Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.3K replies 807.2K views

Replies

• TheBeeManTheBeeMan Forumite
    15 Posts
    10 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary
    TheBeeMan said:
    Afternoon all, hope you're all keeping safe and well.

I'd appreciate your help wth this as it's all getting a bit stressful for me with my PTSD & Anxiety issues.

Currently with Sky for my TV services and my payment breakdown for the past 18 moths is as follows:
    Sky Entertainment £13 per month
    Sky Sports Complete £17 per month
    Sky Sports HD £2 per month
    Sky HD £0 per month
    Sky Box Sets £0 per month
    Sky Go Extra £0 per month
    Total of £34.00 per month including price incease from April

Just been on the phone to Sky to tell them "I wish to cancel" and have gone through all the options to keep me as a customer.

Sky have offered me the following breakdown:
    Sky Signature £21 per month
    Sky Sports £20 per month
    Sky HD £6 per month
    + Sky UHD £7 per month (I've Upgraded my TV to a 4K TV suporting UHD so asked for the extra UHD package)
    + a £25 one off payment for the Sky Q UHD Box
    Total £51 per month and Sky CAN'T/WON'T do any better than this price.

What would you guys do as it's costing me £17 more per month to just have UHD.
    Or without UHD it's still costing me £13 more each month to stay with the same package I've had for the past 18 months.
    No Cheaper and they can't even match my price I've been paying.

What would you guys do?

As always your help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Afternoon all.
    The above shows what I was paying and after canceling my services and today I received the call from Sky for a "Win Back".
    Heres what I've been offered:
    Sky Signature £16, Usually In Contract £26 or Out of Contract £31
    Sky Sporks Complete £16, Usually £27
    Standard Hd £3, Usually £7
    Total £35. Only £1 more per month than I was paying for the Past 18 months andI did have very good prices.
    I then aksed about the Following add on's:
    Multi-room £7, Usually £15
    Ultra HD £2, Usually £4
    Sky Q Ultra HD 1TB Box £25 one off payment, Usually £99 one off payment
    Admin Fee £20 (But with £10 Credit applied to my bill, so only £10 Admin Fee.
    So I decided to accept the Add on's making a grand total of £44 Per month for all the above.
    Would usually cost £79 per month.
    Total saving of £35 per month for the next 18 months = £630 saving over 18 months and better in my pocket than in Sky's (Happy Days)

However after accepting, Sky couldn't process the order due to the Sky Computer system not allowing it. Referral sent to the IT department for authorisation and should hear back in 72 hours or so when they call back.
    When I receive the call back from Sky I will try to push for more of a discount using the inconvenience of not being able to process the order when they called to offer the above. If you don't ask you dont get.

My advice is:
    If you dont get the offer/price you want when first contacting Sky to negotiate renewal, CANCEL YOUR SERVICES!!!
    Don't hesitate in canceling as this action gives you the control when nbegotiating a new deal.
    You will still have to give Sky 31 days notice to cancel your TV services and during that period you have time to shop around for a better deal or wait as I did to recieve the "WIN BACK" Call from Sky to try to keep you as a customer.
    Knowledge is power people and make sure you've done you homework in finding the best deals using all the special offers there are on so many websites inlcuding offers that others have received by clicking back to previous pages of the Retention Deals on this site.

Good luck to all that try to haggle a better deal and if you're not happy, CANCEL!! Call there bluff and see what you get, worst case you have 31 days to change you mind and stay with Sky if you choose to. Either way you can't lose.

Best of luck you all :)

• ccdorsetccdorset Forumite
    184 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Hi,

I seem to have fallen into the trap of agreeing to an 18 month contract, but with discounts ending in 12 months. 

I was paying £44.85:

Signature £17.85

Ultimate TV Add On £5

Sky Cinema £8

HD £4.50

Multiscreen £9.50

Ultra HD Free

However the discounts on Cinema, HD and part of the Signature discount are coming to an end next month. The contract for Signature and Multiscreen run until January 2022.

I’ve given the 31 days notice on Cinema as that was going up to £19 per month.

The new price without Cinema from August will be £46.35:

Signature £24.85

Ultimate TV Add On £5

HD £7

Multiscreen £9.50

Ultra HD Free

Not sure what to do, as I’m thinking of cancelling altogether come January so don’t want to get tied into another 18 month contract from now.

• mits999mits999 Forumite
    81 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    ccdorset said:

Hi,

I seem to have fallen into the trap of agreeing to an 18 month contract, but with discounts ending in 12 months. 

I was paying £44.85:

Signature £17.85

Ultimate TV Add On £5

Sky Cinema £8

HD £4.50

Multiscreen £9.50

Ultra HD Free

However the discounts on Cinema, HD and part of the Signature discount are coming to an end next month. The contract for Signature and Multiscreen run until January 2022.

I’ve given the 31 days notice on Cinema as that was going up to £19 per month.

The new price without Cinema from August will be £46.35:

Signature £24.85

Ultimate TV Add On £5

HD £7

Multiscreen £9.50

Ultra HD Free

Not sure what to do, as I’m thinking of cancelling altogether come January so don’t want to get tied into another 18 month contract from now.

