PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• momoney-moproblems
    Options
    I phoned barclaycard a few weeks ago to enquire about ppi on my card from 1998 to 2004. I still have my statements. The lady confirmed that i did have ppi and where to write to. The next day I called and i asked if i could put in a complaint over the phone. This time the lady i spoke to said i never had any PPI and I was wasting my time. I asked her to put in the complaint anyway as I know I had PPI. Again she told me I was wasting my time but said she would put in the complaint. I received a letter the next day saying my complaint was being dealt with and asking me to fill in that tedious questionnaire.
    At this point I started to think I couldn't be bothered any more, and I ignored the questionnaire. A couple of weeks later they sent me a reminder, which I ignored.
    A couple more weeks passed, and I got a letter saying they had upheld my complaint, and I was getting just under £2,000! I think I paid about £650 in premiums so the rest is interest etc.

I probably shouldn't have given up so easily but it just goes to show it can still work out!

Now I'm waiting to hear back from Egg loan (Canada Square), Halifax (mortgage), and a Tesco Loan.
  • magicbucks
    magicbucks Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I logged onto my bank account today to see that Tesco had credited just over 2000 as they said they would Whole process took from 4th June until today I have to say they were excellent and I cannot fault them at all

Waiting now to hear from barclaycard and sainsburys on my credit card PPI

Thanks a million again to everyone on ths site for all their help
  • Paul_J
    Paul_J Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For anyone who's contemplating submitting a claim but feels a bit put off from doing so simply because you feel it might be "too long ago now", just do it!

A few months ago I submitted a PPI claim to Natwest/RBS for a loan I had in 1993.
    Within 2 weeks they'd made me an offer.
    Natwest/RBS could not have made the process easier.
    Good luck! :beer:
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good to read that people getting their claims very easily :) Without wanting to burst any bubble dont forget HMRC will tax the interest part of your payout :(
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • john59_2
    john59_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Failed on both my mortgage and loans PPI. time to give up now I think............just cant be bothered anymore, Ive got more important things to with what I have left of my life...............I detest banks with a passion, all the best to those that have the time and energy to claim, good luck.
  • dazla
    dazla Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    ParkerFive wrote: »
    Just got a credit from Barclays for my overdraft payment protection and account fees - £7600! All for a 10 minute phone call and a questionnaire! Waiting for letter in post to see break down and final figures. Over £12000 in less than a month!! :j:j

HI

I'm thinking of trying to reclaim some of my bank charges and account fees (as I am now in a dmp). How far back did they go when providing you with the account fees details and did you just ask over the phone for this?

Thanks
  • ParkerFive
    ParkerFive Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    dazla wrote: »
    HI

I'm thinking of trying to reclaim some of my bank charges and account fees (as I am now in a dmp). How far back did they go when providing you with the account fees details and did you just ask over the phone for this?

Thanks

Still waiting for final breakdown - will let you know when it arrives. I just rang over the phone and said I wanted to complain about the missale of my overdraft and account fees. They looked at my details and straight away were able to find a policy number for ppi on my overdraft so set the ball rolling for me and asked for my reasons - as a teacher I get 6 months full and 6 months half pay - I also never agreed or discussed any policy with them or have ever discussed my sick benefit. They sent me the questionnaire but made the decision within 2 weeks of phone call (4th July call - refund 18th!). When on phone they checked all my loans and found the loan with ppi for 3 months in 2003 ( which I got £670 for). Really helpful and efficient.
  • CasaMia11
    CasaMia11 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Received cheque for ppi yesterday. It took a year but finally upheld by bank. I didn't have to use FOS. First tried to claim back July 2012 but was rejected. Disputed this and it took the bank a year to call me back last week Thursday. Received letter Wednesday and Cheque yesterday morning. Really quick once I received that phone call. When I opened letter at first I thought it was another rejection letter, read more than first line half an hour later and now over the moon.

My PPI was a mortgage PPI from early 90's. It had always been called Repayment Insurance and when I queried this was told it was not a PPI. Lots of people have said they were told they had to have this insurance but my letter of rejection said it was not part of the conditions of being offered a mortgage. I really had a hard sell from the adviser when taking out the mortgage, she tried to sell me lots of products which I didn't want or need.

Mortgage Protection is a really good thing if you need it and it suits your needs. You should however be given informed information and the right to decide whether or not you take it out.

:j
  • dazla
    dazla Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    ParkerFive wrote: »
    Still waiting for final breakdown - will let you know when it arrives. I just rang over the phone and said I wanted to complain about the missale of my overdraft and account fees. They looked at my details and straight away were able to find a policy number for ppi on my overdraft so set the ball rolling for me and asked for my reasons - as a teacher I get 6 months full and 6 months half pay - I also never agreed or discussed any policy with them or have ever discussed my sick benefit. They sent me the questionnaire but made the decision within 2 weeks of phone call (4th July call - refund 18th!). When on phone they checked all my loans and found the loan with ppi for 3 months in 2003 ( which I got £670 for). Really helpful and efficient.

OK thanks, I shall ring them tomorrow :)
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a letter from Canada Square (formerly Egg), saying they owe me £1800! Signed the confirmation and just waiting on the cheque.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback