Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.3K replies 812.4K views

Replies

• andyfxandyfx Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    paulst78 said:
    andyfx said:
    Looks like the best they will offer me is £49 for the same package I was previously paying £44 for!
    My services have been cancelled for 2 days now. I guess this is the best they will offer me?
    Do you have broadband with sky? 
    No, my broadband is with BT as I have an amazing old staff plan with them. 
  • mits999mits999 Forumite
    82 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    andyfx said:
    Looks like the best they will offer me is £49 for the same package I was previously paying £44 for!
    My services have been cancelled for 2 days now. I guess this is the best they will offer me?
    Looks like sky playing hard ball with you 
  • Mondeoman72Mondeoman72 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Sky renewal due to go to £127 per month was enough to push me to complain, they reduced to their best price of £98 for sports/movies/netflix/multi room Hd etc I thought still too high so cancelled, about 8 days before end of notification period they messaged me with a better  offer, now paying £72 per month for the same package. BT came very close so worth using them as leverage
  • paulst78paulst78 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Sky renewal due to go to £127 per month was enough to push me to complain, they reduced to their best price of £98 for sports/movies/netflix/multi room Hd etc I thought still too high so cancelled, about 8 days before end of notification period they messaged me with a better  offer, now paying £72 per month for the same package. BT came very close so worth using them as leverage
    I hope that includes bt sports or broadband because if not it's still to high
  • edited 25 September at 2:46PM
    DolorDolor Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 September at 2:46PM
    paulst78 said:
    I had a billing complaint with Sky which they have finally resolved. During one of my many conversations with them over the past month, I was told that as I was on one of their legacy Sky Q offers, I was paying more than I needed to pay. We are on Sky Q Silver with multiscreen, HD and Sky F1 for £61.50 a month. When I tot up what Sky would charge me for Sky Ultimate; Sports to get F1; multi screen and UHD/HD, I get a subscription of £69 per month.

As I am out of contract, what target monthly cost should I be aiming for?  I am not sure that I want to play the cancellation card. We like Sky even with its arcane way of removing 31 day packages.
  • paulst78paulst78 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Dolor said:
    paulst78 said:
    I had a billing complaint with Sky which they have finally resolved. During one of my many conversations with them over the past month, I was told that as I was on one of their legacy Sky Q offers, I was paying more than I needed to pay. We are on Sky Q Silver with multiscreen, HD and Sky F1 for £61.50 a month. When I tot up what Sky would charge me for Sky Ultimate; Sports to get F1; multi screen and UHD/HD, I get a subscription of £69 per month.

As I am out of contract, what target monthly cost should I be aiming for?  I am not sure that I want to play the cancellation card. We like Sky even with its arcane way of removing 31 day packages.
    If you won't put your 31 days notice in you won't get any decent offers, they know you will pay whatever price they give you. 

I personally wouldn't pay more than £40-£45 a month for your package, during my cancellation period I was offered everything for £54 a month but turned it down, my sky was switched off for 48hrs before I agreed on £47 a month for everything. Everyone has a price they are willing to pay, some higher some lower but don't pay full whack ever. 
  • nickmacknickmack Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's my time again for the usual charade, so I put my cancellation notice in a couple of weeks ago, after their 'best' offer was to up my bill by £12/month:

Sky Sig £19
    Kids £1
    HD £3
    Sky Sport Complete £19
    BT Sport £24

They sent me a text, so I went back on chat today.  I told them I'm not paying for HD, as pretty much every programme has been filmed in at least HD for the last decade and this is just an Admin charge, poorly disguised as an HD fee.  They told me they can't drop this cost.  I said, I'll pay the £3 for UHD, but they replied, it would be another £2 extra for this and I would need a new Sky Q box for UHD, which would be £99 delivery.  For that price, I'd want it delivered by the Queen, even the advisor agreed, they would not pay this.  

On top of this, of course they tried to charge the £20 'admin fee' for the pleasure of me renewing, which they did actually offer to credit.  Their verbiage for this was, without the admin fee, they can only offer 10 months discount, instead of 12, which is obviously absolute rubbish, as Sky have full control over the prices and discounts they offer.

I feel sorry for these Sky Advisors, it must be embarrassing trying to justify people to pay for HD, ridiculous delivery costs and admin fees for your 15 years loyalty.

I get that part of their business model is to cream off the lazy or unwitting, who pay full price with no discount, however, to try and persist with some of these add-on charges is bordering on the insulting.
  • JMAC96587JMAC96587 Forumite
    6 Posts
    First Post
    sky due to turn off in 5 days so I tried live chat today as hadn't heard from then since last attempt about 10 days ago and they offered a worse price about 5 pound more pm this time from the last offer and a 20 pound admin fee!! just shambles. will try a call before it turns off to actual speak to a human but its just stupid. 
  • edited 30 September at 3:36PM
    Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September at 3:36PM
    Our 30 day notice period was due to expire today, just contacted Sky today and got the Sky Signature package with a Sky Q 1TB box (we did have a Sky+ box) for £16 pcm on an 18 month contract, they wanted to charge a £10 admin fee but they waived that with a bit of a push. Prior to giving notice we were paying £23 pcm so a saving of £7 a month, I'm happy with that.  I hope this helps someone else.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 30 day notice period was due to expire today, just contacted Sky today and got the Sky Signature package with a Sky Q 1TB box (we did have a Sky+ box) for £16 pcm on an 18 month contract, they wanted to charge a £10 admin fee but they waived that with a bit of a push. Prior to giving notice we were paying £23 pcm so a saving of £7 a month, I'm happy with that.  I hope this helps someone else.
    Sky chat, phone? retentions?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP