Ovo Energy Switching Problems

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My switch went through yesterday as scheduled on both accounts. I can still access my EDF account and am now waiting for their final billing.
    Ovo first DD taken as scheduled.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Airframe
    Airframe Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    My switch was scheduled 31st March and I am still waiting for my final bill from EDF. OVO second DD now taken, meanwhile EDF still taking DD's. Not happy about this situation, EDF say still waiting for readings whilst OVO still claiming 4-6 weeks for validation is normal!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Macman/Brewerdave, how are your switches away from EDF going? My account is supposed to transfer across today and I supplied meter readings to new supplier on Friday as requested. Account with new supplier not live as yet, but logging on to EDF account today, it no longer states contract ended, but has reverted back to the view I had when the account was "LIVE", and I still have the ability to submit meter Reads very odd. Hope I get a final bill soon, they owe me £100 based on final readings.

...I'm in exactly the same position as you!! I've calculated how much my balance with EDF SHOULD be (based on the readings given to OVO on 25th and assuming today's switch date as supplied,is correct)..it comes out at quite a bit less than my next DD due to EDF; so,in view of airframe's experience with EDF I intend to let them take a further DD in May...I'll then wait until early June and if I haven't heard from EDF I'll manually stop the DD as I'm not paying both suppliers for ever!!!:)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April 2014 at 8:20AM
    Options
    Further to my last reply,I've logged in to my EDF account -under contract details it is now showing a contract end date of 29th April and a DD amount of £0 ! So no idea what will happen on the 14th May when they should collect the next DD :)

@macman...how do you know that the switch has actually happened? Has the OVO website status changed or did you get an email?
  • papi34
    papi34 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I rang EDF last night to close my account. Despite receiving notification from OVO that they have taken over supply, EDF are saying that there has been not request to take over the gas supply. The Electric Supply went over on 21/4/14.

Is this normal?

I have emailed OVO but have received no reply.
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2014 at 9:43AM
    Options
    My switch from EDF was due to go through on 2nd April, gave final readings 29th March and have just received my final bill from EDF.... pretty good going I think!

I'm confused though, does this mean I owe them money or do they owe me?

Your final electricity bill

For 26 March 2014 - 01 April 2014 (7 days)
    The balance on your last bill
    (25 March 2014)
    £16.61 in debit
    You paid us credit £38.00
    (1 payment of £38.00)
    Your charges for this period (including VAT) £11.63

Your new account balance £9.76 in credit
    Total amount due £9.53
  • OVO_Energy
    OVO_Energy Posts: 60 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

Just spotted this and think there is a little confusion over the validation process. Once your energy supply has gone live with us and we've received your opening readings, the readings go through a validation process. The meter reading validation process is between Ovo, your previous supplier and a third party. This ensures that the readings are in line with any historical consumption records for the property in question and ensures you are not paying more then you need to.

This process is an industry regulated procedure followed by all energy suppliers which can take up to six weeks after starting on supply. As soon as we have received a confirmed meter reading the gas/electric supply will show on your online My Ovo account. At this stage we will be able to generate your first statement and your previous supplier will be able to send your final statement.

If you have started being supplied by us at Ovo and a previous supplier is still charging a direct debit it might be worth contacting the supplier and checking as to why this is. At Ovo we take the first direct debit around your start date which may clash with a direct debit from the previous supplier within the same month.

We do hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any questions for us.

All the best –Ovo
    Official Company Representative
    I'm a verified Ovo Energy representative. MSE has given me permission to reply to questions about the company, to help solve issues. (Check I'm on the verified companies list). I'm not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I have please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    I spoke too soon, I'm still waiting for my gas bill!
  • page3
    page3 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2014 at 12:27PM
    Options
    My switch (from EDF to ovo) happened 2 April and I gave ovo both gas and electricity reading on 31 March as requested.

My gas has switched, but my electricity is marked as switched but the reading hasn't been confirmed yet.

Today I received a final bill for electricity and normal bill for gas from EDF, even though ovo have gas completed and electricity outstanding!

To make matters worse the EDF final bill gives estimated readings for both. On calling them they tell me the gas is estimated but the electricity is what ovo gave them. This isn't what the bill says.

On emailing ovo, they claim to have given both readings, but don't know why they gave a made up reading and not the one I gave them! The figures are around £30 out so not worth contesting as it doesn't really matter to me who I pay, just so long as I don't pay both and my dd isn't increased due to 'higher than estimated consumption' due to an artificially low starting reading.

So EDF has electricity closed, gas still transferring. All readings estimated.
    OVO have gas transferred, electricity still transferring and god knows what readings as nowhere to look them up.

What a mess.
    2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 April 2014 at 12:59PM
    Options
    I was thinking of switching to Ovo for a comparison site saving of £60 a year.
    After reading this thread I`m not going to bother for the sake of a £1 a week and all the hassle.
    The other thing is Ovo`s £30 per fuel exit fee, which will wipe out any savings if I want out before the year is up.
    With continuing pressure from the gov., public and the regulator I can see better deals suddenly appearing from the big six and people are going to be stuck with Ovo for a year.

EDF may be £60 dearer but their bills are spot on and they`ve actually DECREASED my DD from next month even though I`m only £10 in credit from last week`s bill.

Sometimes cheaper isn`t cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport