PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Selling - Money Saving Tips

Options

Comments

• Tommok
    Tommok Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Polly_Pod wrote: »
    We've just put our house on the market too but we're emigrating next year so we need to get started. We got 4 agents round & made a list of the pro's & con's (including the valuations (which varied alot), fees & how they treated us).

I've got the decorator round at the minute doing touch up stuff to the paint work.

They have a recommended solicitor but I'm convinced they'll get something for recommending them but I've no idea what to ask the solicitors for when asking for a quote directly.

I got the HIP much cheaper too at £190, all agents were quoting between £300 - £400 so quite pleased with myself.

Good luck everyone

Hi Polly - where did you get your HIP from?
  • Polly_Pod
    Polly_Pod Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    samsmart wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Was just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a home information pack from the estate agents have told me prices but i know you can get them cheaper just dont know where to start, i know some solicitors wont take the cheap versions but also don't want to end up paying the earth for no reason

Thanks
    Sam

Hi there

I don't see why an estate agent wouldn't accept it if it was genuine & from an authorised company.

I got mine much cheaper at £190 from an independant company, I typeed in cheap hips lancashire into google and there was a site (i'm really sorry i can't remember what it was called) i put my info in then i got a few emails with quotes & info from different companies.

Try that but changing your location. If you are in Lancashire I can give you the details of the guy we used if that would help.

good luck

Polly
    2010 - nothing as we emigrated to Australia!!! :j
  • Polly_Pod
    Polly_Pod Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    Tommok wrote: »
    A couple of silly questions - I'm a newbie to this!

What is the deal with buying a HIP online - I assume they still send an agent around to look at the property?

I've heard some stories about cheapo ones not being accepted by solicitors - is this true?

Has anyone got any sites they have used and can recommend for a HIP please?

Thanks.

The guy we used came round and spent over an hour here, measuring, checking inside & out, in the loft & asked questions, he was very thorough. Some charge you for getting a copy of the land registery documents (I think it was those documents BUT don't quote me) if you haven't got them but he was only going to charge £25, we had them though so.....

I've not heard about them not being excepted, I can't see why they wouldn't if they were done correctly & by an authorised person/company. Worth looking into though.
    2010 - nothing as we emigrated to Australia!!! :j
  • samsmart_2
    Options
    Polly_Pod wrote: »
    Hi there

I don't see why an estate agent wouldn't accept it if it was genuine & from an authorised company.

I got mine much cheaper at £190 from an independant company, I typeed in cheap hips lancashire into google and there was a site (i'm really sorry i can't remember what it was called) i put my info in then i got a few emails with quotes & info from different companies.

Try that but changing your location. If you are in Lancashire I can give you the details of the guy we used if that would help.

good luck

Polly

Thank you polly, i did type in cheap in hip packs in my area and have found
    one for £152 + vat thank you for the advice, the only problem is that it says on the website make sure you use a registered hip provider, does any one know how i can find out if this company is registered.

Thank you
  • toshkininny
    toshkininny Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, is it an advantage to put your house up for sale with the same estate agent that is selling the house you are interested in?

I ask because the estate agent has quoted their fee, I want to shop around, but I also want them to be on our side as much as possible, so I don't know if they will take kindly to us then going with another estate agent just because they might have cheaper fees (although haven't tested that water yet).

Thanks.
  • carling_2
    Options
    I am hoping to sell a house I have inherited shortly and was wondering if anybody had used one of these people who advertise to give a valuation on the property and buy your house quickly without filling in HIP or estate agent's fees and they will pay your legal fees.
  • gracesmith
    Options
    Hi..........,
    Thanks for the tips these are really very helpful for every person.:T
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • ajbisgr8
    Options
    Hi, is it an advantage to put your house up for sale with the same estate agent that is selling the house you are interested in?
    I'm not an estate agent but have bought and sold a few houses, in my experience, yes as they get commission from both properties (2 for 1 in effect) - this should give you some grounds for negotiating down the commission figure.
  • markh80
    Options
    Hi All, advice needed please.....

We are looking to buy a particular house and have put ours up for sale with the same estate agent that is selling the one we want, the thinking being that they have a vested interest in selling ours too.

Now the company that owns the house we want (house builder owns it, taken as a part ex) has appointed a 2nd estate agent. Do you think we should advertise ours with this new estate agent also? Will they do this? Will our original estate agent take offence and not try to sell ours?

Mark
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone successful experience of selling property in the £350,000 to £650,00 price range via one of the online websites?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback