Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

edited 25 August 2015 at 3:36PM in Phones & TV
2.3K replies 491.5K views

Replies

• TannsTanns Forumite
    8 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    Cancelled 28 days ago, had a couple of calls and a couple of letters through the post. Jumped on the chat a couple of times and rejected their deals.

This evening, jumped on the chat and managed to get the deal below. Was paying £68 for virtually same deal. 

Could have followed through with cancellation and got a better deal but have been with sky for 14 years and didn’t want to be without service. 

Happy!

• kt01kt01 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am on sky plus deal with sky sports complete and signature for £36.50 until Jan 22. My sky plus box is dying. It keeps glitching and freezing. My options are a £65 engineer visit including refurb sky plus box Or Sky Q. My question i suppose is what is the cheapest and simplest way to get Sky Q. If I go for 1 extra multiscreen box its £10/month for 18 months or if I just want skyQ its £99. What can I haggle with. I cant leave the contract so I need to pick one of these options unless I pick up a second hand plus box off ebay or something. Thanks
    I would hop on Facebook Marketplace or eBay for a used Sky+ HD box, there's loads really cheap, well under £20 because people regularly are leaving or upgrading to Q. You'll have to call up to get your card paired.

Next year make sure you get upgraded to Q in my opinion. It's a much better box and it's Sky's responsibility if it goes wrong. The only issue for some is it doesn't work with the tvlink system for second rooms some people have.

• southladsouthlad Forumite
    4 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Question…

if I were to accept a new deal today but then Sky announce a price rise next month. Will I be included in that price rise? 
  • Rufty1Rufty1 Forumite
    87 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Looks like the bill is going to almost double over the next couple of months.  I can never remember how to find the on line chat to start the negotiations - can anyone direct me please?
  • Sitries1Sitries1 Forumite
    20 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Hello All, my 18 month deal with sky ended last month and it’s now gone up to £170 a month!! I was paying £99 a month all in which I was happy with but I’ve Called them up and the best price the cancellations team have offered me is £125. 

The package is - 

- Sky fibre broadband. 
    - All Sky channels including movies and sports. 
    - BT sport. 
    - Netflix. 

What’s my next move? Should I cancel and then wait for an offer??? 
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    southlad said:
    Question…

if I were to accept a new deal today but then Sky announce a price rise next month. Will I be included in that price rise? 

It's March sometime, but there must be a cutoff. Just had a bill increase with my mobile provider of around 10% so this would be a good one to avoid.
  • HaroldWren5HaroldWren5 Forumite
    165 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Sitries1 said:
    Hello All, my 18 month deal with sky ended last month and it’s now gone up to £170 a month!! I was paying £99 a month all in which I was happy with but I’ve Called them up and the best price the cancellations team have offered me is £125. 

The package is - 

- Sky fibre broadband. 
    - BT sport. 
    - Netflix. 

It depends. Doing a quick check on the Sky website, for a new customer:

- Sky Ultrafast Full Fibre (FTTP) 150Mbps Broadband (note this is NOT the inferior FTTC product)
    - All Sky Channels including Sports and Cinema
    - Ultra HD
    - Multi Room
    - Netflix
    - BT Sport

comes to £124 a month. So I would say unless they are offering you Full Fibre Ultrafast 150Mbps Broadband and multi room, I would reject their renewal price and say you want a better deal.

You can always leave temporarily and then get their "come back offer" as well. During the downtime, you could do the following in the mean time until Sky offer you a better price:

- Freeview TV (Free)
    - Rolling contract with Cuckoo Broadband (30 day contracts) from £29.99 a month
    - Netflix direct from Netflix (30 day contract) around £12 a month
    - BT Sports Pass Ultimate (30 day contract)  at £25 a month
    - Now TV Sky Sports pass for approx £33 a month (that is without any offer, there might be a better price) on a 30 day rolling contract
    - Now TV Sky Entertainment & Cinema & Boost (HD) Pass at £11.98 for 3 months and £19.98 on 30 day rolling after that.

