MSE News: How to beat Sky price hikes

Options

Comments

• juniper7
    juniper7 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Just phoned sky and got a £10 a month reduction for 10 months. Sky chap was very helpful and call only took 10 minutes.
  • fionaa
    fionaa Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have just phoned sky for the second time this week, I explained that I wasnt happy to pay the increase and told them after 18 years I was going to cancel. I have just been given £15 per month reduction for the next ten months. Great outcome
  • valued
    valued Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Contacted them two weeks ago and they offered me £10 off, said no thanks. Rang again today and although I had 6 months left of a 12 contract (I had 40% off for 6 months in a 12 contract, the deal had just expired) I said that BT had offered to buy out my contract and offer me sky sports so they said they could match their offer of before and offer 6 months 40% off in a 12 contract. The woman I spoke to was fantastic, the offer had to be allowed by her manager but that was fine. A real credit to sky. 40% off whilst still 6 months in contract is fantastic.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 May 2015 at 12:22AM
    Options
    This thread smacks of Sky desperation. Its a pity the majority of users don't know they can get these kind of discounts.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    This thread smacks of Sky desperation. Its a pity the majority of users don't know they can get these kind of discounts.

...very true -wonder what would happen to the Sky share price if the mass hordes started to wake up and realise what a strong negotiating position they have after the excessive Premier League deals:T
  • defairmans
    defairmans Posts: 962 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »

I don't know who you are referring to but I think most people here will have their money saving success stories in most subjects. Unfortunately, Sky is the one company where my husband and I have had trouble getting discounts from. It is one of our biggest bills because we have the phone, Internet and TV with them. They just never want to budge on our package price no matter how many hours we spend on the phone.
    Having said that, we have never paid for a Sky box and they gave us a new TB box for free last year and we've had small deals in the past.
    I don't think it is fair that long term customers don't get deals that new customers do. Last year they told us they couldn't reduce our package price because our charges would go up even more the next year.
    We can't put a cancellation through because we've got too many recordings on the box and I think they know that.
    On one occasion, when we asked to be put through to retentions, it was switched off within 48 hrs.:(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your recordings will still be on there but scrambled. So when you rejoin you can watch them again. If they don't believe you won't cancel you wont get a discount.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    defairmans wrote: »
    I don't know who you are referring to but I think most people here will have their money saving success stories in most subjects. Unfortunately, Sky is the one company where my husband and I have had trouble getting discounts from. It is one of our biggest bills because we have the phone, Internet and TV with them. They just never want to budge on our package price no matter how many hours we spend on the phone.
    Having said that, we have never paid for a Sky box and they gave us a new TB box for free last year and we've had small deals in the past.
    I don't think it is fair that long term customers don't get deals that new customers do. Last year they told us they couldn't reduce our package price because our charges would go up even more the next year.
    We can't put a cancellation through because we've got too many recordings on the box and I think they know that.
    On one occasion, when we asked to be put through to retentions, it was switched off within 48 hrs.:(

I was referring to Sky. And there are discounts to be had.
    Your recordings will still be on there but scrambled. So when you rejoin you can watch them again. If they don't believe you won't cancel you wont get a discount.

^^^What he said. With Skys position to you in particular, you will have to threaten to cancel and then actually do it. Then the offers will start rolling in.
  • samanthaknd
    samanthaknd Posts: 702 Forumite
    Options
    I have about 5 months left on contract, I subscribe to the family hd bundle with phone/bb when I signed up I have a discount for 12 months on tv meaning breakdown is
    Family - including discounts
    Family £33.00
    Viewing Subscription Discounted - £8.25
    Total £24.75
    Sky Broadband Unlimited£7.50
    Sky Talk Line Rental£16.40
    Free items
    Total £48.65
    next month it shows as
    26 May - 31 May (6 days)
    Family £6.39
    Viewing Subscription Discounted - £1.60
    Subtotal £4.79
    1 Jun - 25 Jun (25 days)
    Family £29.03
    Viewing Subscription Discounted - £7.26
    Subtotal £21.77
    Total £26.56
    Sky Broadband Unlimited £7.50
    Sky Talk Line Rental £16.40

so looking at this is it unrealistic to expect a further discount or is this as good as I can expect until my contract is up?
    Need to get rid of my Yankee Candle Habit, Not very money saving of me :)
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if you can get 75% off
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure