We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• mrkjd
    mrkjd Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks but when I go thru "Left Sky" I get a "Cannot Process Your Order" screen. Ahh well - worth a try!
  • mrkjd
    mrkjd Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, I live chatted and got £15 a month for Ent +Box Sets +HD. Happy with that for TV then but going over to vodaphone for their Fibre BB @£22 rather than Sky's £34 which is more than £200 saving over 18 months. I wouldn't nickel & dime over a couple of quid but that saving is hard to ignore.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, will have a look at Vodaphone, as sky don`t seem to be able to offer me anything other than £5 off fibre/line rental.

That offer is what I got £13 for entertainment £1 box sets and £1 HD
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it me ....but are Sky being more accommodating lately? I got ~ 55% discount on my package for 18 months but others seem to be getting even better deals lately!!
  • Hooli
    Hooli Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

I'm currently with Sky for TV only:
    Variety Bundle £33.50pm
    Sports Complete Pack £28.00pm

I got on chat Sunday and Monday and asked about a reduction and also adding BB and phone. The offer they gave was:

Entertainment £15pm
    Sports £18pm
    Fibre & Line Rental £25
    Anytime Calls £8

Does this seem like a good deal, given i would be giving them more business in the way of Phone and BB? When i told them i would have to check with my husband and that it looked like we would go with NowTV and cancel our contract, they said, 'No problem' and that was it.
    Am i doing a good job or do i need to push for more? Any advice welcome, thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hooli wrote: »
    Hi All

Variety Bundle £33.50pm

I got on chat Sunday and Monday and asked about a reduction and also adding BB and phone. The offer they gave was:

Entertainment £15pm
    Sports £18pm
    Fibre & Line Rental £25
    Anytime Calls £8

Does this seem like a good deal, given i would be giving them more business in the way of Phone and BB? When i told them i would have to check with my husband and that it looked like we would go with NowTV and cancel our contract, they said, 'No problem' and that was it.
    Am i doing a good job or do i need to push for more? Any advice welcome, thanks.

That's a decent deal, can you possibly get it for less? Maybe, but what's your time worth?
  • Lauree
    Lauree Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just thought I'd add both mine and my nans package prices as they're both different packages and were purchased differently (one upgrading and one new customer)

My nan was on sky+ for over 10 years and was paying over £90 per month. This was for basic TV, phone & broadband. So I switched her to sky Q on a deal that wasn't great but better than what she had. The deal was in April this year and was

Fibre unlimited £15
    Line rental £18.99
    Anonymous caller reject £4
    Voicemail £2
    Broadband & line rental total £40

Entertainment £20
    HD £5
    Boxsets £5
    Sky Q TV total £30

Overall total bill £70

I wasn't completely happy with it but it was £10 less than what she was paying and she was getting the new software and faster broadband speed. I only see her every few months as she lives away. When I went down this weekend she wanted sky talk putting back on as her son has been running up a phone bill. So I phoned them determined to get her a better deal. This is what I got

Fibre Max £11.01
    Line rental £13.99
    Sky talk anytime £8
    Voicemail £2
    Broadband & line rental total £35

Entertainment £10
    HD £1
    Boxsets £1
    Sky Q TV total £12

Overall total bill £47

I was really happy with this result. Reducing the TV price didn't enter her into a new contract, it just kept to the same tenure as the original. New 12 month contract for bb & line rental. So I got £23 off and added sky talk anytime and fibre max. This is whilst she's in a quite new contract so they didn't have to do anything in terms of reducing the price. However they did and I just wanted to show what you can get as an existing customer who's still in the middle of their contract.

As for my package as a new customer in February signing up for both TV and broadband I got the following

Line rental £18.00
    Broadband Unlimited - Free

Entertainment £12
    HD - free
    Boxsets - free

Tv was for 18 months, BB & line rental for 12 months. However I recently added sports to my package for the following price

Sky sports complete pack £15
    Sky sports HD - free
    Bt sport complete pack £13.99
    Bt sport HD - free
    Total for both sky & bt sport £28.99

My total bill is with sky is £45 & £13.99 with bt. So my overall bill for TV, BB & line rental is £58.99.

Sorry this is so long! I just wanted to show what you can get as an existing customer who's upgrading, existing customer who's unhappy and wants to change the package and as a new customer. I am particularly happy with my nans new deal as we had no leverage and she was right in the middle of the contract. It took two different occasions to get a great deal (first time upgrade to Q, then last week) however compared to this time 6 months ago, she's paying half what she was and has the new system instead of her old sky+. Again sorry it's long, I hope it helps!
  • Hooli
    Hooli Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys. That was really helpful :). All the posts on here seem to get a good deal. I thought I could do better on mine but it seemed no matter what i said they weren't willing to budge. I haven't been through to the 'retentions' people yet, a bit apprehensive about doing that makes me nervous :rotfl:

I'll give it another go tonight and see what happens.

Quick question, I still have a sky dish so upgrading to Q, does that mean I would have to have anything else installed or does it still go through the dish? Sorry, i'm really not techy at all .... you can tell.
  • nightshot99
    Options
    Thanks guys. That was really helpful :). All the posts on here seem to get a good deal. I thought I could do better on mine but it seemed no matter what i said they weren't willing to budge. I haven't been through to the 'retentions' people yet, a bit apprehensive about doing that makes me nervous :rotfl:

I'll give it another go tonight and see what happens.

Quick question, I still have a sky dish so upgrading to Q, does that mean I would have to have anything else installed or does it still go through the dish? Sorry, i'm really not techy at all .... you can tell.
    They wont budge until you put in your 31 days notice to leave, then leave it a week and check the myoffer page, they will phone you up, email etc. Ignore them until they offer what you want, dont be tempted to accept higher priced packages.

When they fit the skyQ they will have to change the lnb on your dish.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All

Variety Bundle £33.50pm

Entertainment £15pm
    Sports £18pm
    Fibre & Line Rental £25
    Anytime Calls £8

If the Entertainment and Sports packages are in HD then good deal on TV; Seems to me that phone/band/calls is still a bit too expensive.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure