MSE News: Virgin Media customers to be hit with 5.9% price rise from February

Options

Comments

• DannyDB
    Options
    I want to leave Virgin Media. I am in a 12 month contract, although my prices haven't risen, I have recieved an email from them saying they are changing the terms of my contract from Feb 1st 2015! I am unhappy about this, would I still be eligible to leave penalty free? I don't agree with the latest terms changes!

Thanks!
  • labp04
    labp04 Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I want to help my mum leave VM. Does anyone have a VM address to write to make this happen? Thanks in advance.
  • flossie217
    Options
    labp04 wrote: »
    I want to help my mum leave VM. Does anyone have a VM address to write to make this happen? Thanks in advance.
    If your mum is out of contract then just phone them and go through to the cancellations department. Tell them you want to cancel all services and they will arrange the return of the box. You have to give one months notice. Most likely your mum will have to give her verbal permission for you to carry out the request on her behalf.
  • labp04
    labp04 Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, floss, job done!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just phoned Virgin.

I can "carve up" the contract. Cancel the TV completely and keep the BB and phone.

No extra costs to pay for cancelling:T

Interesting. I guess you were outside of minimum term - and they now enforced a new one, check your contract carefully, phone might be an 18 month minimum term.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but they've done something 'funky' to achieve it.
  • northwest1965
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    Interesting. I guess you were outside of minimum term - and they now enforced a new one, check your contract carefully, phone might be an 18 month minimum term.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but they've done something 'funky' to achieve it.

The original contract would have ended in May 2015. New contract is 12mths.

Didn't do anything but make a phone call to achieve it
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • fariefarie
    Options
    Any advice? I only joined Virgin 3 months ago phone and BB on a 12 month contract with 6 month discount of £15.50 (runs out in march.)

The letter they sent states I can end all or part of my service with them - I phoned Virgin and they're fine with ending just the phone line as we don't use it. The letter also states they will honour any discounts but when I phoned up to cancel, they said that they cant keep the discount and have to up my bb cost to £28 pm :( is this right?
  • Skintski
    Skintski Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 January 2015 at 1:25PM
    Options
    I'm a little confused. We have a virgin phone line and fibre optic broadband. We never use the landline, are we able to cancel the phone only or do the two run alongside?

We have been with them about three years plus so should be well out of contract.

TIA
  • valiantlady
    valiantlady Posts: 38 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2015 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Does anyone have the phone number for the retentions department?.

Rang before Xmas to go over the details of our bill as it was going up by £8.
    Apparently because we are on an old tarrif we have lost our discounts. Was offered a new deal with 6 months free Sky Sports. Rang back today and they have reduced the offer to 3 months.I also see that new customers are getting £100 off their bills on the website and if you go through Tesco 5000 club card points!.
    Annoyed with myself wish I'd accepted the deal last week.

So I thought I would contact retensions and try to cancel and see what that brings.
  • fariefarie
    Options
    Skintski wrote: »
    I'm a little confused. We have a virgin phone line and fibre optic broadband. We never use the landline, are we able to cancel the phone only or do the two run alongside?

We have been with them about three years plus so should be well out of contract.

TIA

You can just have broadband as it does not use the same line (BT etc need the phone line for the broadband to run on.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure