PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chicken Stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Options

Comments

• susiesue_2
    Options
    jsut had chicken pie for our tea-gravy made with stock i made. i had a lot of liquid,i think that i may need to reduce it more than did. it was lovely. still got chicken left over too had a sandwich with it at luch time.
    free range £7.55 chicken (wouldn't normally have spent that much-thanks Hugh)-so far
    4 people ate a roast dinner last night.
    1 sandwich at lunch time
    3 people ate pie-1/3 left over.
    still chicken left.!!
    i think its was money well spent.
    susiesue
    Julius Caesar, and the roman empire, couldn't conquer the blue sky
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a free range chicken (Hugh again !) about £6.70 I think. 4 of us have had roast chicken on sunday, then I made up chicken broth for last night's dinner, & tonight we've just had chicken curry with the remaining meat. I'm quite impressed at getting 3 nights from one chicken ! I wasnt convinced at the chicken stock I made but the soup was nice enough. I'll definitely do this again. Thank you OS-ers !
    Regards
    Trigger
  • izoomzoom
    izoomzoom Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all lovely peoples ....

I am making some stock in the slow cooker as we speak ...

However, when I first did my chicken (in the slow cooker), I kept all the gooie jelly / veggies at the bottom, and threw them into the freezer.

I want to use this for veggie soup but am worried about the 'fat' in it, as I didn't scrap any of this off.

Will this be okay, and if it isn't can you give me some suggestions on how to use it up ????

Thank you all again
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    I have just cooked a large chicken and wanted to make stock from the carcass, which I haven't done before. I have done a search but can't find the recipe - can anyone help?

Just going out now (to pick up our new rescue dog :j ), so will thank any replies when I get back - just so you don't think I'm being rude!

Thanks.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi dora :)

I've just added you onto a useful thread.

Other threads on chicken stock are:-

Chicken stock threads

Edit:-
    And this link might help you use the search. Esp post #1 ...
    I searched but couldn't find anything ( quick search help )
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Benthosboy
    Options
    Hello all.

Sorry if I'm going over old stuff here but don't forget, I am multi-unskilled :D

I attempted to make chicken stock last night and I'm not sure if I've done it right. I basically chucked the carcass and veggies in a big pan, covered it all with water, brought it to the boil then left it to simmer for about 1 hour. Is that long enough? If not, can I bring it back to the boil and simmer it for longer or do I have to bin it and try again next time I have a chook? And when it's all done (properly :rolleyes: ) do I have to bin the "solids" or can I use them for anything else?

Thanks all.

Martyn.
    LBM: 12.2.08.
    Debt-free as of July '09 :j and determined not to go there, ever again :mad:
    DFW Nerd Club #902 Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I usually leave mine for as long as possible to make sure I have all the goodness out of the carcass.

You can't really use the carcass for anything after that as the bones are so soft after boiling they tent to go into mush.

I gauge my chicken stock by the taste, when it tastes "chickeny" then it is done enough, if it still tastes watery then I leave it to cook some more. I also season mine with a good pinch of maldon salt and about 6 - 8 whole peppercorns and a bay leaf as well as the onion and carrot.

If I do it in the slow cooker, then it gets left on overnight.

Hope this helps answer your query a wee bit :)
  • Benthosboy
    Options

Hope this helps answer your query a wee bit :)

Yes it does and much thanks but as I made the stock last night, it's obviously cooled down now, so, is it safe to warm it up and simmer it some more or would it be wiser to bin this one, try again, and learn from the experience?

Martyn.
    LBM: 12.2.08.
    Debt-free as of July '09 :j and determined not to go there, ever again :mad:
    DFW Nerd Club #902 Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I only make chicken stock if I have bought an organic chicken. I feel there is not much goodness in a factory hen.
    Normally about 1.5 hours on a slow simmer after bringing to the boil.
    Nice to save.
  • Wonder_Girl
    Options
    Benthosboy wrote: »
    Yes it does and much thanks but as I made the stock last night, it's obviously cooled down now, so, is it safe to warm it up and simmer it some more or would it be wiser to bin this one, try again, and learn from the experience?

Martyn.

All the food safety places swould say not to.

But I do :rolleyes: I always boil it, strain it then cool and pop in the fridge overnight and then reheat and reduce the next day.

I then split into little jam jars and freeze, lids off until frozen then pop the lids on,

Then i get them out as i need them and stand in a bowl of water to defrost the edges and then just pop it into what ever it's going into. :o
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family