You should always make sure before agreeing to any deal that all discounts end at the same time
  • Bakey72Bakey72 Forumite
    16 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    ccdorset said:

Hi,

Did you realise at the time of taking the contract this was the case? The reason I ask is that I was tied in on a contract I was happy with until this August but phoned Sky in January to ask about options for adding uhd as I had Entertainment not Signature and wanted all my packages to end at the same time. Sky representative told me he could renew what I then had for same price for another 18 months, changing Entertainment to Signature so I could add UHD. Everything seemed fine and future billing showed ok (Skys emails regarding new contracts never make sense so I always check this). Then a few weeks ago I noticed future bills were going up, I phoned to be told the full discount was only for 6 months, Cinema and Sports hadn’t been extended so all my packages were ending at different times. They said they would listen to the phone call from January as this was definitely not what I was told on the phone and get back to me, I also backed this up by emailing them outlining everything. Sky emailed me back a complaint reference and phoned me to sort, they were really helpful and in the end I got a new 18 month contract for everything at less than I originally was expecting and a months free credit for the inconvenience. 
  • ccdorsetccdorset Forumite
    184 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Bakey72 said:
    ccdorset said:

Hi,

Did you realise at the time of taking the contract this was the case? The reason I ask is that I was tied in on a contract I was happy with until this August but phoned Sky in January to ask about options for adding uhd as I had Entertainment not Signature and wanted all my packages to end at the same time. Sky representative told me he could renew what I then had for same price for another 18 months, changing Entertainment to Signature so I could add UHD. Everything seemed fine and future billing showed ok (Skys emails regarding new contracts never make sense so I always check this). Then a few weeks ago I noticed future bills were going up, I phoned to be told the full discount was only for 6 months, Cinema and Sports hadn’t been extended so all my packages were ending at different times. They said they would listen to the phone call from January as this was definitely not what I was told on the phone and get back to me, I also backed this up by emailing them outlining everything. Sky emailed me back a complaint reference and phoned me to sort, they were really helpful and in the end I got a new 18 month contract for everything at less than I originally was expecting and a months free credit for the inconvenience. 
    Tbh I really can't remember and I'm kicking myself as I'm usually on top of all these kind of things! I'm going to have a look at the original emails though and see if I can find anything in there. 

Thanks for replying with the info, looks like you got a decent result out of them in the end!
  • Bakey72Bakey72 Forumite
    16 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary

ccdorset said:
    Tbh I really can't remember and I'm kicking myself as I'm usually on top of all these kind of things! I'm going to have a look at the original emails though and see if I can find anything in there. 

Thanks for replying with the info, looks like you got a decent result out of them in the end
    Whatever the email says I think it's worth phoning them. They always listen to the phone call for when you arranged the contract and come back to you, at worse it will stay as it is. In my case I definitely remember reading out all the packages, saying these would be extended for 18 months at current price and he said yes. Looking at my email now though from January it does have 2 different discount rates but as the total was right I didn't question, also only Signature was shown but again I've never had a Sky contract email that is clear and shows everything but never had issues before. 
  • JonnyCWTJonnyCWT Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The best I could get:
    so here is the offer for the tv side:

Sky Signature at £16 a month (that's a £15 discount with an 18-month contract)
    HD at £5 (that's a £2 discount)
    Complete Sports at £21 (that's a £11 discount with an 18-month contract)
    This brings your total to £42 a month
    Offers will start today and a one-off admin fee of £20 will be added to your next bill.

I told them it was too high, when adding it with broadband £28 per month

I previously paid £64, and the best they can offer is £74, 15% price increase for less stuff. 
    That's a no for me. 
    So going to cancel and see. 

• 12341234 Forumite
    101 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Previously had 

Entertainment
    Kids
    box sets
    Cinema
    HD

for £27 per month but due to some mess up by sky I had it at £21. 

Contacted them today and the offered following for £32 per month
    Sky Signature £16 ( Normally £31. This is Sky Entertainment and Sky Box Sets together)
    HD Pack £5 ( Normally £7)
    Kids Pack £3 ( Normally £5)
    Cinema £8 ( Normally £19)

UHD free for 2 months and then + £4 if I decide to keep it totalling £36 per month.

Don’t think I’ll get better than this.
  • JonnyCWTJonnyCWT Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Some success to a certain extent:

Previously:
    Sky entertainment: £12
    Sky Sports: £13
    Sky Sports HD £2
    Sky HD £3
    Sky Q (+Multiscreen + UHD) £7
    Total: £37

Now (post cancellation through the links posted here):
    Sky Signature: £18
    Sky Sports: £14
    HD: £3
    UHD: £2
    Total: £37

Only thing I lose is Multiroom. But there's not an issue. 

What I am wondering is this Sky Go Extra, which isn't offered. It's not a deal breaker really. 

• Joe9090Joe9090 Forumite
    162 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary

What I am wondering is this Sky Go Extra, which isn't offered. It's not a deal breaker really. 

When I stopped Multiroom I lost Sky Go Extra but they then saw I was with Sky Mobile so they gave it me back for free. Trouble is you have to have Multiroom to access downloads from your box!

I contacted them to query this and they admitted there are two versions of Sky Go Extra, one with Multiroom and one with Sky Mobile. I am still trying to get my head around it!