PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chicken Stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Options

Comments

• morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya Martyn

Taste the stock - do you think it's okay? If not, then it's a learning experience - longer next time. If you like it, and YOU are the one to be eating it, get it fridged or frozen! IHTH

And well done for doing it! :T
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Benthosboy wrote: »
    Yes it does and much thanks but as I made the stock last night, it's obviously cooled down now, so, is it safe to warm it up and simmer it some more or would it be wiser to bin this one, try again, and learn from the experience?

Martyn.

It's a personal thing. Also depends what you want the stock for? If it is to be used for soup say, then you might prefer a stronger flavour more so that you'd like in a risotto or casserole.

I wouldn't reheat it again now as it was done last night, but neither would I chuck it out, if it's not strong enough you can crumble a bit of a chicken stock cube in or add some of the concentrate you can buy in bottles if you have any, when you go to use it.

Put this one down to experience and see how it goes next time.

:)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Benthosboy wrote:
    Hello all.

Sorry if I'm going over old stuff here but don't forget, I am multi-unskilled :D

Hmm... :)

Just added you onto a recent thread.

It helps if you do a search because, as you say, you might be going over old ground. :)

With over 950 pages of threads at 20 -25 per page we do manage to cover quite a lot of things :)

See the Quick search help sticky right at the top of the forum listing.

As for reheating - the usual advice is to make sure that the food is piping hot throughout. That means a minimum temperature everywhere of 72°C

You'll be simmering for a while longer yet - so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Benthosboy
    Options
    Thanks all and sorry to be a complete a**e.

The "stock" is in the bin and I'm in despair (again).

Martyn.
    LBM: 12.2.08.
    Debt-free as of July '09 :j and determined not to go there, ever again :mad:
    DFW Nerd Club #902 Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Benthosboy wrote: »
    Thanks all and sorry to be a complete a**e.

The "stock" is in the bin and I'm in despair (again).

Martyn.

Put this one down to experience and learn from your mistake :p

An Old Styler never throws anything out unless they really really have to ;)
  • davetaylor
    davetaylor Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a chicken carcass and loads of peelings and stuff and a slow cooker. Can anyone tell me how I can make chicken stock?
  • Witsend_2
    Witsend_2 Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    Just cover it all with water and cook slowly for a couple of hours sometimes its better to roast the bones first in gives a better depth of flavour.
    Remember every waking moment is a chance to turn it all around.;) Knowledge is the key to respect.:cool:

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I do it like this:

Break up carcass and put in SC with whatever else you have - onions bits, veggies bits, etc although I avoid cabbage or brocolli.

Add water to cover, some herbs, and pepper.

Put in SC overnight.

When it's done, I then put it all in a big saucepan and bring it to a rolling simmer for half an hour with lid on, then drain bits out of it.

I often just use this to make soup by putting the leftover meat in with some pearl barley and lentils. Simple and very tasty.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • davetaylor
    davetaylor Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks foe that. Should I add any salt as well. I like the idea of just using it to make a tasty soup! I was not sure how much water to add, but you think enough just to cover it all?
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    horsechestnut gave me this recipe:

Put 3 pints of water in a pot with the chicken carcass with half a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for one hour then turn off the heat and leave until cold.

Skim any fat off (leave in fridge overnight, if it makes it easier).

Freeze either in one lot, or in small 500g margarine tubs.

One pint = one stock cube
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family