We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 January 2019 at 10:16AM
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I bet most viewers could not tell the difference
    I can certainly tell the difference, I know immediately if a standard definition channel has been selected. I actually can't bear watching anything in SD on a modern flat panel screen of any dimension.

The difference is night and day..
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably not, but I'm struggling to see anything attractive about having a single Sky Q decoder over a Sky+HD to be honest.

I live in a flat with a single feed, so for people in the same situation as me the benefit of Sky Q over Sky+HD is that I would be able to record 3 shows and watch a 4th on Sky Q, whereas with Sky+HD the single feed only means I can record or watch 1 channel at a time.

I had issues getting Sky Q installed previously, but my management company have advised they are sorted and the communal system is now ready for Sky Q.

I've just accepted a deal of the following through Live Chat:

£15 Entertainment
    £1 HD
    £10 Ultimate On Demand
    Total £26 per month, with one of fee of £20

I have tried Freeview for a year with a Humax 5000T box and find the interface very clunky and slow compared to Sky. Yes I will be paying a premium partly for a nicer interface, but in my opinion for me it is worthwhile.

I was a little surprised at the first available install date, which is 2nd March for me, but Sky are advising me to keep checking MySky as cancellations come in and an earlier appointment may become available.
  • antuk
    antuk Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 January 2019 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Hi all,

After some advise, im currently on one of the legacy package that gives me free Sky F1 I dont really want to lose

So im paying £40.27 for
    Original (£15.27)
    Sky+HD (£13)
    Sky Q Multiscreen (£12)

Original is priced at £23.50 and I currently get 35% off, it used to be 50% but that expired a few months ago

Just tried retentions and they couldnt offer me anything that didnt involve moving onto a new package and losing Sky F1.

Has anyone had any joy haggling a deal that didnt involve moving to a new contract?

What would be a good price for the above?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    antuk wrote: »
    After some advise, im currently on one of the legacy package that gives me free Sky F1 I dont really want to lose

So im paying £40.27 for
    Original (£15.27)
    Sky+HD (£13)
    Sky Q Multiscreen (£12)

Original is priced at £23.50 and I currently get 35% off, it used to be 50% but that expired a few months ago

Just tried retentions and they couldnt offer me anything that didnt involve moving onto a new package and losing Sky F1.

If you really need F1 and multiroom then I'd say £40.27 isn't a bad price.
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I can certainly tell the difference, I know immediately if a standard definition channel has been selected. I actually can't bear watching anything in SD on a modern flat panel screen of any dimension.

The difference is night and day..
    This ^^^

Some channels do seem to be more noticeable too, whether or not they are downgrading their SD service to make up for it who knows, but it makes a huge difference to both the picture quality, and the sound!
  • Neo08
    Neo08 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Received a letter through the post after handing in my notice of cancellation (around 10 days to go before cut off)

Offer of
    Entertainment £13
    Box Sets/Kids/HD £1 each
    Sports £17
    Movies £9

Beat anything the their website or settop box was offering

New 12 month contract on Sky+HD
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neo08 wrote: »
    Received a letter through the post after handing in my notice of cancellation (around 10 days to go before cut off)

Offer of
    Entertainment £13
    Box Sets/Kids/HD £1 each
    Sports £17
    Movies £9

So thats £41 for the whole package - does the letter mention FIXED PRICE for 12 months ?
    If not - then it will definitely increase in February (7-10% expected)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neo08 wrote: »

Offer of
    Entertainment £13
    Box Sets/Kids/HD £1 each
    Sports £17
    Movies £9

Better than I got last October by £1 :)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    So thats £41 for the whole package - does the letter mention FIXED PRICE for 12 months ?
    If not - then it will definitely increase in February (7-10% expected)

Have you had any notice of a price increase?? Last year the increase was effective from April.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Re: Sky Price Rise, I've been on the live chat tonight after a new deal (I got one :)) and the following line came up during the chat:
    So we have a few key facts and we have to legally advise prices may increase during your minimum term, however we have literally just put our prices up so that shouldnt affect you

I notice poking around on Sky's site as a new customer Entertainment at least has gone up by £2 a month for new customers (used to be £20, is still £25 out of contract) and and I see Sky Sports out of contract is being pushed at £30 a month (sure it used to be £27.50?) Cinema out of contract is still at £18.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure