PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Selling - Money Saving Tips

Options

Comments

• glidergirluk
    Options
    profitin wrote: »
    Nice and profitable site for every one

http://www.365jobs4u.com/idevaffiliate/pages/1697.php
    :spam: :spam:
    Will not spend more money:naughty:, but will spend more time looking for that great bargain!:dance:
  • sandon_2
    Options
    thanks Prioryred

I took a look at that website www.ilikeyourstreet.com and although no one has registered an interest in my street I will keep an eye on things to see if there is any interest. Can also avoid paying for a hip. I know where I want to buy next so have registered the post code I am interested in.

:T Cheers
  • MrsJ2008
    Options
    Hi all,

I've had my house up for sale for 2 months with an estate agent who will charge 1% plus vat once a sale has gone through. The reason why I chose this agent was that they advertised on Rightmove. Since I've been with them they have stopped advertising on Rightmove and have changed to Propertyfinder. If i'd known this I wouldn't have gone with them as I wanted to be on Rightmove (I've had 1 viewing in 8 weeks). I've checked my contract and it states they will advertise my property at their discretion and i'm stuck with them now till the end of October.

I want to sell asap as I have credit cards and my wedding to pay off and was contemplating doing a dual vendor with Farrell Heyworth. They have told me that they charge £250 + VAT UPFRONT (not the usual no sell no fee basis) and that they will charge me 1.75% of the asking price. My current estate agents have agreed to do a dual vendor but will hike their fee upto 1.5%.

After all this, what i'm asking is, is it worth me blowing the £250 + vat to go with the other estate? If they weren't asking for this upfront money I wouldn't have minded the increased % fees of both agents.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • PropertyPro
    Options
    Mrs J.

In my experience, dual agents rarely works - the buying public's perception is that there is probably something wrong with the property because it needs more than one estate agent to try and sell it.

I would stick with your current agent until the contract expires and then switch to another that is on Right Move and will not charge an up-front fee with no guarantee of success.

Mark
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Having worked for estate agents in the past, as well as set fee's etc, you always need to check whether it includes the board, the advertising, showing people round, etc, etc, sometimes it looks good but then you pay extra for these things. ALSO WHETHER IT INCLUDES VAT OR NOT!!

Also, you need to check how much advertising, ie how much money is laid aside, as if the property stays on a long time, they might start charging extra for ads.

Nothing is moving at the moment, and estate agents are not doing well, so you can probably get a better offer if you look around. Also you need to make sure how much they will charge if you sell it yourself, and how much they will charge for cancelling the contract. I would not want to pay more than 1% inclusive of everything!!(especially if it is a high priced property!)

Hope this helps someone. Regards oap
  • tinecu
    tinecu Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    oap wrote: »
    Having worked for estate agents in the past, as well as set fee's etc, you always need to check whether it includes the board, the advertising, showing people round, etc, etc, sometimes it looks good but then you pay extra for these things. ALSO WHETHER IT INCLUDES VAT OR NOT!!

Also, you need to check how much advertising, ie how much money is laid aside, as if the property stays on a long time, they might start charging extra for ads.

Nothing is moving at the moment, and estate agents are not doing well, so you can probably get a better offer if you look around. Also you need to make sure how much they will charge if you sell it yourself, and how much they will charge for cancelling the contract. I would not want to pay more than 1% inclusive of everything!!(especially if it is a high priced property!)

Hope this helps someone. Regards oap
    Choosing the right estate agent to sell your home is not easy. The costs vary of course but what you also want to know is who will sell fastest. (I've suffered from lazy agents before who I choose because they seemed good value).

I was looking for estate agents in my area (nr Halifax) and came across this useful data on Home.co.uk. They show who sells fastest and the typical price range of the agent (no point asking an elite agency to value a '2 up 2 down')
    see: http://www.home.co.uk/search/agents/results.htm?location=halifax
    but you will probably want to start your search on Home.co.uk here: UK Estate Agents Directory
  • Luke_Skywalker_1980
    Options
    About to but my house on the market even though it is the worst time possible but we need more space and have seen a house we dont want to miss out on. Anyway, have had 3 agents round, fees from 1.25% to 1.5%. I plan to haggle, but have just read about online agents such as housenetwork.co.uk does anyone have advise on these? I am really strapped for cash so this could save me serious money, but I have never heard of them before. Do you get a board? Can you ring them or is it 100% online?

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • wikitips
    Options
    Check this out this cool WIKI site http://www.WikiForTips.com this site has tips and check lists on various subjects of life. Not just that but anyone can go and create new tips and update existing tips. Best part is that registration is not required. It includes categories and topics ranging from house hold to relationship to finance and travel and many more. Just check out and have fun.
  • Polly_Pod
    Options
    We've just put our house on the market too but we're emigrating next year so we need to get started. We got 4 agents round & made a list of the pro's & con's (including the valuations (which varied alot), fees & how they treated us).

I've got the decorator round at the minute doing touch up stuff to the paint work.

They have a recommended solicitor but I'm convinced they'll get something for recommending them but I've no idea what to ask the solicitors for when asking for a quote directly.

I got the HIP much cheaper too at £190, all agents were quoting between £300 - £400 so quite pleased with myself.

Good luck everyone
    2010 - nothing as we emigrated to Australia!!! :j
  • susanqy
    Options
    Thank you Martin for giving this post

I’m glad the info is of use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts