Options

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Rexiel.
    Not very clear though, is it?

It is odd the way they do it, In my case I was forewarned by other users in this thread when I added them to my own comparison.
    It could be smoke and mirrors to make themselves look good but since most people just look at the monthly payment anyway it's no real benefit.

perhaps they're anxious about VAT rates changing during the fixed period, but I don't know why.

I suppose small companies - unlike the monolithic focus-tested eternal-management-meeting-blandess of the big 6 - are more likely to reflect the 'eccentricities' of their owners. :D
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    It is odd the way they do it, In my case I was forewarned by other users in this thread when I added them to my own comparison.
    It could be smoke and mirrors to make themselves look good but since most people just look at the monthly payment anyway it's no real benefit.

perhaps they're anxious about VAT rates changing during the fixed period, but I don't know why.

I suppose small companies - unlike the monolithic focus-tested eternal-management-meeting-blandess of the big 6 - are more likely to reflect the 'eccentricities' of their owners. :D

They do make it very clear on their website that standing charges and unit prices are subject to VAT BUT the annual cost shown includes VAT. it is worth remembering that comparison sites show VAT inclusive figures.
  • Ellster
    Options
    I've been looking at signing up with Iresa as our fixed deal is about to end and they are by far the cheapest for us.

Does anybody know what happens if an energy company gets into difficulty or goes under before your 12 month fix ends? Or is it literally a case that all the lights, heating etc suddenly go off? :eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @ellster
    No if a supplier goes out of business, your gas and electricity will still flow. The regulator will step in and find a Supplier Of Last Resort who will honour your existing deal. See the story of GBEnergy for more details as this is the precedent.
  • Ellster
    Options
    @gsmlnx
    Thanks for that. I've just read up on what happened with GBEnergy, so I know what the worst case scenario would be.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After an exchange of e-mails with both Iresa and Ofgem, I have just received the following from Iresa CS with regard to their volume to kWh gas conversion using a fixed calorific value:

Quote: The issue has been investigated. We will be refunding any excess payment that might have been made due to the fixed calorific value. This will not be reflected in the January bill but, will be addressed in the February bill. Unquote
  • jlfan
    jlfan Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    jlfan wrote: »
    So far so good. E.on v19 finishes end of Jan. 14 day cooling off for Iresa ended Tuesday. Had email through on the day to confirm ddr amount and date which I knew. DDR went out today as scheduled. Supply due to switch Feb 1st or thereabouts. Not had to phone or email. Account is set up on their www and I have access to it. Not bothered about CV - now it is pointed out it will be sorted I'm sure, but they are so much cheaper, I am going to go with it, and see what happens. As I say so far so good.
    A week on and had no cause to contact Iresa but the DDR went out on Friday and the online account has been updated today apportioning between Elec and Gas. Logged into E.on account and I see now they have a note on their to say they are aware that I am leaving them. They tell me to make sure I am getting the best deal and to call them....hmmmph. Yes my deal would be the 34% one cheaper than them, so I won't bother to call. Awaiting emails to request meter readings but ( touching wood as I say this) so far so good.

OK so not so good.

E.on finished on 26th Jan I think.

Applied to Iresa on around 8th Jan I think.

Elec was scheduled to start 31/1 - ok so far so good.

But no news on Gas.

31/1 - meter points not set up online so used ( very easy) website to send message about opening Electricity meter reading.

No reply.

3/2 No news so phoned this morning and spoke to very helpful lady. Confirmed receipt of the website message and also that Elec did in fact start on 31/1 and the www would update with meter point shortly.

However Gas move has not even started...!! Process starting today, after my call, and will take 16-18 days.

Not the end of the world but E.on will still be sitting on my credit balance, could be for best part of another month.

My advice? Phone them up and make sure things are happening.
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    However Gas move has not even started...!! Process starting today, after my call, and will take 16-18 days.

Not the end of the world but E.on will still be sitting on my credit balance, could be for best part of another month.

Did they give you any believable explanation as to why the gas move hadn't started?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 February 2017 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Unfortunate to hear about the other issues jlfan, you should be able to get the gas switched in the price protection window. Push them to complete it before the 15th to avoid paying E.ON's SVR for the interim period.

Absolutely agree.
    Also agree about phoning them, the ticket system is fine for something that can wait, but chasing them on the phone is best for anything switch related.

My own switch is due to complete next Monday, until recently only the electricity meter was showing under 'meter points' on the website, but not the Gas. (Although both fuels were showing account credits from the advance payment, a warning sign for anyone else if it's not).

Still in the switching period, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, but aware of my own proximity to the end of E.ON's price protection window, I phoned them up yesterday (I guess there's a certain amount of luck with wait times, I phoned at lunchtime and was only waiting 10-15 minutes which I thought was quite good) and was told that it was in progress but they were waiting for 'information' to complete the setup. After quizzing them I was told it was third parties they were waiting for, not the previous supplier (something about 'flows'? I didn't quite catch her). She said it should be there by switch day but to phone again if it wasn't.

Checked again today and both meter points are set up ready for opening readings, coincidence?

On an unrelated note, I have a Natwest Reward account that pays 3% cashback on utility bill direct debits. Even though Iresa isn't listed as one of their 'eligible' suppliers they still detected the first DD as an energy payment and credited the 3% reward correctly, rather than me having to go in and request it manually afterwards, which is nice. (Edit Apparently they are listed but under 'Iresa Limited')
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • jlfan
    jlfan Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Did they give you any believable explanation as to why the gas move hadn't started?

No, the lady ( who I have to say was very helpful) followed up my call with an email later with that news!

I have since written and requested that very answer.

I will update, but I suspect it will 'just' have slipped through the net.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure