Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

in Phones & TV
4.5K replies 841K views

Replies

• I hope reading the comments here are right.... or my partner is going to kill me.

They upped my package broadband + Sky UHD, Sports, Netflix & Box Sets which I paid £64.50 for 18months... £115 was the best, after speaking to retentions the best they did was remove the £20 admin fee.... ridiculous.

They've half called my bluff and I've cancelled, I heard about people receiving offers within 5 minutes in their account but nothing yet.. eeeeek! 

Also, do you refuse the first offer & how do they usually contact?  I cancelled via live chat.
  • AmdelottiAmdelotti Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    So after reading some of the comments here I ended up speaking to Sky about my parents bill. They had been with Sky (on and off) for over 15+ years and had Sky UHD, HD and Sports HD, Signature, Cinema and Multiscreen. It was getting time to renew and up till that point they had been paying nearly £70p/m - I think cheapest they paid before that increase or the start of their 18-month contract was £58-60p/m. 

Sky was quoting something like £68p/m being the best offer they could do even though we had been with Sky for so long. I don't know how many sales people I was put through to but after 5 or 6 calls that day I was eventually put through to the PACT team (Pre-Authorization Cancellation Team I think it stands for - this is the team before retentions) and they added every 'code' under the sun for each package which dropped the bill to £45p/m (Signature - £13 , UHD - Free, HD - Free, Cinema - £6 , multiscreen - £8, Sports - £18) for all the above - could have pushed harder for Netflix for an additional £3. It's definitely possible guys so I'm hoping this post can also help others. 

I also am moving into a new build and needed a broadband & TV package. There's a Black Friday deal at the moment where you can get superfast broadband , Signature AND HD for £31p/m however you'll specifically need to ask for that deal as I got put through to a team that adds-on packages to existing plans (maybe the add-on team hahaha) and was told customers would need to ask for that deal rather than expect to be told by sales people that it was available. So now I also have that package! 
  • thebazboxthebazbox Forumite
    6 Posts
    First Post
    Do sky still offer a package where you can keep the sky q box for recording freeview channels?
  • Hammer_TimeHammer_Time Forumite
    400 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yes they do, it's £15 per month. I believe for £18 you can get signature (easy to get without cancelling in full),  that only £3 per month more.
  • collinscacollinsca Forumite
    98 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi.

The table below shows what i am paying. It is too much in my opinion and after about 3 phone calls i havent been able to budge them.. so i plan to write a letter...

Would appreciate people saying where there prices are better for each row... (and then i will ask for that in my letter!)

Sky Broadband Essential    23

Sky Signature                      18

Ultimate TV Add on               6
    Sky Sports -complete pack  17
    Sky Sports HD                      2
    Sky HD                                 3
    UHD                                      2

Note: I am limited to Broadband Essential due to where i live and so negotiating better is not an option.

Im not due to renew until 2023; so they've got me a litlte bit...

Thoughts appreciated.

• LambyrLambyr Forumite
    433 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    collinsca said:
    Hi.

The table below shows what i am paying. It is too much in my opinion and after about 3 phone calls i havent been able to budge them.. so i plan to write a letter...

Would appreciate people saying where there prices are better for each row... (and then i will ask for that in my letter!)

Note: I am limited to Broadband Essential due to where i live and so negotiating better is not an option.

Thoughts appreciated.

Was that a typo and did you mean to say you're contracted until 2022? Because if you're contracted until 2023 then you're stuck.

Tbh, they're not going to budge on anything until you're in the last month of your current contract period. Your best bet is waiting until you're about six weeks away from your contracted period ending and checking back. Sky retention deals aren't permanent and change every so often, so a deal someone gets today might not be available in March/April next year.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • collinscacollinsca Forumite
    98 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Lambyr said:
    collinsca said:
    Hi.

Thoughts appreciated.

Was that a typo and did you mean to say you're contracted until 2022? Because if you're contracted until 2023 then you're stuck.

Tbh, they're not going to budge on anything until you're in the last month of your current contract period. Your best bet is waiting until you're about six weeks away from your contracted period ending and checking back. Sky retention deals aren't permanent and change every so often, so a deal someone gets today might not be available in March/April next year.
    fair point! nah 2023
  • dessmithdessmith Forumite
    4 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Been with Sky for years VIP Diamond etc, we're moving home in a week or so and special offers contract ended about a few months ago - I should have sorted out Sky months ago but there we go.

I called up and last week, ended up speaking with home moves, then with the "Value Team" best they offered us is:

Signature 21
    Netflix 5 (we don't need this)
    HD 3
    Superfast BB 17
    Sky Q (were were still on Sky+!) free installation, no admin fee.

Total as £46

I accepted this with installation happening end of this coming week.

Since then, we've had Black Friday and I've been looking around more and thinking this isn't such a great deal. 
    My plan is to call up, cancel and wait for their winback team to give us something better.

Any thoughts on what this package should be offered at?
    Also there is 31 days cooling off on that deal above so I'm assuming it's fine to call up, cancel and expect them to send offers after it's cancelled. I should note we're happy to be without TV / Broadband as we move etc.

• Liam2594Liam2594 Forumite
    11 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've cancelled this year. TV has gone up from £29 for, signature, HD, Kids & cinema. They're putting it up to £45 as of next month, best they've offered me was, £34.50. That was via the live chat and a phone call. Prices were:

Signature: £22
    Kids: £2.50
    HD: £4
    Cinema: £6

Plus a £20 admin fee for accepting their offer. Poor show this year from Sky to be honest, did want their ultrafast broadband too, but with the TV offers I'll just let it cancel this year and go with Freeview for a while. May even consider BT TV.
  • iabw12iabw12 Forumite
    102 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I cancelled two days ago, and today received the following by text
    Signature - £14
    HD - £3
    for 18 months. Which I've taken as I think £17 per month is a good deal. Plus I can carry on with my cinema offer (6 months at £5 with no new contract, so that will see me through until April)