We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Have you had any notice of a price increase?? Last year the increase was effective from April.

When I negotiated my latest deal - I was told that Sky was increasing its prices in February - but after that I was offered a fixed deal (no increase for 18 months) - but they have (by law) to give 1 months notice of any rises (although this was questioned last year) - "OUT OF CONTRACT" sky customers had a £2.50 rise last April - so this is probably going to be repeated this year (ie at least £2.50)
  • scottishpunter
    Options
    E30M3 wrote: »
    great to hear :)
    screenshot this deal!
    I accepted it but then received no confirmation so phoned the following day, after a good half an hour with the kind lady and her manager who were trying all sorts of things they managed to sort it out.
    Note mine was also for a 12 month contract, not 18. Although I'm now on an 18 month one as i'm happy to lock in those prices and not do it again for a while...

Hi,

Just an update - so I went to /mydeal and checked out (I think someone had queried that you could not do anything from /mydeal) and after three days my account was changed to the new prices. But Sky Sports was added at £15 plus £6 for Sports HD so £21 not the £17 quoted. Luckily I had taken your advice and screenshot the deal, after a try through chat to get it corrected I had to send an email through complaints to get it fixed and they have removed the £6 charge, so now getting Sports for £15!:j

It was then just a quick chat to get the Sky Q multibox reactivated for the £12 (website was charging full install).

So now have :-
    Entertainment £15
    Full Sports £15
    HD £1
    Multiscreen £12
    Fibre Unlimited £11.01
    Line Rental £8.99

Total £63

I have looked as far out as my May bill and no price rise in there as yet
  • MM2002
    MM2002 Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, Here is what i'm paying. Am out of contract, but still getting some hefty discounts.

Question is, could i be getting better???

For TV, ive got box sets, HD and multiscreen at £31.75 (No sports or movies)
    im paying £33.39 for Broadband and Talk

My setup at home is 2 boxes(HD) both split to show on 2 tv's each so not interested in Q as you cant split the signal(so i'm led to believe)

What Dya say peeps? could I be getting a better deal?

Thanks in advance
    MM
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    so I went to /mydeal and checked out (I think someone had queried that you could not do anything from /mydeal) and after three days my account was changed to the new prices.
    Excellent ;-)
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    MM2002 wrote: »
    Ok, Here is what i'm paying. Am out of contract, but still getting some hefty discounts.

My setup at home is 2 boxes(HD) both split to show on 2 tv's each so not interested in Q as you cant split the signal(so i'm led to believe)

Thanks in advance
    MM
    In theory you could get Entertainment pack for £15 and HD for £1.
    If your box is split then you're not paying for mutiroom?
    You could add in Q for £12 a month to give you full HD and all the other benefits bringing your total up to £28...
  • scottishpunter
    Options

Thanks in advance
    MM

As regards splitting the signal, this is not entirely true. Sky Q boxes and multiboxes have hdmi output but you can buy hdmi splitter and an hdmi over Cat5 extender. So you have a splitter at the Q box to give you two hdmi outputs then run a computer cat 5 cable to the other tv and use the extender.

A more expensive method than coaxial cable but far superior HD quality, or if you buy a more expensive extender 4K quality.
  • MM2002
    Options
    I have 2 boxes, both split so 4 TVs in total(coax splitter so no had on splits)
    Would like to get hd on split tvs though!
  • Neo08
    Neo08 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    So thats £41 for the whole package - does the letter mention FIXED PRICE for 12 months ?
    If not - then it will definitely increase in February (7-10% expected)

The only thing I can see is in the small print and it says 'Prices may go up during the minimum term', so i'm assuming that they'll go up like they do every year.

It also mentions that if you accept the offer online (sky.com/keepskytv, not on the phone or via livechat), then the £10 admin fee is waived.
  • scottishpunter
    scottishpunter Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2019 at 4:44PM
    Options
    I have 2 boxes, both split so 4 TVs in total(coax splitter so no had on splits)
    Would like to get hd on split tvs though!

I would recommend Neet equipment, good quality and customer support. An extender is £24.99 at Amazon, or £29.99 with IR support (bluetooth Q remote work may work depending on distace and walls) a Neet splitter about the same. So you could get Sky Q main box, Sky Q multiroom box then add the splitter and extender for about £50 each for the other 2 rooms.

You could set up the cat 6 cable and splitters and test them on your HD boxes if it works great go ahead with Q, if not send them back to Amazon.

PS these don't work over the network via power sockets you have to run physically run the cat 5 cable between the 2 sets.
  • MM2002
    Options
    Looks good, but the coax splits are long! Don’t fancy running cat6 cable all round, the extension tv’s are for the kitchen and a bedroom so although hd would be nice it’s not essential.
    How would you say the price I’m paying is looking though? Should I start pushing for a new deal?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure