3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have different bank accounts for different things, but this year I took my eye off the ball and bailed out the kids who promised to pay me back but didn’t and my self employed status meant that my rent went up, and my tax credits went down at the same time as my maintenance was cut. All in all it amounts to a difference in my overall income of £140 a week. I am struggling to bring my expenses down and now unable to pay myself as much as last year so also have that to impact my situation.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • DreamerHelen
    Options
    Hey All :)

I'm on another Night Shift (you're going to get fed up of me saying that LoL :D)....Feeling okay although the past couple of days I have felt really down and anxious....I may not be getting paid when I expected to be paid and it could be next Week now and I'm feeling anxious about that - But hopefully it will work out okay....

Nothing to Report moneywise....I have already put in £25 this Week and that may well be it, not sure, may be able to put in a little more at the Weekend or tomorrow but we'll see....

Here's to the Updates... xXx :)

166million - I've Updated the First Page....You're doing INCREDIBLE...keep on going hun...you CAN do this!! Thank you for your lovely words....It's hard having anxiety for me because I can never tell when I'm over-reacting to something or whether there genuinely is something to be worried about...I hope everything goes well for you...You really ARE doing great...We can only take one step at a time and keep putting one foot in front of another....xXx :)

datlex - Thank you for your comments to Mooloo, much appreciated...How are you getting on? xXx :)

Mooloo - I know it's hard but try not to feel disheartened, you managed to build up your Fund before and you will do again....I've just re-read the First Post that I did on this Challenge and it says that there is NO time limit to this Challenge and that it will probably take me Years to do this...and it will....We do it at our own pace and in our own time according to what we can manage....Please don't worry and just start again when you can...We are all here for you when you are ready xXx :)
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi DreamerHelen am plodding along. Must say I am glad folk in this part of the forum are nice. Some people who use the savings, pensions, insurance and banking parts are actually rather nasty.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    Hi DreamerHelen am plodding along. Must say I am glad folk in this part of the forum are nice. Some people who use the savings, pensions, insurance and banking parts are actually rather nasty.

I'm glad I've only encountered nice people on this site. :)
    Hope everyone is doing well. I've still got my cold.
    My target of 10k maybe means I'll never actually reach my goal but I know I am working towards it so :money:
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • skye_blue
    Options
    Hi guys

You ok today helen, i think we all suffer anxiety in some form or other from time to time it seems its the world we live in - i had to take a year out of work at one time but ive been mostly ok for a while now but still have to take time out now and then to recharge

im not declaring any pennies in the pot today but want to echo that this is a lovely bunch of folk on here
    all encouraging each other with helen being the cheer leader

have a lovely weekend folk and keep warm x
  • DreamerHelen
    Options
    Evening All :)

Guess where I am? Yep, on another Night Shift...I haven't done any for a while....and to be honest I'd rather be at home in bed right now but never mind....at least I'm out earning money rather than at home spending it!! LoL... :D

I've managed to put another £25 in my Emergency Fund so I'm very pleased with that....I've reached the £100-mark so I'm really pleased with that as well....

Here's to the Updates... xXx :)

datlex - I'm so sorry that you've experienced problems in other parts of MSE....And I'm really proud that we're all lovely here and that we all try to support each other even things don't always work out the way we'd like xXx :)

166million - You will get to your Goal if you keep moving forwards, don't worry how long it takes you...It will take me years and years to get to my final Goal but at least we are moving towards it... xXx :)

skye blue - I'm doing okay....I don't know why my Anxiety takes hold sometimes....and I don't know why it's worse sometimes...Mum says I was an anxious child but I'm not sure why I can't just let things go sometimes....But thank you for checking on me...I'm doing mostly okay today....And you're right, we really are a lovely bunch on here... xXx :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hello again:wave: and to apologise for being away from you lovely people for so many weeks. Real life has been the absolute pits for me but I know several of you are encountering bad times too and I'm sending big hugs to all who need them:kisses3:.

I haven't had the time to read all the posts for the past 6 weeks or so and will try to put that right as soon as I can.

Sadly, my money making has hit the buffers and I've totally lost track of where I'm up to with my debt-busting and saving:o. I really must make a big effort in what's left of 2017 to get a grip so I can start next year in a much better place than I started this one.

Take care xxx
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi CBC,

I'm sorry things have been tough for you. Real life has a habit of being a nuisance on times.

I hope you are OK now. You have been missed, it's lovely to see you back. ;)

Dobbi
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Dragon_Lily
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Not posted in a while as I'd not managed to save anymore cash into my emergency for ages. I've managed not to spend any of it either, which is good. I'm finally able to add £30 to it, so my total is now £1130. :j Creeping up to my one of my interim targets of £1250.

Hope everyone is doing ok and managing to save - even a little helps towards your goal. Helen I've updated my signature with my new total. :)

Dragon Lily
    :staradmin Star from Sue-UU

3 - 6 Emergency fund #24 £2273. Target £3,000
    SPC15 #57 [SPC14 £195.50, SPC13 £114.08, SPC12 £215, SPC11 £183, SPC10 £209]

• Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't posted much as not much to report really.

Sadly, I underestimated the cost of my DD's carpet by £150 and her bed/mattress cost more than expected- and then I also forgot to budget for new bedding (we got a double bed, when she previously had single). So it means, I am playing catch up. Luckily I am able to use December's and January's surplus money to cover the difference.

We also got a refund from Argos for £77 because they had an offer on their beds and mattresses that they honoured for us.

We also went slightly over budget for our groceries because I had to do a Makro run sooner than expected. (Andrex doesn't last as long as Cushelle :rotfl:). Luckily I have managed to move some money from a couple of other categories which will cover us. As I use YNAB, I always allocate a certain amount each month to 'Stuff I Forgot To Budget For'.

So, no extra funds for me, but still feeling positive, and more importantly, 'in control' of things.

Anxiety is a pain, I feel for anyone who suffers. I have OCD, which is an anxiety disorder and it's often horrendous. I am quite stable at the moment though, thanks goodness. Sending good thoughts and hugs to all that need them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure