Comments

• Bigwigg
    Bigwigg Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you need a BT line to get Sky?
  • Gentoo365
    Options
    How is this not 'loss of bargain' from a legal perspective?

I have a contract for 18 months which I agreed to pay and now they are changing the terms. I would understand if the change took place after the contract period but this seems pretty unfair. To come up with an agreement and then just say "actually pay more or cancel".

Why is it not possible to just reject the change and stick with the original agreement?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gentoo365 wrote: »

I have a contract for 18 months which I agreed to pay and now they are changing the terms. I would understand if the change took place after the contract period but this seems pretty unfair. To come up with an agreement and then just say "actually pay more or cancel".

Why is it not possible to just reject the change and stick with the original agreement?

Threaten to cancel, they will credit the price increase for 12 months usually.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    walio wrote: »
    After negotiations with retention dept. I got offered the following, but didn't agree yet, just saved to my account and got two weeks to accept/decline:

Big Bang (internet up from current 50 to 100 mbps) + 6 months Netflix + £50 credit + Sky Sports and Sky movies for 3 months and for total of £756.82 on new 18 month contract which works out at £39.27/month after their £50 credit.
    Which is not bad considering that I was paying £44 + 4 pound increase for Essentials package with 50 mpbs. We only signed up 8 months ago, got cashback of £160 paid already so those 8 months cost us only £114 which works at £14.25/month. Not bad.

The guy was trying to trick me into staying but I said no, I will take out new contract in my name as current contract is in my Mrs. He said we would have on a record that is is existing customer already and I would have to wait 3 months to get new customer's deal as well as they wouldn't honour new customer's deal, would have to pay £45 installation fee and so on.
    I didn't buy it, I said it is OK, i don't mind taking the risk and going quidco way which for the next 5 days is at £140 for my package and I told him that (which he verified).
    I just didn't give up and said OK just cancel it, I don't mind shopping around and I've done my homework, I have excel spreadsheet in front of me and I see what's best for me.

He said that others would only offer 6mbps internet in the area and I told I knew that already. He obviously did his homework too, but I am willing to do this anyway, I don't have issues with 6mbps internet, I told him I used mobile broadband for few months and that I have good internet at my other home as live between two cities (which is true).
    Just try it, you have nothing to lose. Even if they sound very convincing don't give up, just say - no cancel, I want best value for money and I don't think you can give that.

You cannot sign up with cashback in a different name for three months, on that point he was factually accurate.
  • jatinmistry_uk
    Options
    I currently pay £40/month + LRA already paid for:

Phone XL
    TIVO with Asian Mela
    20MB internet (to be increased to 50MB soon)

The letter I have received saying prices to go up by £3.99 from 1 February 2015

Has anyone else got cheaper or even prices frozen for similar package?
  • samblack
    Options
    Package:
    M Phone
    M+ TV
    L (?) 30 speed broadband
    Cost: £24.50 per month plus line rental saver of £144 for 12 months

Increase - £3.99 per month

Offered by Customer Services:
    Same Package, but with 50 speed broadband (which is being rolled out nationwide anyway), £3 per month discount for 6 months (so after 1st Feb a 99p increase until May / June) then £28.49 per month, netflix also included free of charge for 6 months. - Rejected so transferred to Disconnections?

Offered by Disconnections:
    Same package but with 50 speed broadband (which is being rolled out nationwide anyway), £20.50 per month until 1st February then £24.49 per month. 12 month contract. I asked if best offer and was told it was the cheapest broadband, tv and phone package in the country - said not if looked at talktalk etc and asked if Netflix could also be included for a month or so, the gentleman then said if i said yes to the package to him right now he would include it for 6 months free. So accepted and now after the increase I'm going to be paying 1p less per month than I am now.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gentoo365 wrote: »

Have to agree with this view. We're two months into our contract and our price is going up 12%.

Yes, they give us the option to cancel so we're not stuck with the contract, but we had a lot of hassle switching from Sky to Virgin and I took a day off work for the engineer visit.

The deal I signed up to said (and I quote) "£25.99 for 12 months". I do think it's unfair that they can say this in their marketing when they can then refuse to offer the price for the full 12 months as promised. They expect me to commit to the contract period. I'd like them to, too!

I know there's nothing I can do and I knew what the T&Cs were. It does grate though.
  • DocHants
    DocHants Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2014 at 6:02PM
    Options
    I love VM price increases as its an opportunity to negotiate a better deal!.. I was paying £80.50 soon to be £85 with the Feb increase...

I was 8 months into an 18 month contract.

This package includes 3 month free sky sports and movies and also 6 months Netflix, both of which will be ditched once the offers expire...

Big Kahuna BundleTalk Weekends
    TV Size: X L
    Additional V Box
    TiVo Monthly Fee
    TiVo Monthly Fee
    Broadband Size: XXL (Up to 152Mb)

Bundle charges total£60.50
    Promotional offer(s)£3.00 off For 6 Months
    3 Months Free Sports and Movies Taster
    Loyalty Discount £5 per month for 18 months

Promotional offer(s) total£42.25CRPhone line rentalTelephone Line Rental
    Phone line rental total£15.99Premium add-onsSky Movies 2
    Sky Movies 1
    Sky Sports 1
    Sky Sports 2

Premium add-ons total£34.25

New monthly package total*£68.49
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    samblack wrote: »
    Package:
    M Phone
    M+ TV
    L (?) 30 speed broadband
    Cost: £24.50 per month plus line rental saver of £144 for 12 months

Offered by Customer Services:

Offered by Disconnections:
    Same package but with 50 speed broadband (which is being rolled out nationwide anyway), £20.50 per month until 1st February then £24.49 per month.

You should be able to get that for less than £18 (rather than £25) if you had
    Low TV
    Low Phone

I think you still have some days to change your mind if you wanted.
  • Hi all!

First post - be gentle!

My letter says I have until 31 January to cancel, am I missing something?

Also, is it possible to just cancel the TV but keep the rest? the broadband is good for me (70meg is normal) but I can get a better deal on Sky for the channels. Has anyone successfully "carved" up their contract?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport