at £15.     Total - £43

Made it clear politely I was wanting to hammer down costs and it was too much so cancelled. Before the discounts started to taper off we were paying £36.50.

What should I be looking at for this package? Am I being greedy?
  • dankargodankargo Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Our Sky+HD box was no longer recording shows and pause/rewind not working so I called Sky today and as expected was told they don’t stock those boxes anymore so would need Sky Q.  After holding off for a good few years I caved in and accepted.    Sadly didn’t get an amazing deal from them but did manage to persuade them to waive the £99 setup fee that they wanted to charge me.   

We have very flaky Freeview signal where we are and even with a roof aerial are unable to get all the channels available.  So I requested two mini boxes, the first of which I was told would be included for free.

The new package price is £69 for Sky Signature, HD, Multiroom as well as Sky Fibre Max and Sky Talk.    I probably could have got this cheaper if I went down the cancellation route I’m sure but i’m not sure I could risk possibly being cut off, especially as I’m still working from home so extremely reliant on internet access.   The green cabinet serving our village is also at maximum capacity i’ve been told so would hate to lose my slot. 
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    dankargo said:

The new package price is £69 for Sky Signature, HD, Multiroom as well as Sky Fibre Max and Sky Talk.    I probably could have got this cheaper if I went down the cancellation route I’m sure but i’m not sure I could risk possibly being cut off, especially as I’m still working from home so extremely reliant on internet access.   The green cabinet serving our village is also at maximum capacity i’ve been told so would hate to lose my slot. 
    Too late now, but it is always better to separate TV package from b/band deal when cancelling. The restoration of the TV part is literally a "flick of a switch" (and maybe a new box) whereas ,as you have said, cancelling the b/band risks a period of days if not weeks without access.
    Furthermore there are still plenty of working HD boxes around for sale from owners who have upgraded to Q and AFAIA you can pair a new box up with your viewing card online. I have a spare box already sitting on a shelf, in case my HD box goes kaput whilst I'm in my discounted period.
  • Angelica_2Angelica_2 Forumite
    58 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Rang cancellations last night I was paying £47 per month for Entertainment, HD, Sports and Cinema it increased to £65. The best they could offer me was £53. I went ahead and cancelled am I likely to get a better offer?
  • dinglebertdinglebert Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Rang cancellations last night I was paying £47 per month for Entertainment, HD, Sports and Cinema it increased to £65. The best they could offer me was £53. I went ahead and cancelled am I likely to get a better offer?

Yes.  They should phone on the pretence they want to know how the cancellation process was for you.   That will be the person who has access to better deals.  They will move on the £20 reconnection charge as well.
  • mits999mits999 Forumite
    93 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    For your package you should be able to get them down to approx £30 to £35 when they call you back
  • Mwood1Mwood1 Forumite
    102 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    What is the lowest price being achieved for Entertainment package and sports? I currently have Ent @ £14pcm, am looking to add Sports.
  • moneysense123moneysense123 Forumite
    95 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi guys the time has come to haggle again could I ask at the moment what the best way to do it- phone or on chat. As usual our bill is due to fly up as at the end of a 2 year deal. If by phone is there a good number so I can avoid the general sale people? Many thanks 
  • edited 1 November at 4:03PM
    Birdman2015Birdman2015 Forumite
    184 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    edited 1 November at 4:03PM
    Gave my notice last weekend ahead of my contract end of 6th December. Received. A text today inviting me to call them or chat via the link to “ consider my options”. I’ll wait for a while I think.
  • J292J292 Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    Let my sky fully cancel then got back in touch with the winback team today via the text messaging service while at work and negotiated the following...

Signature £18
    HD £3
    Cinema £11
    Sports £8
    Multiscreen £7

Total for 18 months £47 a month

Could of maybe done a little bit better on the signature and maybe got HD for free but happy enough with that tried to haggle on a broadband deal but they were having none of it