MSE News: How to beat Sky price hikes

Options

Comments

• simples
    Options
    I have actually been sent a letter by Sky asking me to ring them to claim a 20% discount on my monthly bill for the next 12 months for being a loyal customer. Thought it was a scam, but checked it out and it is genuine. Not sure why I had to ring as opposed to them just giving me a discount.:j
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received my letter from Sky earlier last week, it explained my TV price (Original pack) was not affected, then went on to talk about the new Sky Talk call charges... It has zero effect on me, but thought I would try my chances!

So I went onto live chat and straight away I was offered 10% off my TV, line rental at £9.99, £10 off my Fibre Pro broadband all for 12 months and a £100 credit!!

I'm more than happy with this approx £317 saving I make it. :D
  • defairmans
    defairmans Posts: 962 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :oWe never have any lucky with Sky despite being with them for over 15 years. We were offered 10% off of the TV package, which amounted to £4 something as long as we signed up to another 12 month contract. Any advice?
  • karendorman13
    Options
    I rang sky and got £26.50 off for 10 months
  • karendorman13
    Options
    defairmans wrote: »
    :oWe never have any lucky with Sky despite being with them for over 15 years. We were offered 10% off of the TV package, which amounted to £4 something as long as we signed up to another 12 month contract. Any advice?

I told them BT offered to buy me out of my contract and that I was unhappy as my bills were getting more and more expensive
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    defairmans wrote: »

Give 31 days notice to CANCEL !!!!! Also make sure all your marketing preferences are set to "on" in MySky account pages. They will make you an offer before the 31 days are up -but the best offers are after the service has been switched off -remember you still get Freesat from Sky thru your box ...so if you can manage with the "free" channels for a few days ...... I got over £300 off the annual cost within 2 days of switch off:T
  • claire07
    claire07 Posts: 660 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m slightly embarrassed to admit we have been with Sky for years (still have non HD TV and original Sky+ box) and have never received offers. So as we need to change to new HD TV I think the time has finally come to bite the bullet and give 31 days notice and hope we might get a better offer and not to have to go through with it.

We currently have the Variety package with Sports and as OH loves football on Sky Sports this would be a good time to give notice. We currently pay £50 monthly. We have Virgin internet/broadband which we are happy with.

As I’ve never done this before what would be a reasonable offer to accept for Sky Variety or Family Package with Sports and a new HD box fitted?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    K
    claire07 wrote: »
    I’m slightly embarrassed to admit we have been with Sky for years (still have non HD TV and original Sky+ box) and have never received offers. So as we need to change to new HD TV I think the time has finally come to bite the bullet and give 31 days notice and hope we might get a better offer and not to have to go through with it.

We currently have the Variety package with Sports and as OH loves football on Sky Sports this would be a good time to give notice. We currently pay £50 monthly. We have Virgin internet/broadband which we are happy with.

As I’ve never done this before what would be a reasonable offer to accept for Sky Variety or Family Package with Sports and a new HD box fitted?
    Minimum 50% off for 12 months and new sky HD box. don't settle for anything less
  • Nicnamul
    Options
    Just phoned sky, asked to speak to retentions and have been given a £15 per month discount for 10 months on a Family package!
  • JackoBlaster
    Options
    For three years I - purposely - let my Sky TV package lapse for one month, i.e. cancelled my subscription. On each occasion Sky came back to me with a written offer of a 50% discount for 12 months if I returned (no continuation conditions after that 12 month period). This year I got the same 50%/12 month discount offer or a 40%/5 year discount (normal annual increases apply, although Sky cannot increase by more than 10%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure