how do I make a serious complaint to Tesco?

Options

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I ever have issues with Tesco grocery deliveries, I email the address on the order note they leave you. They've always been very good - they usually ring back the same or the next day and email if they can't get through or I've requested an email instead of a call. They've never failed to resolve whatever the problem is.

Have you tried saying that you don't want the food in bags and asking for the crates to be placed on your table/work surface? Then you can unpack each item one at a time... which I'm assuming you could do or you wouldn't be able to get things out of the fridge/cupboard etc? If you just start doing it yourself, I imagine the delivery person would help to speed it up.

I think you were probably just unlucky with the driver you got - I've had one grumpy driver in the few years I've been using them and most are really friendly and helpful. When you check out, there is a box to enter any instructions to the driver and they always read it so you could just put in there that you will need crates lifting to the work surface so they know in advance. While I don't think they have a right to be rude, I do think it's fair to give them warning that more will be expected of them than usual so they can plan their time accordingly.
  • dodger1
    dodger1 Posts: 4,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully Tesco appealed because it wasn't discriminatory.
    hollydays wrote: »
    And your legal qualifications to say that;)

I don't believe it can be classed as discrimination because the lady was treated the same as everyone else, they don't offer the service to anyone. Mind you it was six years ago, maybe the law was different then.
    It's someone else's fault.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    dodger1 wrote: »
    I don't believe it can be classed as discrimination because the lady was treated the same as everyone else, they don't offer the service to anyone. Mind you it was six years ago, maybe the law was different then.

But they do offer the service to everyone
    "To your fridge door" and "will carry to your kitchen on request"
    Regardless to inform someone who has just stated they have a disability that "You are not normal" is entirely unacceptable.

The law hasn't changed - but this isn't a matter of law it is a case of the driver not providing the stated service and then at best accusing the customer of lying and at worst mocking them for their disability (the context of "You are not normal "isn't clear but either way had he said it to my son who is disabled I'd have been making damn sure he wouldn't ever be saying it again !!)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    But they do offer the service to everyone.

Did you notice that Dodger1 was commenting on checking tyre pressures?
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Regardless to inform someone who has just stated they have a disability that "You are not normal" is entirely unacceptable.

The law hasn't changed - but this isn't a matter of law it is a case of the driver not providing the stated service and then at best accusing the customer of lying and at worst mocking them for their disability (the context of "You are not normal "isn't clear but either way had he said it to my son who is disabled I'd have been making damn sure he wouldn't ever be saying it again !!)

dodger1 was commenting on the garage staff not putting air in tyres not the delivery.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, so sorry to hear you've had this problem. I agree with the recommendation to add a note to the delivery instructions section of the order. My experience is that the drivers don't always read this, but they do seem to do so a lot of the time (I have a note in mine saying to come to the back door, and find I get about 1 in 10 who don't).

It may also be worth you printing off the [art from the T&Cs which says the drivers will unload on request, highlighting it and showing the driver if he argues.

Also, make a note of the customer service number 0800 3234040. if the delivery direct refuses to help, call it then and there, explaining that the driver has arrived but is refusing to unload your bags, despite the note on your order, your specific request and the fact that you are, and have told him that you are, disabled.

On a purely practical level, you can simply refuse to sign to acknowledge the deliver y until he has unloaded the bags.

I do agree with the posters saying you should make a formal, written complaint. Tyre to make you letter as factual and unemotional as possible, so include the dates, order and driver number, state that you specifically asked the driver to take the bags out and that you informed him that you are disabled and cannot lift things, and that you are concerned both that their driver has behaved in a discriminatory way and that this has happened more than once and that you have made Tesco aware of it each time. Keep a copy of the letter.

Do you have a local ASDA? My former next door neighbour always used them as they would carry the bags up to her kitchen on the first floor and when she made them aware of her disability they would also give her a more specific delivery time than the norm. It may be that that was just a local manager, though (plus we lived fairly near the shop so I think they could pretty much guarantee that hers would be the first delivery of the run) She said Iceland were very good, too, but of close they have a more limited range of products.

Could you do 'click and collect' and get your carer to collect on her way to you, or is that not practical?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    And your legal qualifications to say that;)

Opinion, just that. Remember that if Tesco did appeal then they would not think it was right anyway
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options

Whoops!!..
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Opinion, just that. Remember that if Tesco did appeal then they would not think it was right anyway

Eh?.................
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2014 at 6:22PM
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    I don't believe he was discriminated against...

I suspect that the delivery driver would have treated anyone else in the same way, unless it was obvious that said person was disabled (ie in a wheelchair). On what basis does the driver have to believe that a person who looks healthy and non-disabled is disabled and unable to carry shopping?

Discrimination would be when the driver recognises that OP is disabled and thus removes a service which would otherwise be available. Maybe you could argue that OP has been discriminated against but in my eyes (maybe not the eyes o the law) this is a wishy washy version o discrimination which is kinda made up. The cash payouts might be good though

Unbelievable.....:rotfl:

I think the delivery driver WOULD know the op was disabled because they said :

" I explained again I have disabilities but he said that I wasn't normal as everyone else helps him with carrying it in. "
    That was the clue...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport