PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chicken Stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Dave,

There's an earlier thread with some tips on making stock in a slow cooker that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    davetaylor wrote: »
    Thanks foe that. Should I add any salt as well. I like the idea of just using it to make a tasty soup! I was not sure how much water to add, but you think enough just to cover it all?

I don't add salt. I wait until I'm cooking with the finished stock.

I use between 2 and 3 pints of water.

I also cheat and make mine in the pressure cooker.......it only takes 20 minutes.:D
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fizzel81 wrote: »
    am i the only one who just used the chicken carcuss/skin etc for a stock, ive never thought to add veg peelings onions etc

No; I've just used the carcass and not necessarily added anything else; its always been fine. I have some stock in the fridge to make soup tomoorrow.
  • 2cats1kid
    2cats1kid Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    When I do chicken in a slow cooker, I don't add any extra water as the chicken normally has loads of water in it anyway. When it is done cooking, it is sitting in a fatty broth. I pour all of it into a pyrex, leave it to cool then put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, there will be a fatty layer (chicken fat) which you scrape off and discard. Serious OSers will probably use the fat for something, but I tried using it for frying and it was pretty gross, so I discard it. The layer underneath is jelly-like and is your stock. (It is seriously good stock, too. :) ) You shouldn't need to boil the bones. In fact I have tried reboiling the bones and whatever skin the cat hasn't scrounged, and it was pretty useless as all the goodness had gone from the bird in that first cooking. I have to say I take every scrap off the carcass when I first cook it, as it comes off really easily when warm. Maybe if you don't strip the carcass straight away or quite as thoroughly, it might be worth it.

But like I say, I get my pot roast and stock in one step - no further faffing around.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I forgot to mention I use the fat and juices I drained from the roasting, skimmed when cool.

nd yes, Dave, just cover the carcass with water - that should be loads actually. Sometimes I add more later when I make the soup if there's not enough there. It's not an exact science, just play around with it.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iguana wrote: »
    No; I've just used the carcass and not necessarily added anything else; its always been fine. I have some stock in the fridge to make soup tomoorrow.

And made Carrot with Orange Soup last night; it was lovely!!!!!!!
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bumping the thread for the stupid amoungst us (oh, just me then :rolleyes:)

I have yesterdays carcass in the fridge.
    I want to make a chicken/chicken&vegetable soup eventually.
    Do I need to get 'stock' fromt he carcass first?
    Do I just put the carcass in the SC overnight with a pint or two of cold/warm/hot water?
    Then what do I do in the morning?
    Then how do I turn it into soup?

Sorry but I'm no good at this yet!

C xx
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Skint_Catt, I do exactly that - chuck the carcass and hot water from the tap in the SC, if I have some I add ends of onions and carrots, some herbs, whole peppercorns, leave it over night to cook.

Next day, I put it in a saucepan and bring it to a rolling simmer for half an hour till it goes cloudy, then strain the liquid off, add the jellied stock (congealed juices I poured out of the roast pan), and then add shredded meat and pulses (soupe borth mix from Tesco) and cook for another 40 mins.

Ta da! Soup. :D
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    Its in the SC as we speak! Smelling mighty fine!

Do you put it ALL in the saucepan bones 'n' all?

At what stage do I freeze it if I haven't time to make soup this week?

I don't have any jellied stock or veggies at the mo. When I defrost it what do I need to add to make soup?

• Skint_Catt
    Options
    bump - can anyone help as above? I want to turn my SC off but don't want it to congeal and then be unable to do anything with it. I just want to freeze the essential bit for soup at a later date now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport