PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chicken Stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Options

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I've started cooking whole chickens in the slow cooker but when I've stripped all the meat off can I add more water and leave bones in the slow cooker to make stock or does it have to be cooked quicker than this.

Thanks in advance

Cuddles:rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Grebe
    Grebe Posts: 5,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Hi

I've started cooking whole chickens in the slow cooker but when I've stripped all the meat off can I add more water and leave bones in the slow cooker to make stock or does it have to be cooked quicker than this.

Thanks in advance

Cuddles:rotfl:
    Hi Cuddles, the slow cooker is perfect for making stock from your already cooked chicken bones, just do as you have said, add more water, then perhaps a few vegs cut up small if you have any bay leaf add a couple, then cook on low for a few hrs. Strain then when cool you can freeze it for up to two months. Hope this helps. Remember you can freeze your cooked carcass and save it until you have more bones to turn into stock.:D
    "To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill" Sun Tzu
  • Grebe
    Grebe Posts: 5,107 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a thought Cuddles, if you are using the bones from cold then make sure you bring them to the boil with the water in a pan before you put them into the slow cooker.
    "To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill" Sun Tzu
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi cuddlymarm,

There's an earlier thread on making chicken stock in a slow cooker so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I've got some in my SC as we speak. I peeled the onion and put the peelings in. I cut the onion in half and I will rescue this for the finished soup. The same with four carrots. I had the end of some ancient celery and put it all in.

I put in loads of parsley stalks from the allotment, a sprig of rosemary, bay leaves, about a cup of leftover chicken gravy and some leftover veg.

When it is finished I'll rescue the veg I can and put the chicken left overs in the stock.
  • becks92
    becks92 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    Have got a chicken in my SC at the moment and wondered how to make stock with the carcass?

Thanks

Becks
    Married the love of my life on 28th April 2011 :T
    Re- Renovating our 1893 build 1970's renovated property oh the joys..
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i put a whole chicken in the sc....with a cup of water and a few herbs...cook it remove chicken and use...i pour the liquid that is left into a bowl and put overnight in fridge...in morning i skim off fat and use the rest as stock hth
    onwards and upwards
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    I use this recipe from Cottage Smallholder, and it is really good
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • t_obermory
    t_obermory Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just chuck it in with the left over veg peelings, if I haven't got any I put an onion halved with a carrot and chuck a bay leaf in there. Then just put the water in I would personally half fill it, but it takes a few goes (for me anyway) to work out the right quantity so you get jelly stock (I find it works perfectly well too if it doesn't solidify).

Then just turn it on and let it do its thing.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Don't forget to break the bones first - bash it with a rolling pin or something. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport