PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chicken Stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Options

Comments

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I put the whole thing in the SC. I also have no issue with rurning the SC off and leaving it in there for a day. Just reheat it thoroughly when you come back to it.

USe a broth mix in it (lentils pearl barley etc) with meat leftover from the chicken. That's all I put in to make soup and it tastes lovely.

Add veggies if you want - pretty much anything will work.

If you want, just strain it out and freeze it but remember you won;t then be able to freeze your soup.

Don;t worry too much! i've left stock for days after making it from an 8-day--old carcass and I'm still alive!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks skint chick! Just strained it into a bowl - looks good :grin:

Might freeze half to make fresh soup one day and make soup in a day or two when I get some veggies in with the other half - there is two litres after all :eek: :rotfl:

Thanks for you help.

C xx
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    THat's OK! I went out so have just logged back on. Glad it is looking good - two litres is a good amount so I'd definitely make the soup before freezing if possible. I freeze my soup in portions and take it to work - by lunchtime it has defrosted and I heat it in the microwave.

Or do half like you say - I put any old veg and meat in mine and it always makes lovely soup cos the stock is so tasty. You could ad bits of pasta too for a kind of minestrone.

Let us know how it turns out!
    :)
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks - its all in the fridge at the mo - but it doesn't look like there's any fat separating out? is that right? Its quite cloudy.
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    Thanks - its all in the fridge at the mo - but it doesn't look like there's any fat separating out? is that right? Its quite cloudy.

I don;t ususally get much on mine. THe fat is in the juices from the roast, which I think you said you didn;t have? I get a yellowish scum on top that hardens int eh fridge. sometimes I skim this off, sometimes I can;t be bothered. I actually think it adds flavour so tend to leave it.

Mine is always cloudy - it is clear till I do it on the hob and then it goes cloudy, but I like it like that which is why I do the hob bit!

It all sounds like it's going as it should to me. :A
  • kparka
    kparka Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    argh i tried to do this by guessing how to make the stock before ive found this post... i didnt reduce my stock after straining it, will it make it a weak stock? All i did was boil my carcass & veg for AGES then strain it. There was hardly any fat to take off but i thought this might vary so just put the liquid into containers & have frozen it. Did i do it all wrong & have i ruined it now?

Currently got another chicken stock going in the slow cooker as realised i could be using this instead of leaving my gas hob on for ages (my gas bill was not nice last time!)

Any replies to if i have messed up the 1st lot would be appreciated.

Kerry
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It doesn;t sound to me like you've messed it up as that is all I do. You could reduce it by simmering it I guess, but I'd just use it as the basis for a nice soup.

Next time, save the juices from orasting the chicken, put int eh fridge, scrap off the fat and the jellied liquid is a rich stock that will add loads of flavour to your soup.

But in terms of the carcass I just boil and strain it too.
  • wendy+5
    wendy+5 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have several carcasses in the freezer. Can I make soup/stock in the slow cooker or am I better off giving them to MIL and letting her do them in the pressure cooker.

Thanks.
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    I've done it in the slow cooker tons of times - works fine.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    They'll work fine for soup in the slow cooker. Put carcass in boiling water, this will reduce the amount of scum on the surface.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport