Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    since it does not allow the use of a cable connected magic eye second TV (In the bedroom) but charges an extra £12 for a wireless device to do exactly the same thing
    As I've already explained, it does not do "exactly the same thing" though.

A "magic eye" device could only provide a standard definition duplicate broadcast of the same channel being viewed on the Sky decoder in your lounge. The "Sky Q experience " is more akin to Sky Multi-room (which also costs £12 extra a month), with up to four miniboxes providing entirely separate channels in HD as well as On Demand material never available at all via magic eye.

Personally, I currently have no need for Sky Q because I already have Sky Multi-room with 2tb Sky+HD decoders in each room with both connected via Home Plugs to the Internet. "Upgrading" to Sky Q would cost me nothing extra, but would not provide me with any significant extra functionality..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Most of the offers I've seen for Sky Q involve paying for the extra box for 18 months.

Is there an offer that doesn't involve the extra box?
    Probably not, but I'm struggling to see anything attractive about having a single Sky Q decoder over a Sky+HD to be honest.
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    O
    How many times have you honestly needed to record more than 2 channels at the same time ?
    Have you never heard of "catchup" facility ?
    The extra cost doesn't justify Q

Loads actually - which is why I'd like Sky Q. I forget to download via catchup.

Listen I'm sure lots of posters on here get 'you' don't like Sky, but lots of others do. Don't go telling me what cost is justified and what isn't, that is for me to decide.
    1234 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Managed to bag

Entertainment £15
    Movies £9
    HD £1
    Kids £1
    Boxsets £1

Via win back team.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Most of the offers I've seen for Sky Q involve paying for the extra box for 18 months.

Is there an offer that doesn't involve the extra box?

New customers aren't charged it by default for starters, I think when it launched they included it but you could remove it (online at least) and pay more as a one off.

I was thinking more about existing customers though who enquire about upgrading to Q where you'll normally be quoted £12 a month extra, if you tell them you don't want to pay the £12 they'll try and insist that you pay a one off fee instead. This simply isn't true, a bit of haggling will remove it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Loads actually - which is why I'd like Sky Q. I forget to download via catchup.

Listen I'm sure lots of posters on here get 'you' don't like Sky, but lots of others do. Don't go telling me what cost is justified and what isn't, that is for me to decide.

@50Twuncle hates Sky so much that they've just signed up for another 18 months with them.
    Probably not, but I'm struggling to see anything attractive about having a single Sky Q decoder over a Sky+HD to be honest.

We got Q to make life easier for the wife, she frequently records 2 channels while watching a 3rd as not everything by a long shot is available on catch-up.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As I've already explained, it does not do "exactly the same thing" though.

A "magic eye" device could only provide a standard definition duplicate broadcast of the same channel being viewed on the Sky decoder in your lounge. The "Sky Q experience " is more akin to Sky Multi-room (which also costs £12 extra a month), with up to four miniboxes providing entirely separate channels in HD as well as On Demand material never available at all via magic eye.

Personally, I currently have no need for Sky Q because I already have Sky Multi-room with 2tb Sky+HD decoders in each room with both connected via Home Plugs to the Internet. "Upgrading" to Sky Q would cost me nothing extra, but would not provide me with any significant extra functionality..

This leads me to the biggest question of the lot
    Is HD worth it ?
    Maybe - if you had a 50-60" screen - but, with a decent quality screen in the first place - I bet most viewers could not tell the difference (without a side by side comparison) between SD and HD - on a 32" screen ?
  • NJW77
    Options
    My Sky deal is expiring in 4 weeks and I received an email telling me that as a valued customer I would be receiving money off my broadband and line rental.
    I currently have Sky sports, HD and entertainment which meant my new total cost would be £92!
    Considering I was paying around £80 surprisingly I wasn’t keen.
    So I called them armed with the knowledge of MSE comparison site, with Now TV my benchmark price.
    The first offer I received for the same package was 70, which I rejected, this operator told me I couldn’t pay £10 per month to keep the sky + box if I cancelled, I knew this was a lie. I was then put through to retentions where I was then offered the price of £65, which I again then rejected.
    So I told them to cancel the TV package.
    I had resigned myself to losing Sky Sports anyway and knew I could get the Entertainment package via Now TV for £7.99 compared to the £23 Sky wanted.
    The retentions operator then said I could pay £10 to use the Sky + box on its own contradicting the previous operator!
    So I finally negotiated £14 for broadband and £10 for my sky box.
    When I add the Entertainment package via Now TV my total payment will be £31.99 for broadband, Sky Box function and Entertainment which I am very happy with and a saving of around £50 per month but without Sport.
    But luckily I can watch the sport via a family members Sky Go account on my iPad!
  • darrenj
    darrenj Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anybody have any advice on getting a sky q box with a 2nd box. I currently have a retention deal for £42 for all the tv packages; but they are quoting £80 a month if I upgrade to Sky q!! Rather than just adding £12 a month - as the discounts are not compatible?

This was retentions rather than just a general call though.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I was thinking more about existing customers though who enquire about upgrading to Q where you'll normally be quoted £12 a month extra, if you tell them you don't want to pay the £12 they'll try and insist that you pay a one off fee instead. This simply isn't true, a bit of haggling will remove it.

It was really existing customers I was thinking about.

My own discount deal ends early April. I'll see at that point if there are any deals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback