PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options
1376537663767376837693771»

Comments

• goatfaced
    goatfaced Posts: 175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I just got some money back from Barclaycard. I'm a reclaim newbie, I put in a claim before the deadline and got lucky.
    I'm a bit confused as Martin says on TV that they pay tax on the interest, but they have charged me tax on the compensation which they call 'statutory compensation' and is almost three times as much as the interest (3029.90 compared to 1092.28). 
    Is this correct? I've filled in an R40 form as best I can but am wondering if this means I won't get it all back (605.98 tax paid).
    I can't predict for certain whether or not I'll be a taxpayer this year or not. I'll probably earn roughly around the threshold, if that changes the answer. Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, it's correct.  Tax has been deducted from the statutory interest, which you can claim back if you're under the threshold.

A higher rate tax payer would have additional tax to pay.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    goatfaced said: they have charged me tax on the compensation which they call 'statutory compensation' and is almost three times as much as the interest (3029.90 compared to 1092.28). 
    The "statutory compensation" is 8% simple interest and  it's only the actual refund of the PPI you paid which is not taxed. 
  • goatfaced
    Options

Thanks,
    I've read the letter again and it's made more sense now. They say I paid both PPI and also interest on that PPI. There are no records so it's all just averaged amounts. 

So the compensation is the 8% interest. It wasn't very clear to me because of the word 'interest' being used elsewhere, my head's a bit fuzzy with a cold. Thanks for helping out. I've asked for the interest back anyhow and it's a fabulous windfall at what's a tricky time financially for many people. I'm so grateful for this site, been reading it for years.    
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    goatfaced said: I've asked for the interest back anyhow and it's a fabulous windfall .    
    You won't get the interest back, but you may get back the tax  you paid on that interest....
  • goatfaced
    Options
    goatfaced said: I've asked for the interest back anyhow and it's a fabulous windfall .    
    You won't get the interest back, but you may get back the tax  you paid on that interest....
    That's what I meant, oops!
  • ricb68
    ricb68 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's been a long time since my last post but thought you would all like to know the outcome. After a bit of gentle persuasion and reminding DFD that I had copies of all the documents and marketing from when I started the IVA, quoting their claims of "no more interest or charges" once I entered the IVA, I received just over £8000 back from them and my IVA was settled. I double and triple checked and I have been removed from the insolvency register so thanks for the guidance and insight from everyone else's experiences. Just stick to your guns and keep copies of everything :smile:    
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback