PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Selling - Money Saving Tips

Options

Comments

• badethzky
    Options
    thanks for sharing with us the info
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    We just sold our house and this is what we did.

We got 5 agents to value. One was low, one very high and the other three in the middle. We went with a middle one who we liked.

We have used a licensed conveyancer and used them again, they are BRILL and chased everything really strongly. We also had our own HIPs - done by said conveyancer. There was difficulty over a lost planning document and we did the running around and chasing to get it.

Our agent was getting people in, but only 2 were in a position to go and they didn't want it. At the same time it was clear the market was hardening and so we put our price down 7%. We got a cash buyer and they paid 8.5% below our first price.

Our agents were very good. We paid 1% and we tied in for 8 weeks. I thought that was reasonable, if they didn't sell in that time I would have then moved to another who kept in touch with nice chatty and informative phone calls.

We worked for three months to make our house look like a showhome. Every viewing was thoroughly prepared for and the house dressed. We spent about 1%, maybe just over. It was worth every penny.

Now there are similar houses on at what we sold for. A house in our road was very overpriced and is still there with 2 agents and reduced from 'offers over' £314k to £275,950ono. It is a different design to us, but because I'd been watching the market I knew from the start it was way overpriced and no effort had been made to make it look nice for a sale.

Apparently they were gutted when they saw our moving van. What they haven't learnt is that you have to put time, effort and research into selling a house. A quarter of a million pounds+ is a lot of money to leave totally in someone elses hands. If it had gone on at £299,950 last autumn (when it first went on) they would have sold it and got about £280k. Now, I think it is too late for them. They will only get about £250k max as the style is not popular.

There is no perfect way to sell and I'm glad our cash is in the bank. There are buyers out there. We took a lower offer from a cash buyer as in April chains were already unravelling at an alarming rate.

What we did was right for us, but we were sensible and took the long view. I was not worried about falling prices as that has a knock on effect. I was worried that houses would stop selling. Although in an ideal world we would have waited until next year that long view said get on with it and we did.
  • SallysChateau
    Options
    I love this site but reading this thread practically reduced me to tears !! I'm selling my house in France and the Agents charge a whopping 7%. You would think they would do something for that wouldn't you ? Wrong. In the end I'm selling it myself, top quality pictures, correct and informative details and saving myself 40,000 euros into the bargain.
  • juliemci
    Options
    What are your thoughts about online estate agents. Is this the future. I have a friend who has put her house on the market with Mousesale. They are also on Rightmove.co.uk and charged her a fee of £293 with no other commission.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    juliemci wrote: »
    What are your thoughts about online estate agents. Is this the future. I have a friend who has put her house on the market with Mousesale. They are also on Rightmove.co.uk and charged her a fee of £293 with no other commission.

Lots of us on the board have used www.housenetwork.co.uk with success. I think onlline estate agents are great if you are getting seen on rightmove and are prepared to take responsibility for your asking price and set it sensible.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • thomasz
    thomasz Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hope i will not have any trouble,when use it.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Exactly what I was saying about spam on stickies. Didn't get a reply from our boardguides.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • stephf10
    Options
    Hello,

This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes....

Our estate agent called this morning to say if we dont drop our price by £10,000 he will no longer continue to market the property as it costs him money to keep us on the books? I have no problem dropping the price, I would even consider dropping further (but dont expect it to make a fig of a difference as we are looking for a first time buyer)

Does anyone else have similar experiences, and what expense is it to keep someone on the books?

thanks!!!
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    Options
    stephf10 wrote: »
    Hello,

This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes....

Our estate agent called this morning to say if we dont drop our price by £10,000 he will no longer continue to market the property as it costs him money to keep us on the books? I have no problem dropping the price, I would even consider dropping further (but dont expect it to make a fig of a difference as we are looking for a first time buyer)

Does anyone else have similar experiences, and what expense is it to keep someone on the books?

thanks!!!

You should get more responses if you start your own thread for this as a lot of posters don't read the stickies. Just push the NEW THREAD button at the top and post it again.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• jelliottuk
    Options
    I interesting point
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family