Please note you could choose to subscribe, or unsubscribe to any of these services on a monthly basis (e.g. when you didn't need BT Sport, or Sky Sports that particular month). Your Sky Channels will come via your Internet to your Smart TV, or Firestick plugged into your TV. 

The total cost of the example above would average at around £112 a month on a 30 day rolling contract for the lot. You then just wait for Sky to offer you a better price. Or you can even stick with that. It's actually cheaper than the Sky renewal price of £125! The only thing you cannot access would be Ultra HD 4K Sky Sports and loss of a Sky Q recording box if that is what you use. 
  • exile57exile57 Forumite
    1 Post
    Fifth Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I think I must have gone about it all the wrong way this time, but I rang to cancel my Sky TV (Sky Signature) and Broadband like I do at the end of every contact, to see what deal they would offer, but this time instead of trying to offer me a new deal, they simply cancelled both contracts there and then! Is that it, should I start looking around for alternatives or do you think they'll get back in touch with an offer?
  • HaroldWren5HaroldWren5 Forumite
    165 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    exile57 said:
    I think I must have gone about it all the wrong way this time, but I rang to cancel my Sky TV (Sky Signature) and Broadband like I do at the end of every contact, to see what deal they would offer, but this time instead of trying to offer me a new deal, they simply cancelled both contracts there and then! Is that it, should I start looking around for alternatives or do you think they'll get back in touch with an offer?
    Always good to have a backup plan ready. Certainly for broadband at least. Check whether you can get Mobile Broadband (4G speeds using a Mobile Hotspot), or Full Fibre ("Ultrafast") products for instance. Then you know what you could get elsewhere. 
  • Sitries1Sitries1 Forumite
    20 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Sitries1 said:

The package is - 

- Sky fibre broadband. 
    - BT sport. 
    - Netflix. 

It depends. Doing a quick check on the Sky website, for a new customer:

- Sky Ultrafast Full Fibre (FTTP) 150Mbps Broadband (note this is NOT the inferior FTTC product)
    - All Sky Channels including Sports and Cinema
    - Ultra HD
    - Multi Room
    - Netflix
    - BT Sport

comes to £124 a month. So I would say unless they are offering you Full Fibre Ultrafast 150Mbps Broadband and multi room, I would reject their renewal price and say you want a better deal.

You can always leave temporarily and then get their "come back offer" as well. During the downtime, you could do the following in the mean time until Sky offer you a better price:

- Freeview TV (Free)
    - Rolling contract with Cuckoo Broadband (30 day contracts) from £29.99 a month
    - Netflix direct from Netflix (30 day contract) around £12 a month
    - BT Sports Pass Ultimate (30 day contract)  at £25 a month
    - Now TV Sky Sports pass for approx £33 a month (that is without any offer, there might be a better price) on a 30 day rolling contract
    - Now TV Sky Entertainment & Cinema & Boost (HD) Pass at £11.98 for 3 months and £19.98 on 30 day rolling after that.

Please note you could choose to subscribe, or unsubscribe to any of these services on a monthly basis (e.g. when you didn't need BT Sport, or Sky Sports that particular month). Your Sky Channels will come via your Internet to your Smart TV, or Firestick plugged into your TV. 

The total cost of the example above would average at around £112 a month on a 30 day rolling contract for the lot. You then just wait for Sky to offer you a better price. Or you can even stick with that. It's actually cheaper than the Sky renewal price of £125! The only thing you cannot access would be Ultra HD 4K Sky Sports and loss of a Sky Q recording box if that is what you use. 
    I spoke to sky on the online ‘chat’ today and after some back and forth which took most of the day they gave me a price of £120 which is still £20 a month more than I was paying for the previous 18 month contract. I went ahead with the cancellation so it’s just a waiting game now i guess!!!  

One question I have is - let’s say they come back to me with a new offer which I’m happy with in the next month or so and I decide to re subscribe with them. Will my service be uninterrupted as far as I won’t need to send all the equipment back etc?