MSE News: How to beat Sky price hikes

Options

Comments

• jonnylondon
    Options
    Rang just now to get a better deal. Out of contract. Person on Retentions gave me a pathetic offer of discount not much more than the increase so I've gone ahead and cancelled. He said cancellation notice will be sent etc.

I'm happy to go with Virgin, but are Sky likely to contact me back to offer better?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How do I access SKY LIVE CHAT ?
    I can't see it on-line....
    thanks
  • Rachmac
    Rachmac Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 April 2015 at 5:42PM
    Options
    I rang sky as we felt we were paying too much before being told we would be paying £1.50 extra. I like the TV package so looked at changing talk/broadband. Found the SSE broadband offer (via MSE). Rang sky, asked for my Mac code. They offered me free broadband but I said that was still more expensive than alternate deal I'd found. The guy I spoke to didn't know about SSE and seemed genuinely surprised the line rental+broadband were only £12. So looked at my package and got me £15.20/month off for 12 months. Which beat the equivalent cost we'd be paying had we moved.

Definitely worth doing your homework before ringing.
  • davidviclee
    Options
    rang this morning got 33% for 5 years on a one year renewel
  • mcgsp
    mcgsp Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Got the £10 off for 10 months with new contract deal after being put through to retentions. Not happy really but the SKY person reckoned she couldn't give me a better offer and she stuck to that line. Last year I was offered no reduction so I took the £10 offer.
  • victor62
    victor62 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure whether to haggle over my latest £2 month hike as had a helluva result last year.
    Was paying well over £20pcm for just the entertainment package (no contract) having been a Sky Customer since the 90s.
    Spoke to retentions Re. loyalty and quality of programmes which we hardly watch these days. Got the standard fare of Sky's investment, quality & range of programming etc.. followed with the line - ' their packages are full of award winning content' to which I cheekily replied - ' so are my trousers'!
    Luckily the guy had a gsoh , so much so I made his day and now I pay only £12.50 p.c.m. for the next 12mths. RESULT or wot?
    Humour goes a long way!
  • aerodrum
    Options
    I realised that i've been paying Sky for the basic package for years, with no reason. Since Freeview and Freesat there's no reason to pay Sky for the basic channels. I have cancelled my subscription after some 20 years only to be able to watch the same channels as before, on the same sky box as before, without the monthly payments! If the box goes wrong eventually, I'll just get a Freesat HD box for a one off payment! I get films from Amazon and Netflix no need for Sky's nonsense. I'm in FULL control now! If you want sports then you're stuck
    with sky. I hate sports and feel sooooooooo free! I should have gone years ago!
  • themaestro023
    Options
    I telephoned today and was eventually put through to 'retentions' who managed to halve the price of my Variety HD package to £15 pm for 10 months. I still have Sky F1, multiroom, Sky+HD. and 3D. This effectively reduced my bill from their new price of £52.50 pm to £37.50. This new price even undercut my previous charges of 12 months by £2 pm before this recent price hike! Been a loyal customer for 13 years, so it's only right they look after us.
  • Rosemcc
    Options
    I called sky to find out if I was still in contract after reading Martin's money saving tips, I also looked at the offers by other suppliers. I was not in contract with them 👍 so I told them I had found a good deal from another provider for £25.50 per month and wanted to cancel contract with them. I was put through to the Retentions department, here I negotiated my monthly bill down from £51.00 per month to £26.50 for a year, also one months free and they are sending me free of charge the on demand box. Happy Days thank you Martin 😀😀👏💻☎️📺
  • marcusjs
    Options
    Sky advised me that my £10.00 subscription would not be going up and then advised me that if I came back to sky I could get a 12 month contract with a 1/3 or more off. Took offer of more than £10.00 off and will be getting BT sport effectively at half price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure